New Contributor
mikefoster1
Founder

Recording Sky channels

Does anyone know when we are going to be able to record channels from the sky channels, such as sky one ?
Retired
Nathann

Re: Recording Sky channels

Hi mikefoster1,

At present you are unable to record from the TalkTalk Player, we dont have any dates available as yet for when this will take place. For additional details please see our help article:

Why can't I record programmes in the TalkTalk Player?

Thanks

Nathan

Frequent Contributor
scenicavalon
Founder

Replying to this post to show disappointment at long wait for anticipated Recording promise for IPTV that lured me in to taking up YouView. November 2012 was when I ordered up Talktalk Youview and subscribed to Sky Sports Boost. Today have given up waiting for this upgrade as I think £30pm is a bit much for inability to record Golf etc and have to sit through adverts because of USA's motto of not letting the Golf get in the way of their advertisements. Disillusioned with Youview after so much hype and hope back last October.:smileymad:
Frequent Contributor
shaun564
Founder

Originally Posted by scenicavalon
Replying to this post to show disappointment at long wait for anticipated Recording promise for IPTV that lured me in to taking up YouView. November 2012 was when I ordered up Talktalk Youview and subscribed to Sky Sports Boost. Today have given up waiting for this upgrade as I think £30pm is a bit much for inability to record Golf etc and have to sit through adverts because of USA's motto of not letting the Golf get in the way of their advertisements. Disillusioned with Youview after so much hype and hope back last October.:smileymad:

Hi Scenicavalon,

I am 100% agree with you, even though I am not intrested in sports and I don't watch them. however I do watch sky1 sometimes and I watch Sky Movies quite a lot for the new premier movies, this is annoying about can't record sky channels as sometimes I don't have the time to watch them, it will be so easy to record them and watch them when I can, even the adds really annoy me!

I also agree with you about the packages on entertainment and sky movies, it shouldn't be so expensive if you can't record movies and sky1 ete.

I can understand if we can record sky channels and the price is expensive, I wish talktalk will sort this issue out soon. what if we all did a petition? do you think we will get something moving so talktalk will sort this issue out? :smileymad:
Occasional Contributor
marksalter
Founder

I have just found out (apparently it is 'clear' on the on-line sign-up (not)) that I cannot record sky programs or 'series link' them.

I phoned to check and when it was confirmed that it was not possible I verbally rejected the contract under the 14 day cooling off period.
The gentlemen informed me that the cooling off period does not apply as the box had gone 'live' - almost laughable as we have not watched any tv and in the process of setting up today we find this shortfall...

... anyway, he also told me that we would be able to record sky 'in about a month', but could not confirm any further. Good news perhaps for those that care to wait, but contractual negotiations rarely follow plans, so I intend to stay with sky until such time that talktalk/youview actually do allow recording of all programs.

:smileysad:
New Contributor
Paul McCann

Yes Youview is a downgrade from the old tiscali / talktalk tv package. Not able to record or catch the start of a movie after its scheduled start time or sports programme once it has started.
Super Contributor
ajames

TT have a lot of faults to sort out and fix still thinking wheather to renew my contract next year. Has anyone renewed their contract what do TT offer ?

Valued Contributor
Barry Gilfillan
Founder

ajames wrote:

TT have a lot of faults to sort out and fix still thinking wheather to renew my contract next year. Has anyone renewed their contract what do TT offer ?

Since TalkTalk TV only started last October and being on an 18 month contract it will be Feb/March 2014 before contracts are up.

The TV service is not perfect but is improving as time goes on and recording is only a few months away.

Frequent Contributor
scenicavalon
Founder

Yawn!! It's always been a few months away. Donkey and carrot illustration anyone?

Super Contributor
ajames

So true to life.

Frequent Contributor
shellard
Founder

Regret taking up another contract with TT as not getting our money's worth. Would not recommend them to anyone.

Contributor
Starcop
Founder

I can now record all the Sky channels and the freeviews and have a full catch up service at last. I'm not missing any of my favourite programmes anymore, or any of the new series coming to our shores..

What did I have to do to get this?

Easy, leave TT and go to Sky.

i got fed up waiting. So I pay £5 a month more but I actually get to see what I want, when I want , how I want.

I liked the old Tiscali service but I now have got a reminder of what I've been missing.

Shame on Youview and Talk Talk for cashing in and releasing a product that really wasn't yet ready, but I suppose you had to start getting some of your money in somehow.

I suggest Talk Talk and the Youview people take a good long hard look at Sky again and either up their game to compete with a pretty great service, or substantially drop their prices or even give it away free if they cannot get on similar viewing terms.

Sorry to say this but I feel TT have had my pants down for the last few months with their Youviw offering and never ending promises of things to come.

Starcop

Occasional Contributor
heatherp6

I agree they tell you they,re better than Sky, but actually you get LESS tv channels than on Sky,even when you have full package,excluding the movies and sports,

and to not be able to record the programmes is shocking, especially when you cant get the channels on demand, ie really etc,

Its a bit like British Gas providing you with gas,but saying you can only use it for the fire,but wont work on radiators, !!

Frequent Contributor
shellard
Founder

I so agree! They also quietly take away channels on terrestrial as well as we no longer get ITV3 & once upon a time we got ITV4 but now don't! What are we paying for????? Obviously not all we are entitled to.

Frequent Contributor
shellard
Founder

Good on you for moving which is what I will do as soon as! Its better to pay a little more and get everything you want then to be ripped off which is what is happening to us. Yes I agree Tiscali was fine before this lot took over.

Valued Contributor
Barry Gilfillan
Founder

[ Edited ]

shellard wrote:

I so agree! They also quietly take away channels on terrestrial as well as we no longer get ITV3 & once upon a time we got ITV4 but now don't! What are we paying for????? Obviously not all we are entitled to.

ITV 3 & ITV 4 are Free to air channels there are nothing to do with TalkTalk.  ITV 3 should be on channel 10 & ITV 4 should be on channel 24 if you no longer have them try retuning your box if you still do not get them it would suggest that you have a problem with your youview box, TV aerial or signal.

You can use the Coverage Checker on the the Digital UK website for details on what channels you should get in your area and also what your signal reception should be like as well.

Digital UK

Occasional Contributor
Garbs

[ Edited ]

I phoned up and complained last week that I wasn't happy about not been able to record the sky channels. They had no real argument when I said that when I originally signed up (Feb) the web site said that the recording feature was coming soon. And that in my opinion coming soon was not 8 months later with no sign of it coming .

As a good will gesture they gave me a 3 months skysports upgrade for free and two months of £15 pound of my bill .

Also i was told it was going to arrive very soon I think my contract will be over by the time recording of  sky channels arrives

New Contributor
Paul McCann

I will not be renewing my current contract due to the poor misleading information I got at the start of the contract.

Frequent Contributor
shellard
Founder

Thank you Barry. I should have realised, being Free To Air channells, that it was not a problem caused by TT I will see if I can get them back. 

Occasional Contributor
Ivan Allan

ajames wrote:

My contract is nearly expired, i dont plan to renew it and i am sure talktalk will not cut of my services even though i have no contract with them as they will still have me as a customer.  I did this with BT.  I dont think there is any need to commit yourself to another contract just because it expires.

Mobile phone companies will give you a choice of a new phone or reducing you line rental to get you to renew your contract.  I will be interested to see what TT will offer for me to commit to another contract term.