Regular Contributor
NewUser1971
Founder

TalkTalk TV Self Install

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but after searching I still don't have the answer I need!

I have just ordered TalkTalk TV upgrade online for my father in law

He is 'switching' from essentials, so has one of the 'basic' essentials routers (which was supplied in July 2012 after a house move)

So, Will Talk Talk supply a new router, i.e. HG533 to allow installation of TT TV, or do 'we' simply use the existing router?

I pretty tech savvy, so have opted for self install, and will install the kit for him, this means he is not bound by a TT BS visit.
★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Active Participant★Account Verified★Feedback Loop★Completionist★
Regular Contributor
Skoorb
Founder

Re: TalkTalk TV Self Install

Right. What should happen is that TalkTalk's systems should check the last router supplied to you:

• If it is not suitable for YouView, you should automatically get a new router.
  • If it is suitable for YouView you simply get a router update CD to check and update the firmware on your existing router.

If you want, you can have a look through the install guide, and FAQs, which should explain all you need.

There are also two videos that should make the setup pretty clear:

If you have any problems, just ask!
Regular Contributor
NewUser1971
Founder

Many thanks Skoorb
Installation should be a breeze, it was really just about the router
Guess I'll have to wait and see what they send him, or not as the case may be
Pretty sure he has the basic D-Link DSL-2680 router at the moment
★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Active Participant★Account Verified★Feedback Loop★Completionist★
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Founder

To make an addition to skoorb's post

Originally Posted by TPCR
You are quite right there should of been a CD and User Guide in the box

What do I get with my YouView Self Install Pack?
The following items will be included in your YouView Self Install Package, If any of the following items are missing please contact us to report the missing item and we will issue a replacement.
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Banned
redchiz

Most recent TalkTalk routers are suitable for the TV service, full list here: help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/2841/
Regular Contributor
NewUser1971
Founder

Thanks Guys
I'm pretty sure the DSL-2680 will do the job, but will wait and see if something different is sent out...
@Redchiz - it's on the 'list' so that means I don't have to wait around for a new router to arrive
Now just got to convince a 72 year old that he no longer needs the Freesat from Sky box as well as the TT TV one!
OCE_Mark
Topics: 10
Kudos: 682
Solutions: 387
Founder

Hi NewUser197,

Looks like you already have your answers above.

Regards

M:smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
NewUser1971
Founder

Thanks Mark

Yes, all sorted by the looks of it

I'm guessing the YV box should arrive early next week at my father in laws

I'll be in touch if things go wrong, but to be honest I'm expecting installation to be a breeze!
Valued Contributor
bitsandpcsuk
Founder

Originally Posted by NewUser1971
Thanks Guys

I'm pretty sure the DSL-2680 will do the job, but will wait and see if something different is sent out...

@Redchiz - it's on the 'list' so that means I don't have to wait around for a new router to arrive

Now just got to convince a 72 year old that he no longer needs the Freesat from Sky box as well as the TT TV one!

Does the 72 year old support Liverpool FC? If so he'll still need the sky box to watch LFCTV :smileyhappy:
OCE_Mark
Founder

Hi Newuser,

It is relevatively straight forward and you have all the necessary resources to set this up, but if you do have any other queries feel free to let us know.

Regards

Regular Contributor
NewUser1971
Founder

Originally Posted by bitsandpcsuk
Does the 72 year old support Liverpool FC? If so he'll still need the sky box to watch LFCTV :smileyhappy:

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it...:smileywink: ) he isn't an LFC fan!!
OCE_Mark
Founder

HI newuser,

let us know if you have any (non football related) queries.

Regards

Regular Contributor
NewUser1971
Founder

Thanks Mark

:smileywink:
Banned
redchiz

Originally Posted by OCE_Mark

let us know if you have any (non football related) queries.

Spoilsport. :smileytongue: :smileyvery-happy:
Regular Contributor
NewUser1971
Founder

I've now installed the TT TV for my father in law, and it went without problems!

All in all about 45 minutes from start to finish, nothing complicated at all

I've now left him fiddling with the remote control, so I'm anticipating a call later to tell me that it's stopped working!! :smileyvery-happy:
OCE_Mark
Founder

HI newuser,

Gad to see this all went smoothly. let us know if you (or your FiL) has any other queries.

Regards