Occasional Contributor
deniseelliott30

Failed Recordings

I have 2 Uview boxes. At first both were fine but now both are stating to give failed recordings. No explanation is offered. One machine sorts itself out and continues scheduled recordings but the other has to be turned off and on to record again. What am I paying for?

Valued Contributor
Engineer02

Re: Failed Recordings

Ok, and how have you connected  "TWO" youview boxes, this could well be part of the problem.

I assume from your post, you are running these in parallel ?

Occasional Contributor
deniseelliott30

[ Edited ]

With wires. But they both worked at first. When the first box was installed I was told that I could have a second bo in my bedroom. The first is in my lounge. And they still both work sometimes with different and the same programmes if it is important. What does in parallel mean?

Valued Contributor
Engineer02

Both will work for catchup on demand , but only one can use taltalk player content at a time.

I would only use onebox for the recording for now and see if problem disappears.

The boxes are really only designed to be operated off ONE account for each box, or, as it would appear , they get confused.

Contributor
joe-eh54

TalkTalk Player channels/content and on-demand cannot be recorded, only freeview channels.  Even if on-demand was in use on one YV box, it would not affect recordings on the other as that is dependant on the rf signal and tuners, not the internet connection.

I don't know how good these boxes are at disc management, but if the boxes have both been in use for some time and regularly recording, they may have fragmented and orphaned files on the HDDs.  My past experience with VM and Sky pvr's is that when recordings fail regularly, it's time to format the HDD.

OCE_Karl
Topics: 18
Kudos: 1,440
Solutions: 655

Hi deniseelliott30,

Have you tried a maintenance reset of the boxes as below? 

1. Ensure the YouView Box is switched off and is currently connected to the router (the YouView Box will require an internet connection).
2. Power on YouView using button at the back of the YouView Box.
3. Start YouView using the power button on the YouView Box front panel, and then quickly press and hold both the + and – buttons on the front panel. If you haven’t pressed the buttons together by the time 'YouView Waking Up' is displayed, or you see the 'YouView please wait…' message then try again.
4. Let go of the + and – buttons once the 'Huawei – Maintenance Mode menu' is displayed.
5. The + and – buttons on the front panel will navigate the menu. Keep pressing the – button until 'Internet/USB Recovery, keep recordings' option is highlighted. If you go past the option, simply press the + button to navigate back to the option.
6. Press the power button on the YouView Box front panel to select the option. This will bring up some information and ask 'Do you want to proceed?'. Press the power button again to confirm.
7. The YouView Box will now show a progress bar as it downloads software from the internet and installs on the YouView Box. This may take several minutes. Once complete, the YouView Box will restart.
8. Once the YouView Box restarts, the YouView Box will show the initial setup wizard. You will need to run through the setup wizard including tuning the channels.

Thanks

Karl
Occasional Contributor
deniseelliott30

I do not wish to loose my schedule or my recordings. Can I keep them if I do this?

Contributor
joe-eh54

You will see a few options, make sure you select the option to keep recordings. If this is successful, please feed back to the community and let us know the problem is resolved
OCE_Karl
Topics: 18
Kudos: 1,440
Solutions: 655

Hi deniseelliott30,

joe-eh54 is correct, there is an option to keep the recordings.

Thanks

Karl