Occasional Contributor
smarkgee

DSL-2680 firmware update

I downloaded a firmware update tool from talktalk yesterday.

it says it IS compatible with the d-link dsl-2680

it downloaded the firmware several times and tried to update the unit and backup etc etc. it seemed to go through the whole process successfully...other than actually changing the firmware!!

yet I remain on firmware v1.08

I assume all the config I had was correct as I just had the working modem/router linked to one pc BY CABLE and the internet only. with a working internet connections.

does this tool actually work for anyone or is my version the latest anyway?
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Re: DSL-2680 firmware update

Are you using Windows? which version?

On Vista/win 7 you have to right click on it and choose 'run as admin' otherwise permissions will be an issue.

Did you also allow the file in your AV software, maybe that is blocking the upgrade?
Contributor
pvmb

Originally Posted by smarkgee
I downloaded a firmware update tool from talktalk yesterday.

it says it IS compatible with the d-link dsl-2680

yet I remain on firmware v1.08

does this tool actually work for anyone or is my version the latest anyway?

No great help, but just to let you know that several months ago I upgraded my DSL-2680 modem from v1.08 to v1.14t using the update tool. So it should work!
Occasional Contributor
smarkgee

Originally Posted by pvmb
No great help, but just to let you know that several months ago I upgraded my DSL-2680 modem from v1.08 to v1.14t using the update tool. So it should work!

thanks

do you know your if ip address was it 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or 10.0.0.1 ? that's the only thing I can think of that made a difference as the process seemed to go all the way through...just without updating the firmware

did it make any difference to the speed? (or anything!)
Occasional Contributor
smarkgee

Originally Posted by fred sheehan
Are you using Windows? which version?

On Vista/win 7 you have to right click on it and choose 'run as admin' otherwise permissions will be an issue.

Did you also allow the file in your AV software, maybe that is blocking the upgrade?

thanks fred

I was logged in as admin ... is that the same thing?
av and win7 not an issue methinks.
Contributor
pvmb

Originally Posted by smarkgee
thanks

do you know your if ip address was it 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or 10.0.0.1 ? that's the only thing I can think of that made a difference as the process seemed to go all the way through...just without updating the firmware

did it make any difference to the speed? (or anything!)

PC address would be 192.168.1.2 and modem 192.168.1.1 I didn't really notice any difference in speed. It just changed the version number and there were some changes to the menus in the modem software, I can't remember exactly what now. Oh, one thing, it returned all the settings to the defaults, so if you had changed DNS, Time servers etc. you had to manually enter them again.
Occasional Contributor
smarkgee

thanks again
ill try the different ip and give it one last shot
OCE_Arne
Topics: 0
Kudos: 672
Solutions: 447

Hi smarkgee

Let us know how you get on, we are not seeing any known issues with the tool.

Thanks

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution