Occasional Contributor
rlilewis

D-Link DSL-3780 v1.40t - Virtual Server Ports Glitching Out - Cannot disable SPI

[ Edited ]

I am having a problem with a virtual server port on a D-Link DSL-3780 (firmware 1.40t hardware B1); it keeps glitching out randomly and stops responding. The problem can be fixed by simply deleting the virtual server and recreating it exactly as before. Then some time later in the day it will stop working again.

On the right hand side of the virtual server config page it says I need to disable the firewall SPI, however there is no option to disable SPI on the firewall config (see pic attached).

We found a screenshot of the firewall page of a D-Link DSL-2780 on firmware v1.12 and it clearly has an "Enable SPI" tick box on the firewall page, which this 3780 is missing. Also on the 3780 it says "As opened the SPI, All requests from the WAN side will be rejected", which looks like it was passed through a machine translator because it doesn't make grammatical sense but the jist is; without SPI disabled your virtual server ports aren't going to work correctly.

-----------------------------------
2nd question is: I heard that talk-talk employees update the firmware on our router "remotely". Does that mean to say that a talk-talk employee is physically logging into our router?

Occasional Contributor
peterjl

Re: D-Link DSL-3780 v1.40t - Virtual Server Ports Glitching Out - Cannot disable SPI

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I have 2 accounts and 2 routers, the white D-Link 2780 has a separate box to turn off SPI but nothing on the 3780 version even though the 3780 is supposedly a newer router.

Also, I can upgrade the firmware on the 2780 but not the 3780. I have an IP camera that worked perfectly with the old Linksys router but with the 3780 it first works and then stops, needing to be reset.

I will get around to trying the camera on the 2780 system but that will not be for a few weeks. If you find an answer in the meantime please let me know. This is so frustrating.

Peter

Contributor
trileymill

Re: D-Link DSL-3780 v1.40t - Virtual Server Ports Glitching Out - Cannot disable SPI

[ Edited ]

@rlilewis

Re: Remote access to routers.

Pretty much all routers I've ever had have supported the open standard TR-0696, this is a remote management protocol used to manage end points (i.e. devices installed at customer locations), so it's not really a case of a TalkTalk empoyee logging onto your router, rather than the TalkTalk management platform connecting to your router's management interface and executing system updates etc. This management protocol does not have network access to your side of the router, i.e. your devices on your network, so there's no need for concern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069

Occasional Contributor
peterjl

How does this help me connect my IP camera so I can view it remotely through a dns service?

Occasional Contributor
rlilewis

I'd like to have a response from a talktalk employee on this issue please; at least to acknowledge the problem. As far as I am concerned this firmware may not have been tested properly. There should be an option (apparently) in the firewall section to disable SPI that is not present.

Occasional Contributor
Ackyno1

I'm also having issues with port forwarding (virtual server) i have them setup in the same way as the 2780 but it is tempramental.

i can access the remote box fine after setup . then try again a few days later and it stops working.

i have got port 80 and port 3459 forwarded to my box on 192.168.1.2

when my application doesnt work which uses port 3459 i then try port 80 via web browser and the box interface loads therefore it means i am definately connecting to coreect external ip and that my box is connected and responding to the the web.

i was thinking atleast have a remote login to the router so i can atleast reboot the router which then could be a temp work around. 

Occasional Contributor
rlilewis

So as far as TalkTalk are concerned this isn't a problem? Back to the Fortigate then it looks like...
Occasional Contributor
Ackyno1

heres what it says int he help section of the router

A Virtual Server is defined as service port. All requests to this port of your external IP address are forwarded to a certain internal IP address, e.g. requests via FTP oder POP3.

Disable firewall SPI before use virtual server.

like you said theres no option to disable this, also in the help it says you can enabe remote management which is also missing so i am assuming we need to find an aternative firmware.

when it comes to support from talktalk i think its going to be difficult as it needs to be physically tested by someone who has the time to do it for us

OCE_Michelle
Topics: 4
Kudos: 953
Solutions: 394

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry for the delay in responding. We've already raised this particular issue to our Products Team for investigation and they have asked us to confirm which SIP clients you are trying to use?

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution

Occasional Contributor
Ackyno1

[ Edited ]

OCE_Michelle wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry for the delay in responding. We've already raised this particular issue to our Products Team for investigation and they have asked us to confirm which SIP clients you are trying to use?

