Occasional Contributor
SoniaG
Founder
Accepted Solution

Error : Unable to connect to proxy server

[ Edited ]

just done a malwarebytes full scan.  It came up with Pup things. I ticked all the boxes to remove. Now the main computer cannot connect to internet.  It seems to be something to do with proxy server. Its obviously gone missing on main computer but all is ok on laptop. I have windows xp & use Internet explorer.  I'm not good with under the bonnet stuff so please speak in English!!!  Would appreciate help to get back to normal.  By the way I did try a restore but that doesn't seem to work either.

New Contributor
byrnesy65

Re: Unable to connect to proxy server

usually when I have those issues I change the dns settings on my router

primary to 8 8 8 8

secondary to 8 8 4 4

this uses google instead of talktalk and has some protection built in, so may help establish connection

not really ,my thing routers but thats what I do

you prob have them set to auto so just uncheck the auto assign and try those above

you can always check the box again if it fails

Occasional Contributor
SoniaG
Founder

thank you for your response although I do not understand what I have to do!!  What is DNS & where do I find it?  In the past I have been fortunate to have someone deal with setting everything up - sadly that is not an option now hence my lack of understanding.  The main computer & laptop are connected by a ?Lan network. and have a wireless router.  As I said the laptop connects to the internet ok so I don't think that is the problem.  Something on the main computer  has changed but I cannot fathom what.  Any ideas!

Occasional Contributor
SoniaG
Founder

just found under network  connections the Lan bit.  Above it is broadband which says disconnected and WAN miniport (PPPOE)  I don't think it said that before & anyway I cannot get it to reconnect

New Contributor
byrnesy65

Hi

as far as I am aware talktalk are your proxy and if you cannot connect via a proxy the google dns settings could be the proxy going forwards,

Ideally you need to be connected to your router with a cable(ethernet) the in your browser type in the address for it

like 192.168.2.1 or similar you should have this somewhere or TT can advise if they know your router make and model

you will have to enter a password usually admin if it hasn;t been changed then if you are succesful you will see menus and one will lead you to DNS

simply uncheck the auto box (which is currently picking up TT) and amend to the numbers above you cant break it.

then restart your router and reconnect your devices.

If ypu are using windows check the connection scenter settings on your pc too and make sure this looks ok

BEFORE ANY OF THAT THOUGH TRY  to see if there are any add ons in your internet settings that are stopping cconnection

start your browser

click on tools

internet settings

programs

manage add ons

disable everything except your search providers like google

hope you get there hopefully someone more learned than myself will step in to help

Occasional Contributor
SoniaG
Founder

something really weird is happening.  I was just starting to check a few of your suggestions when an automatic update started & has completed.  Does that mean one way traffic is happening - ie in but not out

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan
Founder

[ Edited ]

rogue programmes will typically try and use their own 'proxy' to route your internet traffic through, when you remove the programme you need to reset your internet connections to automatic.

as a picture paints a thousand words and all that, have a read of this;

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Computers-Gaming/Setting-Windows-XP-network-settings-to-Automati...

regards

Fred

P.S. in LAN settings, make sure use proxy is NOT ticked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that doesnt sort it, there is another way around it;

It is very important that these steps be carried out exactly as shown otherwise the fix will not work.
If you have any questions please ask before moving on.

Please start Notepad and using your mouse make sure you select and copy all the information below in the Code box into your new document. (all of the text in the grey box below is the code needed)

Then save the file as "fixme.bat" to your Desktop (you can call it something else if you want, but make sure the extension used is .bat 

In the drop down box for Save as type: make sure you select All Files (*.*) and keep the quotes on the name as well. Then close the new file.

• @ECHO OFF
    reg delete"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"/v ProxyServer/f
    reg delete"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"/v ProxyOverride/f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"/v ProxyEnable/t REG_DWORD /d 0/f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"/v GlobalUserOffline/t REG_DWORD /d 0/f
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

On Windows XP you can double-click the file to run it.

On Vista/Win7 you need to Right click the file and choose Run as administrator to run it. With User Account Control on it should ask permission to run it. Click Yes

This will flash a black DOS box very quickly and go away, this is normal.

Restart your computer now.

Launch Internet Explorer and see if you can connect to the Internet.

Occasional Contributor
SoniaG
Founder

Eureka!!! Done it.  Thank you so much guys for your input with this.  It turned out to be the proxy box thing.  As it was the main computer that wasn't working I originally only looked at that but the laptop needed doing too. Dah!!  But I will keep all your other suggestions on standby for future reference.