Occasional Contributor
walter12

Port forwarding withTalkTalk routers

I have just had TalkTalk fibre broadband fitted with a supplied DLINK 3780 router and I am having serious problems setting up port forwarding.

With the previous TT broadband , I was able to set up several forwarding ports with firewall rules and I now require these on the new router.

I have phoned TT technical on several lengthy occasions and strangely, they will not support their own router with this problem, something which has already been reported on this forum and elsewhere. There is no manual, DLINK themselves do not list the router and it is not listed on the site portforward.com.

It seems possible that the alternative TT fibre router - HUAWEI HG533 - might work, but even though a swap was suggested as possible when I signed up, TT now appear reticent to do this.

I may unfortunately have to go to the expense of buying a different router to solve the problem, but I am unable to get help from TT technical about any possible compatibility issues or setting up procedures.

An added complication is YouView, which apparently needs IGMP support and it is not obvious whether this works with other routers.

Can anyone kindly offer any advice? (or even a solution!)

Fred_Sheehan
Founder

Re: Port forwarding withTalkTalk routers

You view does indeed need multicast support, for the talk talk player boosts anyway. If you use normal catch up players and no talk talk boosts, then you don't need it at all.

It is possible to set this up on many other brand routers, there was a topic on the forum about settings that work, search draytek and multicast you should find it.

As for port forwarding, how are you testing for open ports?

Many routers will only correctly show as open when testing from outside your LAN, when trying to access it internally from the LAN it requires NAT loopback to be available, many home routers don't support this very well if at all, and talk talk ones are no different in this regard.

Is UPnP enabled in the router, it is off by default.

If it is a games console, put it in the routers DMZ and there is nothing to  forward. If a PC, then UPnP enables it to open/close ports as it needs, again no forwarding needed.

Most newer routers are better left to do their own port opening/closing as needed.

Occasional Contributor
walter12

Thanks Fred for your quick response.

Previously, with broadband, I managed to get a working port forwarding configuration on the Netgear router which worked really well, however when the fibre was fitted, I needed the same thing to be up and working quickly. Unfortunately, after spending two full days trying, I failed to get the DLINK 3780 to work in the same manner - pity there is no manual! I spoke to TT technical several times as well as other network and router experts and no-one was able to help - I did however get one or two unfavourable comments about the practical use of this particular router.

As regards using a different router, there seems to be a shortage of fibre routers out there and they appear to be expensive! Additionally, my concern is that if I buy one, it may not work with TT fibre (TT technical say they cannot advise!)

I have tested for open ports both internally - by asking if the port is open (eg canyouseeme.org) and externally - by trying to connect from the web. 

I do not know if UPnP is enabled (where is the switch?) though I am presuming it is, because the router assigns addresses to connected devices, even if I try to assign an IP manually (which I want to do).

I did manage to get DMZ to work, but it will only work on one IP address (unless I am not seeing something) however I am led to believe that this is not a secure method. (it is not for games console use)

If routers do their own port opening/closing, how are they instructed to do this and how will you know which ports to use from the web in order to access the different connected devices?

This is the way I tried to set up the ports on the DLINK 3780

I added VIRTUAL SERVER RULES for each device

I set the SPECIAL APPLICATIONS for each device

It did not work - the ports did not open

Strangely, one of devices did manage to get past the router, even though it's specific port was not open (the manufacturer could not understand this either)

Put simply, all I am trying to do is set up the router to allow me to access several router-connected devices from the web. With regard to multicast, I may use the catch up service, but presently I am not really interested in the player boosts. I suppose that, if I bought a non-multicast router, I could change back to the DLINK when I wanted multicast.

I may be missing something about the DLINK and if you could give any suggestions, they would be gratefully received.

Occasional Contributor
walter12

As an addition to the last message:

The DHCP SERVER is set to ENABLE, which may be one of the problems since the router assigns IP addresses automatically to connected devices. However, I would image that disabling it would mean manually assigning addresses to all connected devices.

On my previous router, using the rules, I was able to allocate the required IP addresses to the devices but also let the router distribute other devices automatically, which it did, avoiding those reserved addresses.

