Occasional Contributor
Nigel-W
Accepted Solution

Can you have more then one Youview box?

[ Edited ]

Hi forum / Taltkalk,

First of this is my first post here so sorry for any newbi errors.

I've got the Hauwien Youview box and apart from it freezing a few times size the update we are happy with it.  We have added the entertainment extra boosts to our package.

Now we are considering buying another youview box to watch in other room,  I've seen cheap second hand plane youview boxes, talktalk and BT boxes again both second hand. We are also considering new boxes, but this raise a few questions.....

1. Would we get the talktalk boosts on both bob's, if so could we watch two boost channels at same time?
  2. Would we talktalk charge us twice for having two boxes?  ( Egg two Entertainment extra boost = £30 PM?)
  3. Would we need to get a talktalk box to access the talktalk service or would a plain / bt youview box give us access to the talktalk player etc?
  4. Has anyone got two or more boxes on here give any more info/advice?

Thanks all in advance....

Valued Contributor
Barry Gilfillan

Re: Can you have more then one Youview box?

You can only access boost channels on the box that you get from Talk Talk.

Occasional Contributor
Nigel-W

So if I wanted to get the talktalk boosts, I'd need to buy another box directley from talktalk?  Could I not use a second hand talktalk box?

bestmanx3

Here's the help page regarding multiroom, http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/tv/do-you-offer-multi-room it gives some information but not really definitive answers to your questions.

Regards

MVC_sig_pomo_baz.png

Valued Contributor
Barry Gilfillan

At the moment Talk Talk do not support "Multi-Room" so no idea how or if it would work if you bought another box say from Ebay and put it in your bedroom and connected it to your broadband.

You can read more about it using this link Do you offer multi-room?

Occasional Contributor
Nigel-W

Reading the info on the posted link from bestmanx3 makes it sound like as soon as you hook the box upto your net and tell it to conect to the internet it blocks you saying no you can't have two box's.  Guess i could just use one as a standerlone PVR then?  Bit of a wast  though....

Any Talktalk guys on here advise on when/if we will get muilti room and confirm if my understanding correct?

Thanks

Retired
Nathann

Hi Nigel-W,

At present we do not currently offer multi-room, we are looking at offering this feature in the future. We are unable to provide any timescales on this at present.

You can connect more than one YouView Box but using the Boxes at the same time may impact your TV experience especially if you are using On demand services with a low broadband line speed.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
Nigel-W

HI there Nathan,

Reading your repley I'm still confused, you adsvise that taklktalk don't do multi room, ok so no second box or boots etc in other room if i understand your first pargraph correctley.

Now my confusion kicks in, with in your second paragrah.  Where you say......

"You can connect more than one YouView Box but using the Boxes at the same time may impact your TV experience especially if you are using On demand services with a low broadband line speed."

Are you saying I can conect two box's but I'll just get the talktalk player & the abbilty to go back 7 days on my intial box and not on the second ( which I would be happy with)  or would I get all services on both boxs and if this is the case would I have to pay double?  But as you say talk talk don't do muliti room hence why I'm confused.

Thanks again Nathan, please can you or the Commuity advise and help me become clear on this.

Occasional Contributor
Nigel-W

Nathan / Talktalk,

Any updates to my questions as yet?

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
lukebolton

Nigel-W wrote:

Nathan / Talktalk,

Thanks

Nigel-W,

You can use two boxes, however you will only benefit from the 7-day catch-up & other features, etc on one box. 

Occasional Contributor
Big John

I wish TT would get this sorted out as we would like another youview box in other room, I would be able to connect to the same router but If we would not be able to use the 7 day catch up or have problems with iPlayer there is no real point.  I've seen cheap second hand/New, talktalk on a certain auction web-site.

Come on TT.

Cheers

Big John

Valued Contributor
Barry Gilfillan

lukebolton wrote:

Nigel-W wrote:

Nathan / Talktalk,

Thanks

Nigel-W,

You can use two boxes, however you will only benefit from the 7-day catch-up & other features, etc on one box. 

Can I ask where did you get this information from?

Occasional Contributor
Visionman

[ Edited ]
I thought this question had already been answered -

OCE_Nathan wrote:

Hi Nigel-W,

You can connect more than one YouView Box but using the Boxes at the same time may impact your TV experience especially if you are using On demand services with a low broadband line speed.

Thanks

Which is true. But fibre wouldn't be a problem for getting on demand on two boxes. But the Boost channels would only appear on the box supplied by TalkTalk.

Occasional Contributor
lukebolton

bazzaaa17 wrote:

lukebolton wrote:

Nigel-W wrote:

Nathan / Talktalk,

Thanks

Nigel-W,

Can I ask where did you get this information from?

Barry,

The same question was asked on another forum (not sure if I am allowed to name it on here, so I won't until I am told otherwise.)

Please forgive me, if I am wrong in giving the answer to which I provided. On the other forum, it was stated that this was the case for other users. 

Contributor
Ed Haddon

Hi Nigel,

the TalkTalk forum OCE's have to tell you that Mulit Room is not supported, as they are unable to offer support for setups not tested or authorised by TalkTalk and if they said it was then people would expect them to then give support and get angry when they could not offer it.

They also have to be wary of people trying to use multi room when they only have 5 to 6Mb connections ans every TalkTalk YouView box needs 5Mb download stream to give acceptable viewing on catch-up TV and boost channels, so for two boxes to work you would need at least 10Mb for them both to work at the same time and at least another 5Mb download speed for all your smart phones and games machines and computers in your house if you are a family who has a lot of such equipment.

Also the second box would have to be a TalkTalk YouView box if you wanted the boost channels on the second box as well as the first box, so a generic YouView or BT Youview box would not do, unless you only wanted the FreeView channels.

But good condition second hand TalkTalk YouView boxes are selling for around £50.00 on eBay

Having said that however if an unnamed person was lucky enough to have a constant 17Mb or above download speed and a second TalkTalk YouView box from eBay and both boxes were directly linked to the Router by wired network cables not wireless or by AV 500Mb powerline adapters, NOT 200Mb powerline adapters, then I would say that unnamed person would quite probably already be whatching boost channels on both of them at the same time (Ahem know what I mean).

Regards Ed.

New Contributor
24jasper07

So it isn't recommended buying another youview box and hooking it up to be used on another tv, as the download speed we currently have is about 8. Talk talk will need to boost the download speeds otherwise its pointless getting multi room. So I can't see it happening soon, do you agree??
Occasional Contributor
AlecR

You'll eventually get fibre (which will be much faster), but that'll be down to BT/the Government, not TalkTalk.

Super Contributor
Birchcroft

If you don't want boosts, and in the main are just watching the freeview channels then a second box would not be a problem as the signals come via the aerial.  The problems start if you try and use boosts or catchup on both boxes, as it is then bandwidth becomes a problem.  So whether or not it is worth it comes down to your household usage patterns:

1. Just watching freeview, should be OK.
  2. Want TV in lounge and bedroom, but only use one at a time, should be OK.
  3. Watching freeview on one television, and catchup or boost on the other, probably OK.
  4. Watching catchup or boosts on both then you will probably suffer with frame freezes etc. could well be unwatchable and you will have problems with computers etc accessing the internet.
OCE_Karl
Topics: 9
Kudos: 1,307
Solutions: 579

Hi,

Birchcroft is correct, and if you only want freeview in another room, no need to bother with a second box, most TV's these days have built in freeview.

Thanks

Karl

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution

Occasional Contributor
mickeblue

Even that would be something... whenever I've tried watching D5 everything freezes and I have to turn off and reset the box!