Occasional Contributor
NickG
Founder

BBC broadband speed test - from 5Mb/s down to 1Mb/s in 2.5 weeks

Hi all - a new member here. Hopefully someone can help with this problem.

Our broadband speed on our 7 year old computer was about 1Mb/s according to the BBC's website. The computer was getting very slow as the hard drive was getting full.

A couple of weeks ago we got a new computer, and I did a speed test on it, again using the BBC's website. It showed speeds of around 5Mb/s with not too much variation, which lasted for over a week.

In the last few days though it's gone back down to around 1Mb/s. When it jumped to 5Mb/s on the new computer I assumed the old computer's slowness was part of the problem but it looks like it's something else.

It's annoying as I was until recently enjoying watching HD programme streams but now it's not possible without constant buffering and a message telling me my connection isn't fast enough.

Thanks for any advice on this.
Occasional Contributor
NickG
Founder

Re: BBC broadband speed test - from 5Mb/s down to 1Mb/s in 2.5 weeks

Sorry - I'll try what I can of the questionnaire:

1. What exchange are you connected to ? Whitchurch
2. Is it near any outages or congested exchanges ? No
3. Do you have other telephone extensions ? No
4. Do you have an NTE5 master socket and if so have you tried connecting your modem directly to the test socket ? Not sure as the phone socket in the living room is behind a large bookshelf
5. Are you having any other voice related problems such as noisy lines and ringtone / ringing issues ? No
6. What modem are you using ? Make, Model and Firmware SmartAX MT882 Firmware Release E.37.5.5
7. Are you using a telephone extension lead to connect your modem to the telephone socket ? No
8. What is your modem line attenuation down and up? 10.0/4.0
9. Have you tested with a different modem? No - this is the only one we have
10. What is your modem SNR Margin down and up 7.0/22.0
11. What is your operation (connection) mode (From modem status page) ADSL
12. What is your bandwidth down and up (from modem status page) 7168/448
13. Is your router indicating a Fast or Interleaved Data Path ? Don't know
14. What security software do you have installed ? None
15. What are your speed test results on the TalkTalk Members' Speed Tester 5540/368
16. Are you experiencing the disconnections at any specific time ? N/A
17. What lights change on your modem when you get disconnected ? N/A
18. Which Operating System are you using on your PC / mac (and which version) ? Mac OS X 10.6.1
19. Which applications are you experiencing slow speeds with e.g browsing, Peer2Peer, Gaming, VPN, FTP etc Browsing

Murphy's law is in effect - it's coming up now (11.30 pm) at 5.5Mb/s on the Talk Talk speed test and about 4.6 Mb/s on the BBC speed test. This is the first time it's been this fast for about 3 or 4 days. About 40 minutes ago though it was down to a shocking 0.4 Mb/s on the BBC test.
Retired
Nathann

Hi NickG,

Is it possible you could run a speedtest form speedtester.bt.com, and paste the results into this thread. Also is it just the BBC speedtester that you get slow speeds on? Do you experience slow speeds at specific times?

Thanks

Nathan

Occasional Contributor
NickG
Founder

Originally Posted by OCE_Nathan
Hi NickG,

Is it possible you could run a speedtest form speedtester.bt.com, and paste the results into this thread. Also is it just the BBC speedtester that you get slow speeds on? Do you experience slow speeds at specific times?

Thanks

Nathan

I tried the test - it asked for a user ID. No idea what that means as I have never used that site before :smileymad:

I tried again - no prompt for an ID but I got "The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

The BBC broadband speed tester is showing speeds of 0.7-0.9 Mb/s at present. I suppose it could be related to the evening peak but if so why didn't it drop drastically a week or two ago at these times? Like I said I was always able to watch BBC HD content on iPlayer which requires a speed of >3.5 Mb/s.

I'm trying to access the Modem Status Page at 192.168.1.1/ but this time it's requesting a user name & password. It just logged me in automatically last night :smileymad:

I was hoping to get some info on my connection status whilst speeds are dismal but no luck so far...

Edit: the Modem status page has let me in again:

Product Name SmartAX MT882
Physical Address 00:1D:6A:E2:E9:4F
Software Release V200R002B021 Opal
Firmware Release E.37.5.5
Release Date (2006-05-12)
Batch ID RCC1P3.021.E37555
System Up Time 19:14:26
ADSL Description
ADSL Status Showtime/Data
DSL Up Time 19:13:51
Data Path Interleaved
Standard G.dmt
Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 7168/448
SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 7.5/22.0
Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 10.0/4.0
CRC Down/Up 58/0
FEC Down/Up 731/0
HEC Down/Up 53/0

The Talk Talk Members speed tester shows a download speed of only 888kb/s which is very poor.

