Contributor
vixsandLee

Port Forwarding DSL-3780

Has anyone had any joy with port forwarding on this box ?

AdminCP > Advanced > Applications
Name apache
trigger port start 82
trigger port end 82
trigger port type all
open port 82
open type all

And nada. :smileyindifferent:
So has anyone got this to actually work, and if you have what am I doing wrong lol
I have even tried swearing at it, but still nothing :smileysad:
Contributor
alweekes

Re: Port Forwarding DSL-3780

I don't have access to the router at the moment, but you need to set up NAT to forward the ports and then set firewall rules to allow those ports to pass through the firewall.

I can give you more info later if no one else helps before hand.

Andy.
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Originally Posted by vixsandLee

AdminCP > Advanced > Applications

Name apache
trigger port start 82
trigger port end 82
trigger port type all
open port 82
open type all

And nada. :smileyindifferent:

So has anyone got this to actually work, and if you have what am I doing wrong lol

I have even tried swearing at it, but still nothing :smileysad:

If you have set up port forwarding correctly then it will be accessible from outside your home, but very often it will not appear to be accessible from inside your home

Many home routers do not do very well when it comes to NAT loopback, the sever has had ports open from the outside of your network (the forwarding rules), but it also has an external IP, when you try and access your server from inside your home this means you should use your internal IP (NAT loopback support does this for you)

Try accessing your server using its internal IP and port number;

192.168.1.10:82 for instance and it will probably be there and running as you would expect!

If you want to see what your website looks like for testing and access it from your home network via its name, edit your hosts file to point to the correct internal IP for your web server!

Use a computer outside your own internal network to check connectivity from the www :smileywink:
Contributor
vixsandLee

Yeah I am trying from outside of my LAN, I can access it internally fine.
Its externally that is the problem.

ALW, that info would be helpful when you have the time. I am currently redoing my web server at the moment anyway, so no need to rush :smileyhappy:
Contributor
pbarrass

Originally Posted by vixsandLee

I was trying to set up port forwarding, and came here looking for a pointer or two - I should have known the thread title was too good to be true :smileyindifferent:

Anyway, I think I've eventually got it sorted for my VoIP adapter, so some hints:

I think you should be using the 'Virtual Server' rather than 'Applications' forwarding method in this case, as the applications method appears to rely on an outbound connection, which your web server usually won't be doing.

I also found that I needed to set up the device with a static entry in the DHCP table under 'LAN Setup' - the device is configured with a static IP, but the router seems to ignore it unless you allow it to think it's in control...

HTH,
Paul.
Contributor
alweekes

Just had a quick look at mine.

As mentioned above you need to use the virtual server section to set up each service, you'll need fixed ip's on the devices you want to access.

I've set up mine in both the applications section and the virtual server section, but I'm not sure if I needed to do the former or not.

Works for me though, as an example I have an application called Minecraft, with a range of ports set up, then each individual server has an entry in the virtual server section.

Hope that makes sense.

Andy.
Contributor
vixsandLee

Cheers guys (and Gals(?) I am going to further investigate now.

Thanks for the tips and pointers.
N/A
Robsterno1

Hi all,
Just thought I would add to this to attempt to help those still struggling as this router seems to have a mind of its own, I really can't understand why they took out the simplicity of the port forwarding menu in the dsl 2780 on the 3780, makes no sense.
Anyway, I needed 3 ports open for my DVR, port 80 for HTTP, port 34567 for TCP and port 34599 for mobile app.
What I have ended up doing is adding all into the virtual server menu as previously mentioned with port 80 as the external port on both my HTTP and mobile and port 34567 as the external on my TCP, then I had to set up my mobile port in the applications menu as well with port 80 as a trigger port. I also had to add the static IP of my device into the DHCP list.
After doing all this the ports were still showing as closed but then the next morning they were open and all is now working fine?..
I really don't understand why, or how what I have done actually works but it does and hopefully will help others who are confused, as I say the menu structure in the dsl 2780 was far simpler, and all talktalk will tell you to do is call d-link, most helpful,
Have fun.
Frequent Contributor
Terrick

Hi,

I use ADVANCE,Virtual server   This needs a local address ie 192.168.1.XXX  and port 80 for web server. If you wand all ports use DMZ.

Occasional Contributor
sean1

Hi I have just received the DSL-3780 and wondered if some one could tell me how to open ports, in simple terms please,

Thanks

New Contributor
paulch

After several days of messing about, I think I've sorted it. I thought I'd share my experience.

The key to port fowarding is (in my case), no hardcoded IP Addresses.

Basically I have a webcam I want to view from outside the house, simple enough. The problem it turns out was that I had put a manual IP Address into the webcam (192.168.1.240). For some reason the DSL3780 doesnt like this.

I was then trying to get the Virtual Servers section in the router advanced setup to port forward port 27000. Filled everything in correctly. But nothing.

Basically all you need to do a make sure your peice of equipment is DHCP (not manual IP).

Find the IP address assigned to it in the LAN setup page of the DSL. Set it to Static from Auto in the Lan Setup.

You can then go into Virtual Servers and setup a standard port fowarding as you would normally. You dont need applications setup or port triggering or anything like that just Virtual Servers. Well for my webcam anyway.