Frequent Contributor
Nubz
Founder

How to set a static ip with Netgear DG834G V2

I host a vent server so a small group of my friends can talk. But my ip changes, because my parents like to turn the router off at night... and my ip gets re-newed every time it is turned back on. And i have to keep sending everyone the new ip. I know there is a way to set a static ip, but i'm not the smartest when fiddling with my router.

Does anyone know any instructions, or a simple steps to do so?
Super Contributor
ETEE
Founder

Re: How to set a static ip with Netgear DG834G V2

You can't get a static IP on TT residential service. You need their business service. Persuade your parents to leave the router on. :smileywink: :smileywink:
ETEE

talkTALK LLU since Oct 2006

onetime inexperienced member
Anonymous(anon)

Hi Nubz

TalkTalk don't supply a static Ip however there are ways around using services like DYNDND

Ive never personally done it but sure some people on here may be able to shed some light. :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Nubz
Founder

Thanks for the quick replys, also... can you look at my other thread. It seems to be getting ignored.

www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491
Super Contributor
Squawk
Founder

as an alternative to dyndns, which I must admit looks like a good service, I can also recommend no-ip.com, which I have used in the past, though not for a few years.
Wifi Security At the minute an article about wireless networking security:smileymad:
Wifi Security simplified An easy to understand guide to wireless security, no jargon.
## Squak Sqark Squark Sqwak Squawerk Squack Sqauwke Sqwark Sqwauk Sqwawk Sqwuak Sqauwk Squalk Squawky Sqwuark Squawlk Squwak Sqawk Squawkk Skuawk Squwark Squake Karma
(Sqwak, sorry Squwak)
Regular Contributor
illusion786
Founder

As Daniel mentioned try using DynDns, the client is built into your router. So no matter how many times the router gets rebooted your dns will all ways point to your ip.
Contributor
EricD
Founder

I run a webserver and Joomla from home and have been using dyndns for a few years now and can certainly recommend it.