OCE_Chris
Topics: 1
Kudos: 526
Solutions: 255
Founder

[ Edited ]

Hi walter12,

Apologies I can't really offer you any help with this issue. I see that Fred has already offered you some assistance, perhaps other members may be able help :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
walter12

Port forwarding with Dlink & Huawei routers

Recently got fibre and was provided with a Dlink DSL 3780 router.

After spending a great deal of time, I have been unable to get port forwarding to work and looking at several other sites, it seems other people are also struggling with this particular router.

The talktalk loyalty department arranged to send me a Huawei HG533 as this would appear to allow the manual setting of port forwarding (although I am not 100% certain). However, when the box arrived it was another Dlink DSL 3780 and phoning loyalty again, I was told that even if one of the routers was specified, the other one could be sent.

I noticed a post on the community where someone encountering the same problem with the DSL3780 was told that they would be sent a Huawei HG533 to try.

On the phone, I was told that this kind of specific model request was not possible - is it possible online?

Fred_Sheehan
Founder

Re: Port forwarding with Dlink & Huawei routers

specific routers cannot be guranteed, however the order is placed, it just depends on what they have available in the depot as to what is sent.

Just for info;

UPnP - Universal Plug and Play - this is how a device/piece of software can open and close its own ports as needed, i.e. automatically, it is a tick box, usually elewhhere to port forwarding settings etc (in my HG533 router it is in 'advanced > UPnP for instance)

anyway...

if you want a port forwarded from the internet, you need to set them up as a 'virtual server' in the router.

you can open several ports at a time this way, it is done this way to isolate the incoming internet traffic from the internal network, without a virtual server the firewall blocks access.

steps should be the same as these;

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-2780/Minecraft_Server.htm

Occasional Contributor
walter12

Thanks for the help Fred.

For web access, I have tried setting (in advanced) the applications and virtual servers but it doesn't work - the ports do not open. DMZ seems to be the only thing which works. It may be that I am missing something, but I have spent a great deal of time looking for solutions. The router link you gave is a Dlink DSL 2780 and I have seen a post from someone who was also having trouble with port forwarding on the 3780 - he said he previously had used a 2780 which worked fine but that there appeared to be something missing on the 3780.

I can see several port forwarding explanations on different sites for the Huawei HG533 which is why I want to try that one. As I have the Youview option, I believe my options for other routers is limited.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

OCE_Ady
Topics: 0
Kudos: 574
Solutions: 290
Founder

Hi ,

for TV customers we only get the option of one router and that router can be either Dlink or Huawei based on stock levels in the warehouse.

Here is a post Nathan made following testing of port forwarding setups on the Dlink:

Log on to the router, go to advanced, then adanced again,

Click on Virtual servers

Tick to enable virtual server rules

Name: Enter what ever name you wish

Interface: PVC1

Internal IP: 192.168.1.2 (this is the IP address of the device you are forwarding to)

Internal startport: 80 

Internal endport: 80 

External startport:80 

External endport: 80

Protocol type: All

Time: Disable

Click add/apply

Once the settings have been applied you can then test by accessing your external IP address outside of your network such as through a 3G connection.

I hope it helps.

Occasional Contributor
walter12

Re: DSL-3780 Fibre Broadband Port Issues

I have exactly the same story as amm1992.

When I first had fibre installed, I needed to set up my systems in 3 days, something which should have been easy, however, I spent 2 full days trying to get the 3780 to portforward without success. Since then I have asked around, spoken to router experts, tried talktalk cs (same result as amm1992) and having read other posts, realised that something seems to be missing from this router.

I am led to believe that the Huawei HG533 will do the trick, however watching one of the video'd descriptions of how to do it, I noticed that at one point, the instruction was to switch the firewall off, rather than set up firewall rules, which doesn't seem sensible.

So, I am thinking more and more that I am going to have to buy a different router.

If a new firmware becomes available for the DSL3780 - hopefully solving the above issue - I'll be one of the first to try it!

Occasional Contributor
walter12

Thanks Adrian,

I have actually tried this, with the addition of applications for the firewall and it didn't work.

