Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

Re: ERROR SearchApp message

Back again tonight at 18:15 hours
Dumped in the recycle bin called Escalated Threads.
Still being Ignored by the OCE,s
Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

Back again at 16:15 hours, also see :-

www.talktalk.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=185939&page=2
#29 and I quote "Spoke to technical support and they did not know about this problem!!
What a joke." posted by oscar33

Back again consistently from 18:15 hours.
Occasional Contributor
TAG
Founder

SearchApp error back all day Monday 21st Nov - words fail me --- and TalkTalk call this a 'service'

TAG
Occasional Contributor
TAG
Founder

Hi Clint - good news at 20:53 hours on Monday 21 Nov i have got into my email system without the dreaded error
Have been trying to get on for the last 2 days without anything happening except the dreaded SearchApp error
I have found out that 'we are not alone' there are over 50 people getting the same error. They are supposed to have fixed the error for another 50 people - - its a pitty we are not one of them.
I continue to pay TalkTalk by direct debit for a service that i (like you) have not been getting. That is presumably getting money by false pretences.
TAG
P.S. i spoke to talktalk customer services about this today and they put the phone down on me again - - this does not help cement relationships with customers who are anoyed with their service.
TAG
Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

More comments from Tech Support. Posted by sparky see:-
www.talktalk.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=187471&page=2
#24 quote "I've just called tech support and they tell me that "everyone is calling about email problems" but that no-one tells them what is going on. The poor guy I spoke to sounded totally demoralized - I imagine that you Forum staff feel the same way."

Back again consistently from 11:30 hours.
Occasional Contributor
TAG
Founder

I have tried agian (unsucessfuly) to contact talktalk about this - i have left several messages on the phone of a person who is dealing with my problems. But she has not answered. The only inferance that can be taken from this is that TalkTalk do not care about its customers.

TAG
OCE_Ady
Topics: 0
Kudos: 597
Solutions: 298
Founder

Hi guys,

we work oldest to newest, every new post moves the thread to the back of the queue.

I have raised this as an incident for the 3 of you who have posted with Tiscali mail accounts. Hopefully, they will find a fix for you.

Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

Hi Ady

Thank you for your reply.

This problem has been ongoing for over 7 months now, we keep getting false promises that it is being looked at and that it will be solved very soon.
Occasional Contributor
TAG
Founder

Yes Ady / Clint - I like you am absolutely fed up with promises of a fix - time and time and time again Talk Talk promise a fix within a few weeks and it never happens. Perhaps this is why people are going to other providers!!!

TAG
Occasional Contributor
TAG
Founder

Hello fellow talktalk members: I have just been in touch with a representative of Talk talk - - - she told me off for speaking loudly to her, But i was (understandsably) upset with the non-service we have all been having. I told her that i am not going away and will continue to speak to her of the problem until they are fixed. I got accused of abusing her - which i was not doing. My complaint is not with her but with talk talk and she just happens to be her representative.

As for the money that we are paying for a service which we do not get - - i have been told that i will get no discount.

They say that email is a 'free' part of a package which we are paying for.

I already have been compensated for things which talktalk has charged me for which i was not told about.

SO TALK TALK CONTINUE TO GIVE A POOR TO NON-EXISTANT SERVICE AND THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO COMPENSATE FOR THE PROBLEMS WE HAVE ALL HAD.

TAG
OCE_Chris
Topics: 1
Kudos: 556
Solutions: 254
Founder

Hi TAG,
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by the email issue. As the representative told you, the email service is a free service and you are at liberty to use one of the other readly available free email sevices if you think it will better fit your needs. Having said that we are reporting the email issues and they are being looked into, sorry again for any inconvenience
Thanks
Chris

Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

More instances of this problem again tonight.
Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

Quote from barney www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72618 in #8
As other members have also been reporting an issue related to a search app error I have moved this topic into a support area so that one of the OCE (forum support staff) can address this.
There is a recently produced TT help page in relation to this issue here: help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answe...43/r_id/113152 but I am not certain if it will be of much use.
End quote.
Why has it taken TalkTalk over seven months to put this on the Help Page?????????
TalkTalk quote.
Issue
We have identified an intermittent problem with TalkTalk webmail where customers are getting one of these errors:
End quote.
Its been myself and others that identified this error over 7 months ago.
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan
Founder

JSP is a server side Java script technology used to interact with a backend database or other server resource.

A 404 means that the script in the webpage is calling for a resource that doesn't exist (or could have been moved and the link has not been updated)

Given that the site has been down for maintenance several weekends in a row now, it looks like a developer has 'broken' a link somewhere, though why it would take months to fix is beyond me.
Super Contributor
marnie
Founder

Originally Posted by fred sheehan
JSP is a server side Java script technology used to interact with a backend database or other server resource.

A 404 means that the script in the webpage is calling for a resource that doesn't exist (or could have been moved and the link has not been updated)

Given that the site has been down for maintenance several weekends in a row now, it looks like a developer has 'broken' a link somewhere, though why it would take months to fix is beyond me.

If you are right about the broken/moved/updated link, then why is it intermittent and why does it not effect everybody? I’m just curious.

Sorry I have not read the whole thread only snippets.

Regards
Should people in glass houses be allowed to throw stones? (or are they sic?)Or is it ok to employ double standards and use selective memory?

If you discover that I am laughing, I apologise. It’s at you, not with you.
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan
Founder

I am not entirely certain it is a broken link (surely that would have been found and fixed already?), not all links are 'hard coded' they are returned on the fly from a query as a result of the client side input, the server will only wait a pre prescribed time before returning a null, so it could just as easily be a dropped data packet between the OP and the server giving the same end result.

(Apache) Tomcat have now moved to version 7, the version in use by that mail server is extremely dated in some respects (at least 3 years old), so it could be a lack of resources causing a failed return, 'server overload' if you like.

Being intermittent this would seem most likely, though is perhaps the hardest to pin down.
Super Contributor
marnie
Founder

Originally Posted by fred sheehan
I am not entirely certain it is a broken link (surely that would have been found and fixed already?), not all links are 'hard coded' they are returned on the fly from a query as a result of the client side input, the server will only wait a pre prescribed time before returning a null, so it could just as easily be a dropped data packet between the OP and the server giving the same end result.

(Apache) Tomcat have now moved to version 7, the version in use by that mail server is extremely dated in some respects (at least 3 years old), so it could be a lack of resources causing a failed return, 'server overload' if you like.

Being intermittent this would seem most likely, though is perhaps the hardest to pin down.

Thanks for the answer, the reason I asked is because whenever people have queried this problem and I have tested I have always been successful, not once have I had a problem.

Regards
Should people in glass houses be allowed to throw stones? (or are they sic?)Or is it ok to employ double standards and use selective memory?

If you discover that I am laughing, I apologise. It’s at you, not with you.
Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

Hi Fred and marnie
I do not know why TalkTalk have included the 404 error in the same Help Page as the SearchApp info. I have never had these come up together. The only time I had this particular 404 error was when I clicked on a link in certain emails and I cured this by subscribing to the same sender via my Yahoo email account. So that would seem to be an error in the TalkTalk email system. I reported this 404 error over 12 months ago to the CEO's office and in phone calls from the TalkTalk Tech Guys who agreed that was so and again gave false promises to get it sorted out.
Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

Error SearchApp back again consistently form 10:20 am onwards.
More instances of this again tonight.
Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

This from talktalk.co.uk/forums

Hi clint

Latest update is that the testing on the patch which should resolve this issue has now completed. Next stage is to get the patch applied to the live systems. Due to the christmas period this process will be delayed as most companies especially IT ones operate a "change freeze" during this period. So further updates on when the patch can be applied are expected in the new year.

Caroline
Technical Support
www.talktalk.co.uk