Occasional Contributor
Jimlad2

why is there not a 'block sender' and other menu items like MS Outlook?

why is there not a 'block sender' and other menu items like MS Outlook?

Contributor
LUDDITE

Re: why is there not a 'block sender' and other menu items like MS Outlook?

I don't know, but I wish I did! I am sick of spam & unsolicited e-mails (some complete wth a virus & "flash up" as so, via my security programme).

On my work e-mail account a right click & then a left one, blocks the sender , both by e-mail address & sender name, all without opening the e-mail!

Come on Talktalk it can't be that hard to set up!

OCE_Karl
Topics: 9
Kudos: 1,302
Solutions: 576

Hi,

you can move suspected items to your spam folder in webmail, to mark them as spam. alternatively you can use a client program to screen mails, in conjunction with your own antivirus program.

Thanks

Karl

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution

Occasional Contributor
Jimlad2

Thanks Karl,

I'm aware, but, like the previous commenter, I received many mails from  Barclays Bank stating various sums had been credited to my (non-existant) account. With no un-subcribe button, and an apparently encrypted 'Click Here to confirm' button there's no way to stop further messages clogging up my in-box, and the network. And this is just one Spammer, how manny more do you get?.

Oh for a simple ' Block Sender' button.

Can you hear me TalkTalk??

Regards

Jimlad

OCE_Karl

Hi, 

An add to blocklist option etc, would be good, and I believe that this was something that was considered for a new mail platform, but as yet, no decision has been made regarding this.

Thanks

Karl

Contributor
LUDDITE

I have tried using the spam folder, but the next email from the same sender still appears in my in box!

I do not see why I should purchase a programme to screen email's when (as said above) other providers supply the facility. I did try a free one but the results were as bad as just using the spam folder!!

I did consider changing my email address, but I will have a lot of contacts & companies to inform.

A block button would be a worthwhile addition.

OCE_Karl

Hi, 

is the senders email address exactly the same. Some spammers can send from the same domain, but may change the name slightly, usually using random combinations of letters or numbers to by pass any spam measures.

Thanks

Karl

Contributor
LUDDITE

Hi, some times there has been a slight difference, but not always.

OCE_Ady
Topics: 0
Kudos: 763
Solutions: 369

Do you have any examples of two the same that came through that you could PM to me?

Contributor
LUDDITE

[ Edited ]

No I delete them without opening them as soon as they arrive.

Not bothered about the spam folder I just joined the thread as I agree with Jimlad2 We need a "Block sender button"

The one at work will even block variations, so is fantastic! (One of my spammers is mail@eform 3 or a variation of), the system would identify variations & block it.

Contributor
Dorset Rover

Hello 'Luddite',

Welcome to the club!

On 24th January 2013, I contacted the 'forum' with a message entitled 'Spam Icon and Blocked Senders List.' The link to that and following postings is as follows:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/My-email/Spam-Icon-and-Blocked-Senders-List/m-p/838833

Rest assured- you are not alone.

The following are 'spam e-mail messages' I have received so far this month:

PrivateHealthCompare874330048@pilot.newfreshinfo.com Avoiding the waiting, simple, affordable and fast healthcare - Sun, 01 Dec 2013 06:28:00 11:28
Matchcom874330048@pages.datatoon.com 3 day Complementary Trial - Sun, 01 Dec 2013 03:40:06 8:44
MediaSourceUK874330048@susceptible.happyesteem.com 0% on Balance Transfer and Purchases with Natwest - Mon, 02 Dec 2013 09:10:47 14:10
Greatwine874330048@imaging.snugkoala.com , 40GBP off your first order with Laithwaite's - Tue, 03 Dec 2013 07:17:58 12:18
ClinicCompareMediaSourceUK874330048@produces.lunartunnel.com Find The Perfect Laser Eye Surgery Clinic Near You - Tue, 03 Dec 2013 03:38:53 8:44
LettersfromSanta874330048@simply.chiefgatherer.com Create a magical Christmas letter from Santa - Wed, 04 Dec 2013 03:56:59 8:59
AccidentAdviceHelplineMediaSourceUK874330048@revolution.telekineticbetty.com , can you afford not to claim? - Wed, 04 Dec 2013 07:28:27 12:28
MediaSourceUKandOpticalExpress874330048@announced.bumpycalling.com Want free laser eye surgery this Christmas? - Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:21:33 15:22
ClinicCompare874330048@consists.bumpycalling.com Find The Perfect Laser Eye Surgery Clinic Near You - Thu, 05 Dec 2013 06:50:13 11:50
SpencerHolmes874330048@frequencies.funkydaphnia.com [SUSPECTED SPAM] Compare life cover quotes with Spencer Holmes - Thu, 05 Dec 2013 11:12:44 16:13
TaraMedium874330048@interpretation.leastchronos.com A peculiar vision about your 2014 future - Fri, 06 Dec 2013 02:19:44 7:19
MediaSourceUKandOpticalExpress874330048@emitted.supersonichickey.com Want free laser eye surgery this Christmas? - Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:29:22 15:33
InassociationwithMatchcom874330048@always.tunnelmaniac.com [SUSPECTED SPAM] 3 day Complementary Trial - Sat, 07 Dec 2013 07:58:38 12:58
InassociationwithMatchcom874330048@require.immediateosmosis.com 3 day Complementary Trial - Sat, 07 Dec 2013 06:45:29 11:45
Ladbrokes874330048@aperture.hipgatherer.com Make the most of the weekend with ?30 in FREE Bets! - Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:11:19 17:11

