Frequent Contributor
tmarsh

Fibre Optic Install - the Talk talk Experience!

So, around April I think I'll move to fibre BB. TT's web site says May for my area, Northern Ireland. End of May, yes, BB available I sign up, told I will need to renew contract for 18 months, which I do. A few days later no confirmation so I ring again, told, yes you've renewed your contract but you haven't ordered fibre! Yes I have! No you haven't! OK, so can I order now. Yes certainly, it's available in your area. I sign again!
Next day, a phone call, very sorry, problem with your exchange, no fibre, please check back in a few weeks. Let it go for a while and try again end of july. Yes, available, we'll contact you. Start of August, received the welcome letter and modem etc, install date set for tomorrow, 10 August. Call this morning, very sorry, engineer won't be calling, there is a problem but we'll contact you as soon as we can!
TT's web site still says fibre is available in my area, BT are rolling it out around me. Is it just me or is something slightly odd here? :smileyindifferent:
Just received an email from TT saying We have received notification to cancel your order for TalkTalk Fibre Optic Boost for the following telephone number # We are sorry that you have decided to cancel your order
Who knows!
Thomas J Marshall
Regular Contributor
Stoker

Re: Fibre Optic Install - the Talk talk Experience!

Originally Posted by tmarsh
So, around April I think I'll move to fibre BB. TT's web site says May for my area, Northern Ireland. End of May, yes, BB available I sign up, told I will need to renew contract for 18 months, which I do. A few days later no confirmation so I ring again, told, yes you've renewed your contract but you haven't ordered fibre! Yes I have! No you haven't! OK, so can I order now. Yes certainly, it's available in your area. I sign again!

Next day, a phone call, very sorry, problem with your exchange, no fibre, please check back in a few weeks. Let it go for a while and try again end of july. Yes, available, we'll contact you. Start of August, received the welcome letter and modem etc, install date set for tomorrow, 10 August. Call this morning, very sorry, engineer won't be calling, there is a problem but we'll contact you as soon as we can!

TT's web site still says fibre is available in my area, BT are rolling it out around me. Is it just me or is something slightly odd here? :smileyindifferent:

Just received an email from TT saying We have received notification to cancel your order for TalkTalk Fibre Optic Boost for the following telephone number # We are sorry that you have decided to cancel your order

Who knows!

It isn't just you (small comfort I know).

Virtually the same has happened to me. My install date was 12th but got a call this morning saying that there were issues and that they couldn't give me a date when they might be resolved. I'm attached to the Cregagh exchange. What about you?

I might just raise a complaint if they are still saying that fibre optic is available on my line.

See my post about "Ordering Fibre Optic Onine?"
Frequent Contributor
tmarsh

Originally Posted by Stoker
It isn't just you (small comfort I know).

Virtually the same has happened to me. My install date was 12th but got a call this morning saying that there were issues and that they couldn't give me a date when they might be resolved. I'm attached to the Cregagh exchange. What about you?

I might just raise a complaint if they are still saying that fibre optic is available on my line.

See my post about "Ordering Fibre Optic Onine?"
I'm on the Coleraine exchange. I was a bit peeved (hence my post!) but I talked to a very helpful TT tech this evening called Paul and he says it is a problem in NI, something to do with the exchanges. Not sure if it's a BT thing or TT getting things to work but guess I'll have to wait and see.

I've been with TT for several years now and service has been very good so I'll give them a few weeks to sort things. I'm happy enough to wait now I know it's a problem that they've come up against and are trying to resolve rather than something that could have been avoided.

Beginning to sound like a TT spin doctor!!! :smileyvery-happy:
Thomas J Marshall
Community Star
jcampy

Well best of luck with it getting it

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Regular Contributor
Stoker

I'm on the Coleraine exchange. I was a bit peeved (hence my post!) but I talked to a very helpful TT tech this evening called Paul and he says it is a problem in NI, something to do with the exchanges. Not sure if it's a BT thing or TT getting things to work but guess I'll have to wait and see.

I've been with TT for several years now and service has been very good so I'll give them a few weeks to sort things. I'm happy enough to wait now I know it's a problem that they've come up against and are trying to resolve rather than something that could have been avoided.

Beginning to sound like a TT spin doctor!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Yes but why does there website still say that it is available when it isn't?

I presume that if your with them for some time that you had to change from a legacy tariff on to either Essentials or Plus. I moved from TT International Anytime and chose the Plus package when I was advised that if the TT Availability Checker said that Fibre Optic was available then I would be able to get it. After the 2 months half-price offer expires then I will be paying more for less service as I have now lost the International calls feature. I know that I could pay an extra £3 and get the International Calls feature back but that would be adding insult to injury. I feel that people in Northern Ireland are being conned by TT and that they shouldn't be advertising Fibre Optic here until they are able to provide the service.
Frequent Contributor
tmarsh

Yes but why does there website still say that it is available when it isn't?