It was fine early this morning before 8 am (>5Mb/s).
OCE_Chris
Topics: 1
Kudos: 599
Solutions: 275
Founder

Hi NickG,

If the modem requests a username and password its "admin" for both

The BBC broadband speed tester is showing speeds of 0.7-0.9 Mb/s at present.

Did you mean BT broadband speed tester?

Could you try some more speedtests at different times of day please, and post the results?

Thanks
Chris

Occasional Contributor
NickG
Founder

Just an update to say that this week it's been fine so there hasn't really been any opportunities to find out when speeds drop and then come back.

Perhaps it has settled down now but I will try and post some results on here if I have more problems. Hopefully not.
OCE_Chris
Founder

Hi NickG,

Thanks for the update

Chris

Occasional Contributor
NickG
Founder

An update:

There must be a probelm with the BBC website as their results at present (before 7 am) are varying between 0.2 and 0.6 Mb/s which is the worst set of results I've ever come across. However, the Talk Talk speed test shows 6100 Kb/s (or about 6 Mb/s) which is over 10x faster!

It's a shame as I use the BBC's figures to see whether I can use their HD iPlayer streams.

Here's a set of results from the Modem Status Page:

System Information

Item Description
System Up Time 512:44:54
ADSL Description
DSL Up Time 512:44:19
Data Path Interleaved
Standard G.dmt
Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 7168/448
SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 7.5/22.0
CRC Down/Up 1475/18
FEC Down/Up 20442/92
HEC Down/Up 1376/10
Super Contributor
westendboy
Founder

Pinging the BBC at the moment is taking forever. Website must be having problems.

Barney for Leader of the UN.

Retired
OCW_Andrew

Hi NickG,

I have ran a test on your line and it is not picking up any faults.

If speed tests are returning good results from our website then it would suggest the slow speed issue is in relation to the BBC website.

Did you run a speed test on BT's speed test?

Thanks,

Andrew
Andy
TalkTalk`s Online Content Team

Occasional Contributor
NickG
Founder

Seems to be a big problem tonight. From the Talk Talk Members speed test:

We recorded your speed as
Download 651 KBits/s (81.375 KBytes/s)
Upload 363 KBits/s (45.375 KBytes/s)

BBC test showed 0.4 kb/s.

Modem status page:

System Information

Item Description
System Up Time 671:7:27
ADSL Description
DSL Up Time 10:12:30
Data Path Interleaved
Standard G.dmt
Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 7552/448
SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 6.5/22.0
CRC Down/Up 2692/27
FEC Down/Up 29015/132
HEC Down/Up 2501/17

Is this drastic drop in speed just due to heavy evening traffic? Seems odd that it can go for days with no problems and then all of a sudden it starts playing up again.
Retired
OCW_Andrew

When you get the slow speed problem can you run the speed test on the BT website speedtest.bt.com as it should give you your sync rate and IP profile.

Also can you run the simple network test.

Andrew
Andy
TalkTalk`s Online Content Team

Occasional Contributor
NickG
Founder

Originally Posted by OCE_Andrew
When you get the slow speed problem can you run the speed test on the BT website speedtest.bt.com as it should give you your sync rate and IP profile.

Also can you run the simple network test.

Andrew

Well speed seems very slow again tonight.

I can't run the speedtest on BT as I don't have an account with them - it was asking for a user name. A second attempt brought up a screen where I could enter my phone number, house name and postcode. When I went to run the test I got:

"We're sorry...
There was a problem checking your information - please try again later. If the problem persists; please call us on 0800 085 7343 for further information. Our advisors are available from 8:00am to 9:00pm, Monday to Friday, from 8.00am to 8.00pm Saturday and from 9:00am to 6:00pm on Sundays."

The simple network test is no good either as this is for Windows - I am using a Mac.

The Talk Talk Members speed test is showing 992 kb/s.

Anything else I can do, or is this big drop in performance just due to network traffic?
Super Contributor
The Islander
Founder

Originally Posted by NickG
Well speed seems very slow again tonight.
I can't run the speedtest on BT as I don't have an account with them - it was asking for a user name. A second attempt brought up a screen where I could enter my phone number, house name and postcode. When I went to run the test I got:
"We're sorry...
There was a problem checking your information - please try again later. If the problem persists; please call us on 0800 085 7343 for further information. Our advisors are available from 8:00am to 9:00pm, Monday to Friday, from 8.00am to 8.00pm Saturday and from 9:00am to 6:00pm on Sundays."
The simple network test is no good either as this is for Windows - I am using a Mac.
The Talk Talk Members speed test is showing 992 kb/s.
Anything else I can do, or is this big drop in performance just due to network traffic?

Have you tried this one ( www.speedtest.net/ ). You can paste results into this forum like this. I have found this site very good since you can try speed checks on different servers on the same site.
Regards

Peter
The Islander

OCE_Chris
Founder

Hi NickG,

Could you try the BT speedtester again please, you are on dslmax so it should work (you should only need to enter your telephone number)

Thanks
Chris