I had received 34 similar messages in October and 77 similar messages in November.

Note the continual appearance of the number 874330048 and also, at the end of each of those messages, a 5 hour difference in times - suggesting that the message was sent 5 hours in advance of Greenwich Mean Time.

The matter of my continual receipt of spam e-mails has been the subject of a complaint to TalkTalk's C.E.O. Office, the latest of which is being dealt with by Heather Sealey.

For your information and for the information of any other person with similar problems, the C.E.O.'s e-mail address is as follows:

ceoexec@talktalkplc.com

Her initial reply to me said:

'I will certainly address the emails I have received. I can see your email sent Monday at 16.39 which includes details of the spam you have been receiving. I will arrange to have this investigated and as soon as I receive an update will advise you accordingly.'

You may receive a quicker response by addressing the problem directly to the C.E.O.'s office.

Watch this space...

Regards,

Dorset Rover.

Cogito, ergo sum.
Valued Contributor
Crusher2011

[ Edited ]

JimLad2, Luddite and Dorset Rover, I assume you are all talking about TalkTalk webmail. Please ignore the following if you aren't.

Sign in to TalkTalk webmail. Look for the equivalent of four tabs towards the top of the display Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, Settings. Select Settings. New screen opens and on the Left Hand Side locate the heading Settings and under it find the word Mail and click on it. Further screen appears and scroll down the screen until you find Filters. Click on Add and a new smaller screen appears in which you can add info about the items to be blocked. Repeat for each address. There is a button for you to add next address etc. If you have a common element such as 874330048 put it in the key words. Note the drop down lists to say what is to happen with mail from particular addresses. Having saved all the filters make certain you go to the very bottom of the screen below Auto reply to hit the Save button on bottom right.

I could find all the options under Mail with my Desktop PC but using an Ipad the list only went to Filters. Hope this helps.

Contributor
Dorset Rover

Hello Crusher2011,

Thanks for your post but I believe that I and many others suffering from an excess of spam e-mail messages have a different TalkTalk webmail 'platform' from your platform.

My 'Settings' and 'Help' are located on the right hand side of the page, just above the 'scroll bar'.

When I click on 'Settings, the left vertical pane has :
General, Compose, Calendar, AIM and Plug-ins.

The general settings comprise:

Reading, New Mail, Pop-up Windows, Auto Sign Off and Contacts..

There is NO reference to Filters.

In addition to 'Today' (TalkTalk's news page) the left vertical pane contains the following 'folders':
Inbox, Drafts, Sent, IMs, Spam and Trash.

Below those subjects there are 2 more folders:
Contacts and Calendar.

Below those there is a location for 'My Folders'.

On 14th March 2013, I received an e-mail message from Mr. Paul Smith, Chief Executive's Office, in which he said:

'Contrary to the initial thought path, it is not currently feasible to simply change you to a different platform.

As you are aware, this issue is not just affecting your service but a number of customers, as such an incident has been raised in order to address this problem with our email and security business partners in order to fix the problem across the board.

Our ISP System engineers are aware of a problem and have escalated the case with our partners who are investigating the spam filters to determine what is causing the problem in order to implement a fix.

At present, I am unable to provide an estimated resolution time but will keep you updated.'

On 21st March 2013, Mr. Smith sent another e-mail, saying:

'...Further to my previous email, and as I am sure you will be aware from updates online, that this issue is still under investigation and once resolved will result in a comprehensive reduction in the amount of spam that you are receiving.
...there is no resolution that I can offer to you.'

Since that message, I have not received any 'update' from him or his office on the subject of 'spam' e-mail.

I use 'Microsoft Office Outlook' to view e-mail messages and it has 'rejected' all of the spam messages that has ever been received and accepted by TalkTalk, however I still have to 'log-in' to my TalkTalk webmail in order to mark the 'spam' messages as spam and then delete those spam messages.

Thanks again Crusher2011 for you consideration.

Regards,

Dorset Rover.

Cogito, ergo sum.
Valued Contributor
Crusher2011

My ISP originally was Tiscali prior to it being acquired by TalkTalk. I have a tiscali.co.uk address. Am I correct in assuming you have a talktalk.net address? Sorry I should have checked this before launching into detail. Seems TalkTalk must still be operating at least two systems. I've used SMTP.talktalk.net in place of SMTP.tiscali.co.uk to send emails before now when the the Tiscali server was down.
Contributor
Dorset Rover

Hello again Crusher2011,

Yes, originally we did have a Tiscali e-mail address.

In August 2009 we decided to change our telephone and broadband provider to 'TalkTalk' - they were in the process of taking over/merging with Tiscali.

Now we are xxxxxx@talktalk.net

Regards,

Dorset Rover.

Cogito, ergo sum.
Contributor
LUDDITE

:smileysad:Hi, unfortunately I don't have the facility

Occasional Contributor
Jimlad2

Well!

I'm currently on holiday 120k north of Adelaide and have just caught up with the posts -  G'day Poms and all! We just lorst at the Oval.

I'd read through the entire Settings and Help links before posting the 'block sender' button item' and there is no reference to blocking.

None of the posted solutions offered seem to be available to me, (Dorsetma etc etc)

My mail is headed TalkTalk/AOL, and the Help files are are headed AOL - Tiscallians? who?.

It seems our illustrious providor has mail software versions equivalent to the number of fish in the sea or at least the number of companies they acquired. How's that first individual personal service?

Maybe there's a version for Compunet that I used on my Commodore 64?

Probably most people use/(d) Outlook at work from the MS Office package (as I did) and are aware of the dubious benifits of MS, where I could fairly easily block Spam and other dubious mails.

It would seem TT are not interested in improvement of their product as long as the money rolls in?

Now...........................

I love the multi clicking required by Windows to open multiple multiple windows to click on a simple  'Yes' or 'No'

This is great fun in Win 8 where with a full screen of icons and a scroll bar to see further icons you have to right click to get a icon to click 'all programs' when there's space on the screen to have a button already displayed.

Isn't it time for a Windows tax? The British Government created one!

But this would be for a further discussion!

Regards, OVER AND OUT

jimlad2 from Kent

Fin.

Occasional Contributor
Jimlad2

Well!

I'm currently on holiday 120k north of Adelaide and have just caught up with the posts -  G'day Poms and all! We just lorst at the Oval.

I'd read through the entire Settings and Help links before posting the 'block sender' button item' and there is no reference to blocking.

None of the posted solutions offered seem to be available to me, (Dorsetma etc etc)

My mail is headed TalkTalk/AOL, and the Help files are are headed AOL - Tiscallians? who?.

It seems our illustrious providor has mail software versions equivalent to the number of fish in the sea or at least the number of companies they acquired. How's that first individual personal service?

Maybe there's a version for Compunet that I used on my Commodore 64?

Probably most people use/(d) Outlook at work from the MS Office package (as I did) and are aware of the dubious benifits of MS, where I could fairly easily block Spam and other dubious mails.

It would seem TT are not interested in improvement of their product as long as the money rolls in?

Now...........................

I love the multi clicking required by Windows to open multiple multiple windows to click on a simple  'Yes' or 'No'

This is great fun in Win 8 where with a full screen of icons and a scroll bar to see further icons you have to right click to get a icon to click 'all programs' when there's space on the screen to have a button already displayed.

Isn't it time for a Windows tax? The British Government created one!

But this would be for a further discussion!

Regards, Over and Out

jimlad2 from Kent

Fin.

OCE_Mark
Topics: 10
Kudos: 988
Solutions: 495

Hi Jimlad,

Are you accessing your emails via outlook?

You can configure Outlook for your TalkTalk Emails, which would give you the features of outlook with your TT mail.

Cheers

:smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
Jimlad2

Hi OCE Mark,

I am aware but......................

I used Outlook at work, now retired, and on my old computer that crashed losing some mails. On my new Windows 8 I didn't have time to retrieve back-ups etc nor set up a new back-up system, (or Win8), before my hols so I used TT/AOL mail believing that all my mails would be safely retained on the TT surver as I didn't want to lose anything. Outlook retains them on my laptop, in my User sub-directory, I think!, hence the lost mails.

However, it seems to me that TT doesn't read any of these posts?

As an OCE do you have direct access to TT and are able to ask them why they can't adress this significant problem? And tell us?

Otherwise this Community is meaningless.

With several repeated mails from 'Barclays Bank', (I don't use them), porporting to have deposited diferent sums in excess of 4k Pounds in my account, requesting I click to confirm, (hovering the cursor over the button displays an 'encrypted address' message, and there is no unsubscribe button), generates some suspicion in my mind.  Use the delete button several times?

There are dozens of similarmultiple copy bogus mails received. Delete, Delete, Delete, etc., etc, etc.  or a Block Sender button that isn't anywhere on TT/AO mail.

I suppose, paper pen, envelope must be the final answer!

Regards,

Jimlad - back from Oz Sunday!