I presume that if your with them for some time that you had to change from a legacy tariff on to either Essentials or Plus. I moved from TT International Anytime and chose the Plus package when I was advised that if the TT Availability Checker said that Fibre Optic was available then I would be able to get it. After the 2 months half-price offer expires then I will be paying more for less service as I have now lost the International calls feature. I know that I could pay an extra £3 and get the International Calls feature back but that would be adding insult to injury. I feel that people in Northern Ireland are being conned by TT and that they shouldn't be advertising Fibre Optic here until they are able to provide the service.
Yes, they offered me an upgrade for an extra £5/month but later on said it was not available. Said they would waive the £25 intsallation fee but it appeared on the confirmation letter. I used to think BT's pricing was confusing!
Thomas J Marshall
Regular Contributor
Stoker

Yes, they offered me an upgrade for an extra £5/month but later on said it was not available. Said they would waive the £25 intsallation fee but it appeared on the confirmation letter. I used to think BT's pricing was confusing!

They gave me a credit of £25 on my last bill against the installation fee. Maybe they have done the same for you.

I wonder if they will claim it back now that the order has been cancelled. That is something I don't fully understand - why could they not have left the orders open rather than cancelling them?
Super Contributor
K9

HI tmarsh, what area of Coleraine, I had an interesting chat with an engineer working on the fibre cab opposite Tesco just near the bulls eye. Strangely the guy was not a BT engineer, but a huawei guy, although the cab was there 2 months, it was still not functional..
Frequent Contributor
tmarsh

Originally Posted by K9
HI tmarsh, what area of Coleraine, I had an interesting chat with an engineer working on the fibre cab opposite Tesco just near the bulls eye. Strangely the guy was not a BT engineer, but a huawei guy, although the cab was there 2 months, it was still not functional..
I'm about 1 mile away near the Portrush road roundabout. There's a cabinet nearre to me at Elms park in Ballysally. What did he say? :smileyvery-happy:
Thomas J Marshall
Contributor
dpmiller

so this issue is Province-wide then? A couple of months back, the checker showed as available for me (NINTS), but when I rang to order a day or two later it'd been withdrawn again.

Oddly tho someone local to me has a fancy TT-branded N router- two simultaneous wireless channels- but I thought they only came with Fibre?

D.
Community Star
jcampy

Plus customors also have N routers provided

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Frequent Contributor
tmarsh

Originally Posted by dpmiller
so this issue is Province-wide then? A couple of months back, the checker showed as available for me (NINTS), but when I rang to order a day or two later it'd been withdrawn again.
D.
I think it must be. TT's site still shows availability today. I know BT is rolling it out around here and TT has their equipment enabled at the exchange so it's either BT dragging it's heels or TT.
Thomas J Marshall
Regular Contributor
Stoker

I think it must be. TT's site still shows availability today. I know BT is rolling it out around here and TT has their equipment enabled at the exchange so it's either BT dragging it's heels or TT.

When I emailed TalkTalk about my cancellation they said in their reply that Fibre Optic WAS available. I have now reordered and have an installation date of 24th August.
Frequent Contributor
tmarsh

When I emailed TalkTalk about my cancellation they said in their reply that Fibre Optic WAS available. I have now reordered and have an installation date of 24th August.
Let me know if it goes ahead.
Thomas J Marshall
Community Star
tony61

good luck with your fibre guys
i am connected to the lurgan exchange and have been getting fibre optic now for a month
speeds are great at an average of 35meg
the router gives a bit of trouble now and again but overall very happy with it:smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
tmarsh

Somewhere in all the calls with TT they said it was an issue with tagging but wouldn't elaborate. Is it simply a tag on my line? Like from a previous provider.
Thomas J Marshall
Regular Contributor
Stoker

Somewhere in all the calls with TT they said it was an issue with tagging but wouldn't elaborate. Is it simply a tag on my line? Like from a previous provider.

In my case I understood them to be saying that the issue was something to do with authentication between the BT Network and the TT network. If they have it working in Lurgan then what is the difference with our exchanges?

I still haven't got an answer as to why they ask people to cancel their orders. You'd think it would help put the pressure on whoever has to solve the problem if they had a lot of open orders waiting to be fulfilled. I'm fully expecting them to ask me to cancel my most recent order.
Contributor
Coombese

if your on TalkTalk LLU there would be no tag on your line
Frequent Contributor
tmarsh

In my case I understood them to be saying that the issue was something to do with authentication between the BT Network and the TT network. If they have it working in Lurgan then what is the difference with our exchanges?

I still haven't got an answer as to why they ask people to cancel their orders. You'd think it would help put the pressure on whoever has to solve the problem if they had a lot of open orders waiting to be fulfilled. I'm fully expecting them to ask me to cancel my most recent order.
In my case TT cancelled it. I talked to them this evening because I received a letter of cancellation, sorry you're cancelling etc and then today another saying they will arrange for the return of the router. When I rang they said it is a routine letter, they cancel and then re-order, just hang on to the router and ignore the letters.
Thomas J Marshall
Frequent Contributor
tmarsh

Originally Posted by Coombese
if your on TalkTalk LLU there would be no tag on your line
Yes I am. It must be as Stoker said, a BT/TT issue.
Thomas J Marshall