Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

How do I setup Outlook for TalkTalk Email address

Does anyone know the Outlook settings which will allow me to SEND Emails when I am connected to networks other than TalkTalk.  I understand it might need to be set to something other than POP3.

Regular Contributor
Robbie_d

Re: How do I setup Outlook for TalkTalk Email address

The other side of the coin, is IMAP...  Is it that you are referring to??

Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

Imap is something I have heard of, but I am no techy so don't know or understand the implications

Regular Contributor
Robbie_d

I think, for someone to assist you with what you are trying to do, they'll need a bit more detail as to exactly what you are trying to set up and what problems you've encountered so far...

Super Contributor
Nigel
Founder

Hi JohnS1,

When you set up the account in Outlook, configure it manually (rather than allow automatic configuration by Outlook). Select IMAP as the account type.

The settings are:

Incoming Server IMAP

server: mail.talktalk.net

port: 143

encryption: none

authentication: username/password

Outgoing Server SMTP

server: smtp.talktalk.net

port: 587

encryption: TLS (see note 1)

authentication: username/password

Note 1

TalkTalk help shows SSL for this setting, but I have found that it is necessary to select TLS in Microsoft Outlook 2007. However, there is no consistency. In Windows Live Mail, it works with SSL for the setting. (TLS superseded SSL, and is not backward compatible.)

Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

I have managed my TalkTalk Email address for years using Microsoft Outlook having followed all of the settings recommended by TalkTalk and this is using the POP3 thing.  I have had no problems RECEIVING Emails through Outlook wherever I am logged on, but never been able to SEND Emails from anywhere other than home, where I am on a TalkTalk connection.  I believe it is a known issue but I have never managed to get a coherant solution.  I have now invested in a new laptop and about to set up Outlook again and was hoping someone knew how to set it up properly to overcome this SENDING problem.

Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

That sounds like a plan.  Will let you know how I get on.

Ta

Super Contributor
Nigel
Founder

Sending with the settings in my earlier post is not working yet again. For sending whilst away from aTalkTalk landline, I recommend using another SMTP server (Gmail, Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com).

Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

I do have other Email addresses but my talktalk account is used for my work also and would be inconvenient to change. Is talktalk the only provider who this unfortunate issue?
Super Contributor
Nigel
Founder

Hi JohnS1,

JohnS1 wrote:
I do have other Email addresses but my talktalk account is used for my work also and would be inconvenient to change. Is talktalk the only provider who this unfortunate issue?

Whilst, in my opinion, you are more likely to have a reliable email service by using another provider, that is not what I was suggesting in my previous post. I was suggesting that you send your TalkTalk emails via another provider's SMTP server.

OCE_Chris
Topics: 1
Kudos: 599
Solutions: 275
Founder

Hi JohnS1,

Welcome to the Community

How are you getting on? Please let us know if you need any further assistance 

Chris

Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

Hi Chris. My new PC is in having the data transfer done and I have asked them to set up Outlook, but from previous postings I am not confident that the IMAP settings are going to solve the problem. It seems strange that TalkTalk haven't got a definitive solution for this issue as it would seem many users are experiencing a similar problem when using Outlook or similar. I'm no techy so I don't understand what is causing the problem.
OCE_Chris
Founder

Hi JohnS1,

The SMTP settings are the important settings for sending (imap and pop3 only relate to incoming email)

Please let us know if you experience any further problems when you get your PC back :smileyhappy:

Chris

Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

Hi Chris. I am due to collect my new laptop this afternoon so will check on email settings. However I have been following another thread which is discussing exactly the same issue but on iPhone/iPad. Is it possible that TalkTalk can publish the setting details for various devices when they have proved there viability. I am sure if these were published prominently somewhere it would reduce the heartache many users seem to have been experiencing.
OCE_Chris
Founder

Hi JohnS1,

Thanks for the update 

We do have help articles explaining how to set up email on various devices :smileyhappy:

How do I set up my email?

Chris

Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

I will certainly look at them, but have they been fully test driven to ensure full functionality in the various modes of connection. Ie other providers networks.
OCE_Chris
Founder

They have certainly been tested but it would be very difficult for testing to cover every possible scenario.

Chris

Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

Hi Chris

I have at long last managed to get my new laptop up and working.  To get it to access Email has been a major truma.  It has taken me an hour in PC World, an hour on the phone to TalkTalk tech support, then 5 hours on the phone to Microsoft tech support who iused remote access to resolved the issues and all now seems to be well.  Microsoft suggested that the only way in which Emails can be sent from Outlook to a server not on a TalkTalk connection is to change the outgoing server settings each time.  Now I am no expert but this would seem to be a bit of a phaff.  Is this something TalkTalk tech support would be able to comment on or help with?  At the moment I am just happy that I have Email once again.  I need sleep now before contemplating any further excursions into the depths of software.

Many thanks to the mighty Microsoft.

OCE_Chris
Founder

Hi JohnS1,

Thanks for the update.

"Microsoft suggested that the only way in which Emails can be sent from Outlook to a server not on a TalkTalk connection is to change the outgoing server settings each time."

Sorry, I'm not really sure what Microsoft are advising here, could you give a bit more detail.

Thanks

Chris

Occasional Contributor
JohnS1

Hi Chris

I am same as you with this, I didn't really understand what they were telling me but I believe it wasd something to do with changing the outgoing server settings to whichever service you were intending to connect to.  I am not at all technical so I have no idea what this might mean.  However Microsoft did say that some of the issues had been caused during the data transfer by PCW.

The settings which no work for my Outlook 2013 running in Windows8 are.

POP3

mail.talktalk.net

smtp.talktalk.net

Advanced settings

Incoming server:  110

incryption not ticked

outgoing server (SMTP):  25

incrypted connection NONE

outgoing server authentication not ticked

use same settings as my incoming mail server

One of the issues I have with the setup is that when connected to the server mails are downloaded and remain on the server as well, as do sent mail items, it seems as though it is doing a copy rather than a transfer.  I would prefer for mail to be automatically deleted from the server after downloading to Outlook, this was how it worked on my previous version.  I noticed when going through the settings menu there was a box that could be ticked which said something like 'delete mail from server after' (then there was a box to specify after how long).  I am very very reluctant to change any of these settings just in case it all goes pear shaped again.  Am I being paranoid? I also have not had chance to test whether the settings work on an alternative providers network.

Many thanks for your interest, if you do have any further advice on settings etc. I would be pleased to hear.