Contributor
steventwp

Changing from Windows Mail to Thunderbird

Hello all

Save a long story, can I ask - is it possible to download Thunderbird then import all your messages/folders/addresses from Windows Live Mail?

Have spent hours trying to but failed.

Thanks

Steven

P.S. I want to keep my talktalk email address
Frequent Contributor
roland

Re: Changing from Windows Mail to Thunderbird

Yes, it is.
Having said that it took me several attempts over a year or so to get anything to import. Finally, three months age, everything went OK.
I haven't the slightest knowledge as to why it didn't import the message and address book files for all this time, nor why it did so in the end.
By the way, It was worth the wait.
...propter Stentoris clamorem
Contributor
steventwp

Ha ha you tease.

Well according to the blurb on the new Thunderbird you are supposed to be to do it. But hours spent trying proved futile.

Steven
Super Contributor
barney

I believe you can only convert windows mail files to thunderbird files by first converting them into a csv file (spreadsheet file) and then importing those into thunderbird. This is a complex and time consuming process,

If you are using TT webmail to store all your emails you should find that thunderbird will automaticaly show these locally when you create your thunderbird account - this is what happened in my case when I moved from widows mail to thunderbird.

Kind regards

Barney
Contributor
steventwp

Thanks Barney.

Yes I could transport my Address Book as I often back that up as a CSV file.

I am using Windows Live Mail and I can't seem to save my email folders or email messages into anything else to then import into Thunderbird.

I might have wait longer, I did read somewhere they were working on this problem as you can import Outlook and some other email programmes easily.

Thanks again

Steven
Valued Contributor
baz134dog

Contributor
steventwp

Thanks for the link Baz

Yes, I see others having similar problems.

I did install Thunderbird, but like one of the posters the import/export extension did not work.

I think it best I wait for their promised 'easier' version which they say will import ALL info from Windows Live Mail.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and am getting more convinced that I was too eager to rid myself of Vista as I and a friend are both coming across a few incompatibilities and having to wait for updates.

Best for now

Steven
Frequent Contributor
Stuartli

Thunderbird should import the required information itself when you install it (at least it did for me!)

Windows Mail works in a similar fashion when installed.
Contributor
steventwp

Yes Stuart,

That's why I thought it a good time to change over.

I might try again when I have some spare brain power!!

Thanks

Steven
Super Contributor
Jake

Originally Posted by steventwp
Thanks for the link Baz

Yes, I see others having similar problems.

I did install Thunderbird, but like one of the posters the import/export extension did not work.

I think it best I wait for their promised 'easier' version which they say will import ALL info from Windows Live Mail.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and am getting more convinced that I was too eager to rid myself of Vista as I and a friend are both coming across a few incompatibilities and having to wait for updates.

Best for now

Steven

this is nothing to do with vista or 7 :smileymad:
Contributor
steventwp

Hello Jake

I never said it was to do with Vista. I was explaining that I moved from Vista to Windows 7.

The explanation was because since that move myself and my friend have both experienced different incompatibilities.

I said I was "convinced" it was to to with 64b and or Windows7.

If you know otherwise I would be grateful for instruction rather than the reply offered.

Kind Regards

Steven
Super Contributor
Jake

I changed over to gmail a while ago as it supports
Imap. I got fed up with live mail only being compatible with pop.

(imap basically synchronises the mail in all clients, as well as contacts etc.)

This is the only advise I can offer you. So your problem only exists because of Microsoft bot supporting imap.
Contributor
steventwp

Thanks Jake

Yes, it does seem a microsoft issue.

Am sure I read somewhere that Thunderbird were working on an easy way to do this transfer. I don't want to change my Talktalk email address as I have not long moved.

I'll put with the Windows Mail till an easy way forward is found.

Many Thanks

Steven
Super Contributor
barney

I use Thunderbird and it automatically downloaded all my emails from the TT webmail server into the appropriate folders with no problems as it uses IMAP as Jake has said. If your emails are still in the TT webmail account Thunderbird should do this for you too.

It may be that you just have to go to "view" (in thunderbird), then to "folders" in the drop down menu and then select "unified" to show all the appropriate folders - this is what I had to do to see my downloaded folders and mail.
Contributor
steventwp

Thanks Barney

My emails are in Windows Live Mail.

It says on the Thunderbird website that it can transfer from Windows Mail. Yet there is a forum there with people not being able to do so.

I bow to everyone's computer knowledge as mine is limited to 'basic computer skills'.

I've not given up just yet.

Steven
Super Contributor
barney

That's a shame. I thought windows live mail was simply an email client though which simply connected to the TT webmail system to acces the mail from there. I used windows mail before I switched to win7 and had to use Thunderbird instead. Have you checked your TT mail account to see if the mails are still stored in there? if they are you may find my suggestion above works.
Contributor
steventwp

Nope, they are not stored there, I just checked.

Also just checked on Thunderbird import list

Address books
Mail
Settings
Filters

The only one it will import is the Settings from Windows Live Mail.

All the others do not get the option.

I know how to transfer the address book as mentioned before, via CSV file.

thanks very much for guidance, but it is taking so much of my time, am going to leave it.

Steven
Super Contributor
barney

I just hope mozilla bring out a new edition of thunderbird soon to allow it to be compatible with live mail. there have already been 2 very recent updates to thunderbird, so I think it may not be a long wait. Mozilla seem to be very proactive in resolving issues.

Good luck.:smileywink: