Contributor
jsd47

outgoing email problems, contradictory advice from talk talk

Reading the forums, this issue seems to affect many people: for no apparent reason, people find that their previously working set-up no longer works reliably, so, Talktalk - what are you doing about it ?

I have this problem again. Checking through the talktalk email settings, I find contradictory advice from TT, firstly to "ensure that SSL is unticked" (http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email/set-talktalk-email-apple-mail) and then to "tick SSL" (http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email/what-are-talktalks-email-settings#) - so which is correct? 

I am using Apple Mail, with a talktalk ISP account to try and send emails to my email account which is hosted by 123-reg.co.uk and it has stopped working. 123-reg's advice is to "Try switching the outgoing mail server to your Internet Service Provider's SMTP server address as some ISP's policies may restrict the use of a 3rd party SMTP server." It would be nice to get confirmation from TT that this is necessay.

I was previously using smtp.123-reg.co.uk for outgoing emails (it used to work fine, but became unreliable a few days ago), now I am trying to use smtp.talktalk.net but cannot get that to work either, not helped by the contradictory advice I mentioned from TT.

Jerry

Community Star
jbuchanangb

Re: outgoing email problems, contradictory advice from talk talk

Hello

TalkTalk's help page about e-mail settings is

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email/what-are-talktalks-email-settings

I can only say that I have no difficulty sending mail using the Tiscali SMTP settings. and it is my understanding that this works only because I am connecting through TalkTalk as my ISP.

It would appear that you can only use the smtp.talktalk.net server if you can authenticate with an @talktalk.net username and password. This would of course enable you to use that server if connected via a different ISP.

surfing the net from my trusty Laptop.
http://www.toshiba-europe.com/computers/products/notebooks/satellitepro4600/techspecs_5.htm
Contributor
jsd47

thanks

I am using talktalk as the ISP but the outgoing email address isn't a talktalk one, its my personal domain name, which is hosted by 123-reg.co.uk. Maybe this is the problem, who knows ?

It's not great that customers have to speculate on what may or may not be the requirements of talktalk's servers (eg, "it is my understanding...." and "It would appear that...."). It would be really nice to get some definitive advice directly from talktalk, rather than us having to guess what will or won't work.

Jerry

Community Star
jbuchanangb

When you set up your e-mail account in your client software (e.g. Outlook), you can specify a "From" address and a "Reply-to" address.

I do not think that TalkTalk (I am an ex-Tiscali customer) filter e-mails based on the "From" address, but they might do. I would not expect them to do this when using authentication onto the smtp.talktalk.net server. Some ISPs have been known to.

I know for sure that if you enter your own domain's e-mail address in the "Reply-To" address, then people who receive e-mail from you, and use the reply function in their e-mail, will send to your own domain e-mail address.

It should be possible to send a few test e-mails to yourself to check out the options.

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/computers/products/notebooks/satellitepro4600/techspecs_5.htm
New Contributor
shaunc

jsd47 think I have just run into the same problem.  I have been sending emails from my computer from a personal domain for a number of years.  I've just learnt that a number of important emails haven't reached the recipient even though there's no  evidence it's not gone.

As I say been working fine for years and now suddenly stopped working. Must be something that's changed at the TalkTalk end.

Just set up an email system on a Windows laptop to check that there's no problem with my Apple and it's the same :mansad:

Contributor
jsd47

I have changed the outgoing mail server back to smtp.123-reg.co.uk and I again seem to be able to send emails via talktalk. How odd, this is exactly how it was set up when it stopped working a couple of weeks ago.

What's that I hear ? Oh, it's the sound of silence from Talktalk. They never own up to having made any changes at their end which would affect the ability of customers to send emails, instead their policy seems to be let customers figure out solutions to their own problems for themselves. 

Jerry

Occasional Contributor
bilovitz

I have also recently lost the ablity to send emails on Windows mail.

As usual, asking Talktalk was met with silence.

I have found that (via tools, accounts, mail properties, servers) that my outgoing mail (SMTP)

has been changed from smtp.tiscali... to smpt.tiscali....  I correct it, & it works until I next login, when

it has reverted to smpt again.

I don't expect any help from Talktalk (the 'helpdesk' doesn't  understand the problem) &  is the

main reason I will not purchase any further products from this company.

Contributor
jsd47

you usually have to quit the mail application and restart for the changes to take effect.

Jerry

(PS: don't bother with the Talktalk Helpdesk - it's more important to them to subject customers to a 20-question "security" interrogation than to actually provide any useful help.)

Community Star
jbuchanangb

Hello bilovitz

To overcome the strange behaviour with SMTP and SMPT, I would recommend deleting the e-mail account in Windows Mail, then creating it again.

Then whatever gremlin behind the scenes is overcoming your wishes should be overcome.

Occasional Contributor
bilovitz

I have done so several times, but just tried it again to make sure.

The error persists, but thanks for your reply.

Bilo

Occasional Contributor
bilovitz

Yes, this looks like my final option.

However, I understand it's quite complicated if I'm to avoid the the loss of my address book, folders &

retained emails etc..

Thanks for your interest,

Bilo

Occasional Contributor
bilovitz

Finally....

I set up a new account with all the same details, & made it the default.

I still have the original account, which insists on transposing the 't' &'p' every time I log out!

Bilo

Visitor
Keith Webb

Cannot send Email

I have had same problem but did no notice that the T and P had swapped over.It was only after I came across your input that I double checked and found I had same problem not know if the address wi9ll revert back after I have shut down will advise if it does .However it seems to me that the technical people at Talktalk need to give some advise on this

Thanks to you I at least know the problem

Regards

Keith