Apart from the ports not opening, I noticed that the internal ip addresses were not respected, by this I mean that the devices I was attaching already had ip addresses in their menus so that they needed to be matched in the router's settings. What was happening was that the router was still assigning a different address - usually from 192.168.1. 2,3,.. upwards.

Another strange thing is that one device only works with one specific port, however even though it was closed, I was still able to access the device from the external web - even the manufacturer can't explain this one!

UPnP is disabled and I have seen someone else mention they have tried it enabled without success.

I am not a router expert but I have previously succeeded in getting the router on broadband to correctly port forward.

I could be missing some little detail (feel free to advise), but look as I may, I can't find the problem.

OCE_Ady
Founder

Hi ,

I don't think it's you, I think it's the firmware on the router, but had been assured that it worked.

I'm passing your thread over to our colleagues in products so that they can take a look at this.

Occasional Contributor
walter12

Thanks again for your help.

I have been in touch with the technical department of one of my devices needing port forwarding and I am going to try one more time to get the router to work. They will then check my settings and give me their opinion.

I would like to start from scratch with the router, so can I easily reset everything - ie avoiding the manual delete of all the added lines?

Would running the wizard do the trick?

Also, what does the reboot actually do?

I should mention that the router does work as regards connecting to the web and using the youview catch-up tv (I haven't tried, so don't know about boosts)

OCE_Ady
Founder

There's a factory reset button on the back of the router, you just press and hold for a few seconds.

Don't bother with the disk.

Let me know how you get on.

Occasional Contributor
walter12

I will try the reset - wish me luck!!!

Small point, when I received the 3780, there were no instructions, manual or disk and as I mentioned earlier, it took me some time to find out where everything is. When he came, I thought the fibre installer (BT Openreach) would give me a few pointers, however he correctly said that their responsibility was up to the modem.

OCE_Ady
Founder

[ Edited ]

Hi ,

one of the big problems with our routers is the lack of a user manual.

You'll find that your fellow community members are very capable and technically aware.

You should be able to find the help you need.

Occasional Contributor
walter12

I thought I would feedback my last attempt to port forward on the DLINK DSL3780

First, I reset the router using the button on the back of the machine.

Next, I added the following settings:

Goto ADVANCED / ADVANCED / VIRTUAL SERVER

Enable Virtual /Server Rules:

Name: Device1

Interface: PVC1

Internal IP: 192.168.1.100

Internal startpoint: 90

Internal endpoint: 90

External startpoint: 90

External endpoint: 90

Protocol Type: Both

Time: Disable

ADD / APPLY

Then Goto ADVANCED / APPLICATIONS

Enable Application:

Name: Device1

Trigger Port Start: 90

Trigger Port End: 90

Trigger Traffic Protocol Type: All Protocol

Open Port: 90

Open Traffic Protocol Type: All Protocol

ADD / APPLY

UPnP is disabled

The device was accessible within the LAN using the address 192.168.1.100:90

However, port 90 remains closed to the external web

I have tried this with different IP addresses and ports, also with UPnP enabled and without the firewall, every time with the same result.

I have also been in touch with the connected device's technical team and they have logged on to the router and gone through the settings. They also cannot get the port forwarding to work on this router.

DMZ does work for one IP address, but you cannot add any more IP addresses because the Service Number becomes blanked out after one entry.

Anyway, I do not want to use DMZ due to the security risk.

So, it seems the DSL3780 has an issue with allowing (or not allowing) portforwarding.

Unfortunately, this means I will have to buy another router.

OCE_Ady
Founder

Hi ,

there will definitely be updates coming in the near future that should help with this issue, but I don't know when.

If you do choose to buy another router would you be kind enough to post back and let us know.

Occasional Contributor
walter12

I look forward to the updates - is there a particular site where they will appear?

I await the arrival of a second hand Netgear N300 which will hopefully work as a basic router - Netgear are normally easy to set up for port forwarding. I do though expect there may be issues with the 'youview' service as IGMP will not be available with this router.

I'll feed back anything of interest.

OCE_Ady
Founder

Hi ,

the TalkTalk routers have a feature called TR069 if this is enabled the new firmware is pushed to the routers automatically when it's released.