New Contributor
wrufus

can't send emails from ipad

[ Edited ]

Cannot send emails from iPad

I have recently purchased an iPad mini with latest IOS 7.0.4 software settings but find I cannot send my talktalk emails when connected to Cellular 3G.  I can receive emails and send and receive Gmail via 3G.  When connected to my home wi-fi I can send and receive talktalk emails.  I have not tried other wi-fi connections but I suspect they will not send my talktalk emails either.

I have contacted Apple but all they say is I must contact my ISP and obtain an additional outgoing mail server but they warn not all email service providers support additional outgoing mail servers on iOS devices.  I have put this to the TalkTalk Technical Help but they seem to have ducked it and just sent me details of how to add their email account which was exactly what I already had.  Does anybody know if TalkTalk support additional servers?

I have re-entered all the setting data many times but to no effect.  Looking on the Apple Support forum there appear to be many others having similar problems although with other email accounts.

Has anyone else had problems sending talktalk emails via Cellular or remote (not home) wi-fi connections on iPads?  Does anyone have a solution?

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Re: can't send emails from ipad

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forum

When connected to the 3G network to send mail you need to use that networks outgoing mail servers, not talk talks that is why it fails;

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Mobile/Sending-Mail-from-your-mobile/m-p/750832#M281

regards

New Contributor
wrufus

Hello Fred,

Thanks for your information.  The information from your link makes much sense and is clear.  However, I have added 2 additional outgoing mail server addresses (my 3G network provider is "Three" so I have added both as I did not know which to select from your list) but I'm still unable to connect and send emails via my cellular connection?

Below are my settings. Do I have something wrong?

iPad mail settings

POP ACCOUNT INFORMATION

Name:                  My Name

Email:                   myname@talktalk.net

Description:       Talk Talk Email

Incoming Mail Server

Host Name:        mail.talktalk.net

User Name:        myname@talktalk.net

Password:           my password

Outgoing Mail Server

Primary Server

Host Name:        smtp.talktalk.net

User name :        myname@talktalk.net

Password:           my talktalk password

Use SSL :               on

Authentication:                Password

Server Port:        587

Other SMTP Servers (Outgoing)

Host Name:        smtp-mbb.three.co.uk

User Name:        Optional (left – did not have it)

Password:           Optional (left-did not have it)

Use SSL:               on

Authentication: nothing selected

Server Port:        587

Host Name:        smtp.three.co.uk

Other settings as above (note: did not know which to choose from your list)

I would be grateful if you could check whether I have them correct or not.

If correct, could it be something to do with problems Apple appear to be experiencing since recently changing their software from version 6 to 7? 

regards  

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Change the order so it uses the cellular first, that way it should only try sending via talk talk when not on cellular, i.e. when using your home wifi

It tries the servers in the order they are stored

other issues are port number sometimes, they don't always use the standard IMAP port, or the encryption bit, do you have any other encryption modes (sorry not an Apple user to check myself at present)

New Contributor
wrufus

[ Edited ]

Fred_Sheehan wrote:

Change the order so it uses the cellular first, that way it should only try sending via talk talk when not on cellular, i.e. when using your home wifi

It tries the servers in the order they are stored

other issues are port number sometimes, they don't always use the standard IMAP port, or the encryption bit, do you have any other encryption modes (sorry not an Apple user to check myself at present)

Thanks Fred for your reply.

I have put the 3G cellular settings in as the Primary outgoing server and yes it now sends the emails!!  Hooray - Thanks very much for that.

The downside now is that with talktalk set as an additional outgoing server, it will not send emails when connected to my home wifi even with the cellular primary outgoing sever turned off!  It seems with a talktalk email account nothing at all can be sent via the additional outgoing servers.  Is this what Apple mean when they state on their website "Not all email service providers support additional outgoing mail servers on iOS (Apple) devices"?  Implying TalkTalk is one such provider!

If so, this means I would have to keep changing my settings if using home wifi.  As it happens it is probably easier to always send emails via the cellular system which is my primary requirement anyway.  Altough it does not say too much for the Apple (or TalkTalk) systems.  I'm sure I used to send talktalk emails previously on an Android 3G tablet (albeit erratically)  on wifi and cellular without having to change settings!

Is my above system conclusion correct and does it make sense or should I be trying something else?

Anyway, thanks for your help Fred.  You have acheived what hours of telephone chat and emails to TalkTalk, Three and Apple technical help lines have failed to solve.

Regards 

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

I don't use Apple kit much, only when friends come over or I am asked to trouble shoot things, so I don't know if it will always default to WiFi when available for data, which is what email is classed as.

Android devices will, so setting cellular then home WiFi works as one might expect, as they will prefer WiFi over the cellular carrier to keep data use/costs down.

I know many users with Apple devices are often on unlimited data plans, so this saving of data by using WiFi may be a moot point, and is perhaps why it doesn't work as you might exect, Apple probably meant it to be that way.

All it really means of course is that now your not ever testing the outgoing server from talk talk over WiFi or anything else.

Servers are used in order, so if the cellular is 'always active', it tries that first (even at home it would seem) and so has no need to go any further down the list of those available.

I would check the settings for an 'always send data over WiFi when available' or similar, it will normally be in the mobile data setings somewhere. Perhaps iOS simple doesn't do this, I am sure some of our forums Apple fans may be of help here!

Regards

Fred

Occasional Contributor
Riva Joffe

Fred you have so many ideas and I thank you for coming up with the latest ones. Of course sending over wifi is not the problem. I was trying to get the phone to send over 3G.

I am a bit mystified over this statement of yours (below) as when wifi was available my phone always chose it. It never chose 3G:

Servers are used in order, so if the cellular is 'always active', it tries that first (even at home it would seem) and so has no need to go any further down the list of those available.

BUT....I have been to the Apple shop and I share this idea for you and others, if you like it.

The problem ismainly with Talt Talk. But only with the pop server. Webmail sends via 3G no problem at all. But it is cumbersome to get into.

So I asked the Apple person for a 'patch' or 'fix' to make it a one-click entry and they offered me this:

Make a shortcut so I don't have to do the long Safari....webmail.....open....enter password....wait interminably...

He then suggested using icloud's Keychain to 'remember' the password.

So now it's two clicks and I'm in.

The Apple person actually recommends that I change to Gmail and use transfering as an interim measure. I agree about this as Talk Talk aren't behaving as a 21st Century company should. So I will get round to that at some point.

Thanks again

Happy Xmas and New Year.

Riva

Occasional Contributor
Hunky

Hi wrufus,

I have been having the same problem from my ipad but today it has gone away - and I have not made any changes to the setup.  So if your outgoing server setting is smtp.talktalk.net  then it should work.

I've been going on about this for some time now and I guess they have just gotten around to sorting out there server end.

Cheers

Hunky