Occasional Contributor
bwindi
Founder

Connected to Network but no Internet (Wireless)

Hello

I was hoping someone may be able to help me out

Currently we are struggling to connect to our TalkTalk router wirelessly. The best we can do is connect to the network but we have no internet connection. And then this seems to drop out regularly now as well.
If I connect using wired then everything is fine, top speed, internet access and a lovely great wire hung across the lounge.

The story is last Thursday our area suffered a power cut for about a half hour. Since the power came back we’ve had a permanent broadband issue. Our BT Fibre optic box looks to be working fine, the TalkTalk router (New Huawei HG533) has all the relevant lights displaying correctly, but when it comes to the any of our wireless devices not one can connect fully.

We have 3 laptops, 2 phones and a printer which connected wirelessly.
I’ve re-booted the router numerous times, reviewed the settings via the admin screen, but nothing has worked. I’ve refrained from trying a full factory reset as I don’t want to lose the wired internet access if I can’t get back in.
I don’t think it’s the devices problem as my phone connects fine wirelessly when at work and I can’t believe all three laptops would suffer the same problem all at once.

Any advice or hints would be appreciated?

Many Thanks in advance
Bwindi

Hardware Details as best as I can provide
(let me know what else you require and I'll try to provide it)
Package: Fibre Optic
Router : Huawei HG533
BT Openreach box is plugged direct into the master socket
Router is plugged directly into the BT openreach box
Wired speeds are up to standard and Internet access is working
Occasional Contributor
fredgolightl
Founder

Re: Connected to Network but no Internet (Wireless)

How about entering the router (192.168.1.1) and clicking Advanced, then Maintenence, then Device, and selecting the Configuration File tab and download the current config file - then you can reset the router and if it doesn't work you can just restore the current downloaded/backed-up state by uploading the config file you've downloaded.

Or check the Basic>WAN setup. Mine is like this:

nas_0_38 PPPoA Connected 2.97.xxx.xxx 1
nas_0_65 Bridge Connected 1

WAN connection: Enable
VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
Service list: INTERNET TR069
Connection type: PPPoA
NAT: Enable
Service type: UBR Without PCR
Encapsulation mode: VCMUX
Authentication mode: Auto
Connection trigger: OnDemand
Idle time: seconds 1800
MTU: manual Size: 1432
MSS: 0

Any setting not listed has no checkbox ticket/value entered.
Fred_Sheehan
Founder

Have you tried different wireless channels?

Laptops very often need a wireless adapter driver update to use WPA2 wireless encryption properly, have a read of this topic for help with wireless issues;

www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54714

Frequent Contributor
csidepc
Founder

If you are having problems with all of your wireless devices, then logic dictates that it must be a problem with the router.
You mentioned a power outage. It's possible this has damaged the router.

I managed to "revive" a router that had a similar problem by running a firmware upgrade on it.

Whether this is possible depends partly on your level of experience:smileyhappy:

BTW I never trust router lights, they can be misleading if the router is malfunctioning.

Cheers, col.
Occasional Contributor
bwindi
Founder

Originally Posted by fredgolightl
How about entering the router (192.168.1.1) and clicking Advanced, then Maintenence, then Device, and selecting the Configuration File tab and download the current config file - then you can reset the router and if it doesn't work you can just restore the current downloaded/backed-up state by uploading the config file you've downloaded.

Or check the Basic>WAN setup. Mine is like this:

nas_0_38 PPPoA Connected 2.97.xxx.xxx 1
nas_0_65 Bridge Connected 1

WAN connection: Enable
VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
Service list: INTERNET TR069
Connection type: PPPoA
NAT: Enable
Service type: UBR Without PCR
Encapsulation mode: VCMUX
Authentication mode: Auto
Connection trigger: OnDemand
Idle time: seconds 1800
MTU: manual Size: 1432
MSS: 0

Any setting not listed has no checkbox ticket/value entered.

Thanks for the tip, found how to do this I'll probably make a backup prior to any full reset when I get a chance.
Occasional Contributor
bwindi
Founder

Originally Posted by fred sheehan
Have you tried different wireless channels?

Laptops very often need a wireless adapter driver update to use WPA2 wireless encryption properly, have a read of this topic for help with wireless issues;

www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54714

I've tried the channel changes, with no luck. still the same, no wireless access. I've taken a look at your other post and there is some useful things to look at when I get a chance properly look at this
Occasional Contributor
bwindi
Founder

Originally Posted by csidepc
If you are having problems with all of your wireless devices, then logic dictates that it must be a problem with the router.
You mentioned a power outage. It's possible this has damaged the router.

