Occasional Contributor
drokkeh

Can you use alternative routers with talk talk residential fibre?

Hi All.  Just want to confirm that you can use another router other than the supplied talk talk DSL 3780 VDSL router for my home fibre connection?

The only router i can get working is the preconfigured talk talk one. I have tried a Netgear WNR2000v2 and a cisco 887VA but both gain sync but fail to auth.  From what i have been told you authenticate from the port on the MSAN which means it doesnt use the usernsame and password?

Could it be possible that my circuit is built so its only allowing the talk talk router to gain auth? (locked to mac or something?)

When i plug the openreach modem into my laptop it just goes online straight away.  no username/password needed.

Thanks.

bestmanx3

Re: Can you use alternative routers with talk talk residential fibre?

Hi drokkeh,

It is possible to use an alternative router with TalkTalk fibre, have a look at this thread, it's quite long but contains lots of examples of alternative routers being used http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Superpowered-Fibre-Broadband/Alternative-Fibre-Routers/m-p/707566

Regards

“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.” - Albert Einstein
Community Terms of Service========“Please read"========Community Guidelines

MVC_sig_pomo_baz.png

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Do you have talk talk TV service as well?

if you do the router has to support multicast and there are some further steps to get it to work, but you will only get support with the TV service (and fibre in general) if you use the supplied router.

Super Contributor
pippip

drokkeh wrote: When i plug the openreach modem into my laptop it just goes online straight away.  no username/password needed 

As you've noted yourself the signal coming out of the openreach modem needs no authentication, it's live internet. Have you set the router IP connection type to Dynamic?

Occasional Contributor
drokkeh

Yes - I have the talk talk TV also, however its not plugged into the router at all just purely into the back of the TV.  Is it relevant if the talk talk TV box is not connected to the internet?

Occasional Contributor
drokkeh

Yes i beleive so.  I will double check this in the config.

OCE_Ady
Topics: 0
Kudos: 722
Solutions: 349

[ Edited ]

Hi ,

have you been disconnection your BT modem frequently in the last few days?

If not we need to raise a fault ticket as your line is show lots of disconnections.

I will need you to add an alternate contact number in your profile to log the fault.

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution