Contributor
JazzTv

Re: Tip - how to use the YouView box wirelessly

Yes, it is the WNCE3001.  I have it plugged into the USB port at the back.  I originally bought it as an adapter I could use with my Sony Blu Ray player and Humax digi box.  Never used it much as the problem of knocking out the WIFI signal to everything and having to keep resetting the orange router.  I am pleased to say its working fine with the Talk Talk router.

No problems watching any of the on demand programs.  I don't have any boost packages.

Contributor
JazzTv

Got the entertainment boost and it seems I cannot access the Sky channels using the WNCE3001.  I have tried connecting via my Sonos speakers wireless, Ethernet between the speaker and Youview box and this allows me to view them.  Will still investigate if I can get the WNCE3001 working.

Occasional Contributor
soulboy

I used these settings 

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/t5/Plus-TV/Fix-for-ttg-894/td-p/863807

and they worked for WNCE2001 so I would think they would work with the 3001

Contributor
JazzTv

[ Edited ]

I have tried those, which they were set.

The interface only has nas_0_38 or ttyusb0.

I also tried imgp v1/v2 as I am not on fibre yet.

These did not work. 

Thank you for your answer.

Occasional Contributor
soulboy

As I said earlier. I am using the WNCE2001. I know I can't get offical help from TT but thought maybe someone who is using it might be able to. 

I connected it up and all was working great for a few days, but now every so often the LAN light goes out and the youview box states that there is no internet connection. The wifi signal is still strong so I know it's not that. I've tried changing the cable but that makes no difference. If I unplug the wnce2001 it resets itself and works again, but after a few hours it does it again. 

I'm not IT wiz so have tried to google. I never had a problem whe connecting to my sky box. Does anyone know what settings I need to put in(if any). Or does it look like I've got a defective one?

Contributor
JazzTv

[ Edited ]

This looks like exactly the same issue i had with mine on the orange router, although that knocked the whole wifi out.  The only way i could restore it was to reboot the router.

I had a reply from Netgear confirming the WNCE3001 does not suport IGMP.

Contributor
elteldel
Founder

soulboy

If you're getting the power for the wnce2001 from the YV USB port, try using the NG external power supply instead.  According to the NG manual, it uses 1A at 5V, but I understand the YV USB port can only deliver 0.5A.  The NG manual says if there is not enough power, the power LED will turn solid red.  This is one reason I got the TP-Link box mentioned in the OP because it only takes 0.2A.

Occasional Contributor
soulboy

Thanks for that elteldel. 

I don't have a problem with the power, the light stays green all the time, it's just the LAN connection that seems to be the problem.

I've reset the Netgear and started again. I then rebooted the router incase there was some sort of ip conflict. Seems to be quite stable at the moment. 

If it starts playing up again will send it back and buy the TP-link one

Super Contributor
biggles001
Founder

I have been using a Vonets  VAP11G Wireless Bridge,forsome time with my satellite receiver,and switched it to my YV box about three weeks ago.This little thing works very well with iptv channels,and is an inexpensive piece of kir.I think that it cost me under £20.00,with free postage.

Contributor
JazzTv

I purchased the TP Link from currys for £19.99, with a free 8gb PNY usb flash drive.  Setting it up was a nightmare, but probably because I didn't read the instructions properly.  This allows me to view the Boost channels, so it supports the IGMP.  Only trouble I have is the signal does not appear to be as good as the WNCE3001.  Will try moving it around.

Shame about the WNCE not supporting the IGMP and multicasting.  :smileysad:

Contributor
elteldel
Founder

You got a good deal there!  How are you measuring the signal strength?  I tried logging in to mine for comparison, but haven't managed to find that parameter.

Contributor
JazzTv

I was just going from performance, but I think its more a case of having multiple devices using the wireless at the same time that's the problem.  After I logged the laptop off last night, the boost channels were working fine.

I am getting recorded download speeds of just under 8mb, so should be a problem to watch a boost channel and surf the forum.

Occasional Contributor
Arjayar

elteldel & others

I read your reported experience with TP-LINK 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router (TL-WR702N) and bought one. I have not got it to work yet. I set it up in Client Mode as described on TP-LINK website. At what stage do you change it's IP address from 192.168.0.254 to 192.168.1.254? Is it after setup? When do you detach it from the computer and attach it to the YouView box?

Not being very adept at computer I would appreciate a step by step description of how to do this complete setup as I am obviously not doing it correctly, and there seems to be some discrepancy between the instructions included with the device and the website. eg do you type in the IP addresses , the DNS & Gateway nos. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Contributor
elteldel
Founder

This is just a quick reply as I'm going to be away from my computer for a couple of days.  Change the IP address as the last step and then remove it from the computer and attach it via the USB (power) and Ethernet cables to the YouView Box and it should work.  You should be able to get access to it wirelessly from your computer via the 192.168.1.254 address (in the address bar of your browser).  I hope that works, but if not let me know and I'll get back to you on my return.

Frequent Contributor
mjh73
Founder

Hi, sorry to but in, but does anyone know if this works Vonets VAP11G WiFi Bridge Dongle ? I've used it for sky on demand for a while and was wondering if i get TV essentials if it would work?

Cheers,

Mark

Super Contributor
biggles001
Founder

[ Edited ]

Hi mjh73,I've been using a Vonets VAP11G wireless bridge with my original box,since the start of the trial of the updated box.It seems to work very well,but is only about 5metres from my router.My updated box is connected to the router via a Powerline adapter,and is great,as is my Linux sat box.I am on the Plus TV package,using fibre medium,but can't see why this little bridge wouldn't work with Essentials.TT don't sell the Vonets,so don't support it!

Biggles001

Frequent Contributor
mjh73
Founder

Cheers mate!:smileyhappy:

Contributor
JazzTv

I would agree the instructions are not clear until you have actually managed to do it.  You need to make sure you are changing the details on this adaptor.

Have you followed the cd instructions?

Contributor
elteldel
Founder

Arjayar

Did you get it working?  If not, let me know and I'll try to help further.

Occasional Contributor
Arjayar

eldeltel

Thanks! I've tried lots of ways but not yet working. First I configured the device using several different TP-LINK sites, including a Canada and an Australian one. I also tried the automatic assign address. Several times I accessed website 192.168.9.254 and went through their procedure. I was told it was connected but it did not work. Now I can't log in to that site! I tried changeing to 192.168.1.254.

I can see the device in my in the connections icon at the bottom of the desktop but when I "connect" it the usual ISP connection is lost and the TP-LINK device has no internet access. It says the current settings are IP address 192.168.1.4, the Gateway 192.168.1.1, DHCP Server 192.168.1.1 (and DNS Server also). Now confused.

Perhaps you can tell me exactly what to put in to configure (I am using Windows 7) and then do I work through the whole setup as on the 192.168.0.254 website? After that do I change the address to 192.168.1.254 before connecting to my YouView box? Sorry to be long-winded and the terminology is amateurish.