Sorry Michele theres been a confusion with "SIP" and "SPI"

we are having issues with SPI to do with port forwarding/virtual servers

the issues seems to be that the firmware seems to have bits missing from it compared to the previous ds 2780 router

Occasional Contributor
rlilewis

As stated in original post, the problem is that the option to disable "SPI" (whatever that is!?), appears to be missing. Thanks
Visitor
fantavision

Totally fed up with this whole talktalk router, I wanted to carry on using my own router, but if I try I cant use the tv features, switched over to the talktalk router, can't forward ports, I have wasted hours on this, the router help says Disable firewall SPI before use virtual server and nowhere in the routers firmware is there a place to disable the firewall SPI.

Router: DSL-3780   Firmware Version :  v1.04t    Hardware version :  B1 

Occasional Contributor
Ackyno1

join the club!!!

fantavision wrote:

Totally fed up with this whole talktalk router, I wanted to carry on using my own router, but if I try I cant use the tv features, switched over to the talktalk router, can't forward ports, I have wasted hours on this, the router help says Disable firewall SPI before use virtual server and nowhere in the routers firmware is there a place to disable the firewall SPI.

Router: DSL-3780   Firmware Version :  v1.04t    Hardware version :  B1 

my ones crash out and have to be re-entered in the virtual servers section to work again. i have same router and firmware. therefore if yours dont work completely then PM me and i will try to help you to get them working tempramentally atleast.

Occasional Contributor
kurtph1969

Hi 

I am having exactly the same issue. Using Virtual Server to port forward my ipwebcam. It would appear that the settings become active once the router has been rebooted. Can anyone else confirm this? Is there a fix for this yet? Thanks

Occasional Contributor
Ackyno1

Sorry no fix yet other then manually deleting and re-adding the port forwards. The worst is you cant even remotely manage this router either in order to do the ports again. You can telnet to it but none of the commands work. Basically this router has been locked down. Today I am reverting to my dsl2780 and if youview doesn't work so be it.

OCE_Michelle
Topics: 4
Kudos: 953
Solutions: 394

Hi,

We have fed this back to our Products Team and as you've advised SPI is not showing in the router interace and this is under investigation. This is also affecting VOIP clients, to help us look into the port forwarding issue further could you please advise the following information.

Port number that you trying to forward

Devices/application that you are trying to forward

Any additional information regarding your set up will also help with our investigation

Occasional Contributor
heather_k

Hello,

I am trying to forward port 3389 from an outside connection to my desktop PC (which has a fixed 192.168.1.100 IP address on the router network).  This is so that I can use Remote Desktop with it.

Port: 3389 to 3389

Application: mstsc.exe (Windows Remote Desktop)

Additional Info: The PC can accept a remote connection OK when I connect from another computer on my home network, using the IP address.  The router log has these entries:

Oct 15 19:54:33  |  ATTACK Detected: SPI attack from WAN (ip:31.120.149.100) detected. Packet dropped.

this leads me to believe that for some reason the firewall is still ON in the router (even though I put the checkbox to "off" in the settings), especially since 31.120.149.100 was the IP address from which I was trying to access the PC.

Interestingly, I was able to port-forward successfully for a day, just after getting this router.  But then it stopped working and no changes of config are helping any more.

Let me know what you find. Thank you.

OCE_Chris
Topics: 1
Kudos: 636
Solutions: 272

[ Edited ]

Hi heather_k

Welcome to the Community

Could you please try resetting your router back to factory default using the reset button on the reverse of the router. You will need to keep the reset button press for at least 10 – 15 seconds until the lights start flashing on the front of the router. Once the router has rebooted you will need to reconfigure your router setting. Could you then try again to setup port forwarding and let us know how you get on

Chris

Occasional Contributor
rlilewis

[ Edited ]

Just to let people know, we have two TalkTalk routers, one for the house (D-Link DSL-3780) and one for the office D-Link DSL-2780). As shown in the original screenshots the 2780 has an option to disable SPI so we switched them around and now using the 2780 at home with SPI disabled; virtual servers appear to be working fine... Are we going to get an updated firmware for the 3780?

** edit: I'm forwarding port 34000 to port 99 to the camera internal IP. As stated above there is no problem on the 2780 when SPI is disabled. Can get to the internal camera IP on port 99 no problem when the issue was occuring on the 3780, just the virtual server port decides to stop responding...

Occasional Contributor
peterjl

Hi Michelle,

I am trying to use a Tenvis jpt3815w IP camera, port forwarding on port 99 but I have tried others as well as 80.

I am now using a DSL-3780 with a virtual server setup and an applications setup for the IP camera. I am trying to access the camera from www.no.ip.biz.

Virtual server

Active    CAM1    PVC1    192.168.1.250 99-99    xxxx-xxxx    TCP   

Applications

Active    ipcamera    99~99    All Protocol    99    All Protocol   

Regards,

Peter