I managed to "revive" a router that had a similar problem by running a firmware upgrade on it.

Whether this is possible depends partly on your level of experience:smileyhappy:

BTW I never trust router lights, they can be misleading if the router is malfunctioning.

Cheers, col.

Cheers I'm really getting a feeling that the router is the problem, but only in respect with the wireless.

I borrowed a colleagues powerline network plugs to see how they work and they work great. So the router is working fine if everything is plugged in using wires. In fact my wifes laptop is now getting twice the speed she had using wireless. But ultimately our phones and printers still can't connect and get internet access :smileysad:
Super Contributor
ukoldgit
Founder

Have you tried disabling the wireless security so you don't need a password? Don't run it like that forever but maybe something has been corrupted.
Now on a Fibre diet!
Contributor
damonc
Founder

Bwindi you are not alone.

I had fibre installed in October I think and things have been okay until a couple of months ago but in the last few weeks it is much more frequent.

We have 2 laptops, 4 iPads and 2 iPhones connected wirelessly. I have rj45 going from router to 4 port hub which provides hard wired link for my ps3, sky box and av receiver.

I can be playing online games no problem but others are losing Internet capability connected via wireless. Many times they look like they are connected to router with limited access and looking at router the lights would appear that it's ok.

I have found if you click the WLAN button off and then back on it resolves the problem but only temporary. I was initially switching router on and off but then tis takes longer.

I need to look at the router settings to see if there is anything I can change.

However it was fine for a few months and nothing has changed in my set up
New Contributor
BKKK
Founder

With regard to no wireless with HG533 router.
I had the same problem with my new router - on changeover day installed new router - connection to internet np but could not connect any wireless device (3 laptops - wireless printer- 2 smartphones or ipod).
Making the assumption the router was somewhat f#$d - :smileywink: faulty - I used an old router from my last ISP and connected np and awaited visit of Brightsparks eng who was booked for TV (Youview) install.
After a couple of days suddenly my Broadband sync speed plummeted down :smileysad: . Thinking perhaps it was due to the non standard router I was using I dug out the Huawei router again and going on info from the forum I gave it a hard reset (paper clip on reset button)
Immediately my primary laptop connected and all the other devices connected np.
So I assume something was wrong with the configuration as supplied which a return to factory defaults solved. :smileyhappy:
Note - I also tried initially removing the password making the network open but I still couldn't connect :smileymad:
Fred_Sheehan
Founder

Save the present config to a new file from the routers management section, perform a factory reset (paperclip, reset hole, hold for 10 seconds) and then you can connect to the router wired which will 'just work' on the default log in;

name/password - admin

and re-upload the config, see if this sorts it.
Contributor
damonc
Founder

Thanks for the advice.

I will try and do this although worried if I do wrong and then lose my broadband completely.
OCE_Arne
Topics: 0
Kudos: 385
Solutions: 379
Founder

Hi bwindi

Thanks for your post,

we can issue a replacement router, but first can you Please send the information requested in our security questions link via the contact us link (bottom right) ensuring you select the security questions option. Please do not post any of the information requested on the open forums. Please post the reference once it is received by e-mail.

damonc - Can you please start a new thread, and we can look into your problem for you.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
bwindi
Founder

Thanks everyone for the tips and support.

I'm glad to say I'm back to a fully working wireless network.
Apologies for not posting earlier. The latest project at work took over and and I was working lates and weekends so I just didn't feel like tackling my Router when I got back.

Anyway back to the good news. I phoned TalkTalk support at the weekend, first real chance I had. Despite an unsuccessful attempt when speaking to first line support, I managed to speak to a manager who had a few more tricks up his sleeve and one of them worked.

So if anybody else has problems with their Huawei HG533 where the wireless just doesn't work. You could try the following.

On a laptop, we connected to the router wired.
In Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center we cleared down all known saved networks.
Logged into the Router, in the wireless section we cleared out the network name, and password.
Created a completely new network name and password and changed the channel to 9. Saved these new options
In Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center we manually setup the new network.
Tried IE and everything worked.
Phones and Printers also all connected instantly.

A happy chappy again :smileyvery-happy:

Still don't know what was ultimately the issue, it almost seems like old info was being held and like when you change a password you can't use old passwords on some networks the old names/passwords were just being rejected.

Again many thanks for all tips and support and thanks to the TalkTalk support team.
OCE_Michelle
Topics: 0
Kudos: 553
Solutions: 310
Founder

Thanks for the update :smileyhappy: