Occasional Contributor
nosnod

Tiscali email - Outgoing mail sending errors / Unable to send

[ Edited ]

Since Thursday 10 Oct I have been unable to send outgoing emails - keep getting the error below. Settings have not been changed and have worked fine for years. No issues with receiving emails.

This is on PC running Windows 7 and Outlook 2007. This occured before installing any recent updates.

Task *********@tiscali.co.uk - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Looking on here loads of other people have had the same problem at seemingly the same time - this cannot be a coincidence!

So come on Talk Talk when is somebody going to look at this and sort out a fix - I am paying for a service that I am not getting!!

New Contributor
earlybird56

Re: Tiscali email - Outgoing mail sending errors / Unable to send

Same problem except I get a box saying  'username: smtp.tiscali.co.uk' and asking for a password . When I enter my normal tiscali password it says it can't make a connection with the server. I phoned today and they say I am not alone and there is a problem they are trying to resolve. Meanwhile I have no outgoing service. This has lasted 3 days so really quite serious and I hope someone out there has an answer.

Occasional Contributor
nosnod

Thanks for the update - at least someone at Talk Talk recognises there is a problem!!

I cannot even get onto the webmail version at the moment either although I can send emails for the same tiscali account from my ipod touch !!??

New Contributor
earlybird56

Thanks for joining in. Perhaps talktalk will see this and post.

I have the same problem with webmail, changed my access password and then still could not get in.

New Contributor
rjreast

Hi, I solved similar problems by changing outgoing mail server from smtp.tiscali.co.uk to smtp.talktalk.net.

robert

Occasional Contributor
nosnod

Did you also change all the other settings for the smtp.talknet.net options such as the Port Number etc? as I tried this yesterday and still didnt work unless I did something wrong?

Frequent Contributor
Quasar1a

Yeah same problem here using live mail and my tiscali email address I get the same error code as you but today started getting 0x800ccc0E checked this on the web and found al sorts of remedies including downloading & running to  free self scan progs to find and fix the problem. One was called PC helper 360 and the other ErrorEnd.  Trouble with these progs though I never know what is safe to use and what will give me more problems if I use them.  Another option is to use system restore but can it really be caused by this fault or is it the server, rang TT help desk and all they were interested in was my webmail working, even though I tried to explain my primary address was the tiscali one, not sure they understood.  Oh well lets hope they get it sorted soon

New Contributor
rjreast

Only changed the server, nothing else.

it worked last night, assume it is still working today...

New Contributor
earlybird56

Thanks for that idea.I tried changing it to ' smtp.talktalk.net but is it asking for my normal email password to access the server, or some other password do you think?

Occasional Contributor
nosnod

Just changed the outgoing server to smpt.talktalk.net and left all other settings unchanged.

Everything working fine now!

Must be an issue with the tiscali smpt server?

New Contributor
earlybird56

SORTED - all fine

Got server name up ( don't know how) -and entered normal username and password and suddenly all sorted!

Thanks to all who posted.

Frequent Contributor
Quasar1a

[ Edited ]

Tried all these above and sorry to say nothing worked for me even went to the extreme of a system restore back to the last windows update on the 10th, as suggested by the online forum page relating to the error code I,m getting just in case the reg had become fouled up but still no luck there either   http://www.wiki-errors.com/wiki-errors.php?wiki=0x800CCC0E

I did call the TT help desk for some help but the young lad told me that he could not help me as win live mail or outlook was not compatable with TT software and so was not run through TT/AOL servers. Now I really dont understand this as I have used Outlook/OutlookExpress/Win Live Mail since the back old days of Line One, yeah have been with Tiscali/TT/Aol all that time and never had a problem with my mail prog like this before.

Please any suggestions to fix this would be gratefully recieved as I dont like using any Web Based Mail for my primary address and I dont want uninstall live mail and then a fresh re-install ecept at as a last ditch effort.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor
Quasar1a

Ok I give up now tried all I can have even run the windows essentials 2011 repair tool which gave my win live mail a clean bill of health and still i get the same error message

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'test' Server: 'smpt.tiscali.co.uk' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 10060

Only one more thing to try,uninstall live esentials and try a cleab download and reinstall, unless some kind person has a better idea.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor
Quasar1a

Sorted at last, had to uninstall my old W.L.E 2011 then down loaded and installed W,L.E 2012 and that seems to have done the trick.

Occasional Contributor
Obidom

I had this issue on my OE and WIndows Live,

I then found that despite the account being set up I still had to go back into it and dig down a layer of Mail Settings to find an empty UN/PW field on the account.

Once I filled those in it worked all OK.

Occasional Contributor
The Old Bloke

I'm still unable to send from Tiscali email addresses.

I have tried using smtp.talktalk.net to no avail.

The problem seems to be associated with the password as I get a message from Mozilla Thunderbird saying that it is connected to smtp.tiscali.co.uk, but then asks for the password although it is already stored.  Typing in the password just gets the same message up.

I have rechecked my passwords and they all match up. So I'm totally confused.

Any thoughts ? 

I think I will migrate to Gmail. 

Contributor
Last Chance

Yes, I've also been having a problem sending mail with Thunderbird for the past few days. It appears to be associated to the program as sending mail through the web server is fine. Trouble is, the web server is sooooooo dire...

I also tried updating Thunderbird to v24.0.1 but 

The update could not be installed. Please make sure there are no other copies of Thunderbird running on your computer, and then restart Thunderbird to try again.

However, doing this makes no difference. I then tried reinstalling a fresh copy of Thunderbird and get the same message. Changing the SMTP to smtp.talktalk.net is not recognised.

Not sure what to do, but it would help if an OCE could help - I have a business to run and e-mails to answer!

Occasional Contributor
Funks

Just read this conversation, and we all have the same problem; therfore the problem is not with "us" ie our PCs its with TalkTalk / Tiscali server.

Anyone know if this forum is moderated / monitored by TalkTalk help desk at all?

I need to contact someone to get the situation resolved ... and F A S T ! !

Contributor
Last Chance

It is rather absurd. When I last had a problem with e-mailing (it was "their" problem) I was told that as email was a free service, then they had no responsibility to help. I retorted that as I bought an internet package from them then it was part of a saleable product. I rather think they like to cherry-pick the type of problems they'd like to deal with.

Super Contributor
daveac

Same issue here.

Strangely emails arrive - but won't send.

Just looked and my Mail  Server is still set to: pop.tiscali.co.uk

But it says 'I'm connected' but I need to change my password.

Concerned I may just make things worse if I mess with the settings - but I need to do something soon

Cheers, daveac

The Cultdom Collective Podcast - TalkShoe ID 54821
Big and Fruity Wine Podcast - TalkShoe ID 112272
My daveac vblog - blip.tv/daveac