New Contributor
wrufus

can't send emails from ipad

[ Edited ]

Cannot send emails from iPad

I have recently purchased an iPad mini with latest IOS 7.0.4 software settings but find I cannot send my talktalk emails when connected to Cellular 3G.  I can receive emails and send and receive Gmail via 3G.  When connected to my home wi-fi I can send and receive talktalk emails.  I have not tried other wi-fi connections but I suspect they will not send my talktalk emails either.

I have contacted Apple but all they say is I must contact my ISP and obtain an additional outgoing mail server but they warn not all email service providers support additional outgoing mail servers on iOS devices.  I have put this to the TalkTalk Technical Help but they seem to have ducked it and just sent me details of how to add their email account which was exactly what I already had.  Does anybody know if TalkTalk support additional servers?

I have re-entered all the setting data many times but to no effect.  Looking on the Apple Support forum there appear to be many others having similar problems although with other email accounts.

Has anyone else had problems sending talktalk emails via Cellular or remote (not home) wi-fi connections on iPads?  Does anyone have a solution?

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Re: can't send emails from ipad

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forum

When connected to the 3G network to send mail you need to use that networks outgoing mail servers, not talk talks that is why it fails;

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Mobile/Sending-Mail-from-your-mobile/m-p/750832#M281

regards

New Contributor
wrufus

Hello Fred,

Thanks for your information.  The information from your link makes much sense and is clear.  However, I have added 2 additional outgoing mail server addresses (my 3G network provider is "Three" so I have added both as I did not know which to select from your list) but I'm still unable to connect and send emails via my cellular connection?

Below are my settings. Do I have something wrong?

iPad mail settings

POP ACCOUNT INFORMATION

Name:                  My Name

Email:                   myname@talktalk.net

Description:       Talk Talk Email

Incoming Mail Server

Host Name:        mail.talktalk.net

User Name:        myname@talktalk.net

Password:           my password

Outgoing Mail Server

Primary Server

Host Name:        smtp.talktalk.net

User name :        myname@talktalk.net

Password:           my talktalk password

Use SSL :               on

Authentication:                Password

Server Port:        587

Other SMTP Servers (Outgoing)

Host Name:        smtp-mbb.three.co.uk

User Name:        Optional (left – did not have it)

Password:           Optional (left-did not have it)

Use SSL:               on

Authentication: nothing selected

Server Port:        587

Host Name:        smtp.three.co.uk

Other settings as above (note: did not know which to choose from your list)

I would be grateful if you could check whether I have them correct or not.

If correct, could it be something to do with problems Apple appear to be experiencing since recently changing their software from version 6 to 7? 

regards  

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Change the order so it uses the cellular first, that way it should only try sending via talk talk when not on cellular, i.e. when using your home wifi

It tries the servers in the order they are stored

other issues are port number sometimes, they don't always use the standard IMAP port, or the encryption bit, do you have any other encryption modes (sorry not an Apple user to check myself at present)