Occasional Contributor
bluey1

Talktalk router query

Hi all. I'm a new TalkTalk broadband subscriber. I've only had it a month and am on the verge of cancelling the contract becuase it's not serving it's purpose and is just infuriating. The connection drops at least once every day, usually more often. I then have to restart the router, wait a few minutes for it to be up and running and then it's fine for a few hours but inevitably then drops out again a short while later. I can't continue like this so if I can't find a solution then I will cancel. But before I do I wondered if anyone could say if I can simply use an alternative router.

I have been on the phone to the Talk Talk technical people and they did all their checks and there is no fault with the phone line, set up etc. I am fairly technically able so I know it's all set up correctly. And in any event I do get on to teh internet fine for several hours at a time before it drops so it seems clear to me that the router is just useless.

It's just the bog standard Talk Talk Essentials router. I have a BT Home Hub 3 router that I no longer use and so sondered if I could just plug that in instead? Or alternatively are there any oher fairly inexpensive routers that I can buy and use instead of teh Talk Talk router?

Any help gratefully received. Otehrwise i'll bit the bullet and cancel the contract on he basis of TT not providing the service i'm paying for as I can't keep rebooting every single time I want to access the internet and I also don;t fancy another hour long phone call to TT just to establish that the router is simply useless..

Many thanks

Occasional Contributor
bluey1

Re: Talktalk router query

..........sorry. I should probably have added too that this problem of the router connection dropping applies to both wired and wireless connections. The router simply stops having any internet (the internet light on the router goes red). Every single time this is completely resolved by me resetting the router but constantly resetting it is not what i'm looking to do!!! Any help gratefully received

Valued Contributor
Crusher2011

Is it an HG523a or a DSL 3680? If the 523a then you need to use the UI to set it to Always on. The 3680 needs to be set to Idle Time Out to zero. If you need more details post here. There is a firmware update for the 3680. You'll need to register for it via Nathan's post at the top of the list of posts on the Unlimited Broadband section.
Occasional Contributor
bluey1

Thanks so much for the reply. It's hugely appreciated.

Yes, it is the 3680. I'll look up the reference to "Nathan's post' and give that a go. Would you be able to give me some guidance of how to adjust the idle time please.

Thanks again. Really appreciate it

Valued Contributor
Crusher2011

[ Edited ]
Re: D-Link 3680 Wireless problems
Options
on ‎26-08-2013 04:02 PM

I am cutting corners to supply this so hope it is clear, Forgive me mentioning it as you may well have ensured the following has happened. For the firmware update to be applied.1. Your Forum profile setting needs to contain your landline number and 2. the router needs to be switched on permanently and that via the routers UI you go to Advanced, click OK and under ADSL Setup and the section headed PPPOE/PPPOA that Idle Time Out is set to zero. Ensure any changes are saved.
Occasional Contributor
bluey1

Ok. Thanks. I've updated my profile with my landline number but to be able to change the router settings to permanently on, please could you give instructions forgone to enter the UI for the router. Thanks
Valued Contributor
Crusher2011

In the address bar of IE or Firefox etc enter 192.168.1.1 and press enter. Username and Password are both admin
Occasional Contributor
bluey1

I may have resolved my problem (my D Link 3680 router kept dropping connection).

I have worked out that every time i received or made a landline phone call the connection dropped. I have no idea why this is the case as there is a filter attached to the line. Anyway, I replaced the 3680 router with my old spare BT Home Hub 3 and it worked absoliutely fine. I made and received several phone calls to test it and it seemed to work fine without dropping. The test now will be to leave it for a few days and see if this has completely solved the problem.

If so, then it is clear to me that the 3680 router is faulty or is just useless in general.

Valued Contributor
Crusher2011

[ Edited ]
A real detective on the case! Is your land line hand set hard wired or is the type with a wireless base unit so that you can wander around with the phone. If it is wireless how near is the base unit to the router? Can you try screening the router from the phone base in some way or at least increase the distance between the two. Does this improve matters at all? There have been other reports about a range of routers cutting out when the phone is in use. It is not the sort of issue trailist tend to investigate when field testing routers. I hope that one of the OCEs will pick this issue up. For your part can you ensure that there are filters fitted whereever there is a device connected to a phone socket in your home. You may be asked if you require an engineer visit. Provided the fault is between the box where the line comes in to your property and the exchange there should be no charge. If a fault is found on your side of the box then there could be a charge. I don't know the details of the BT Home Hub 3 but it seems to have ruled out many possible causes and points to one reason.
Occasional Contributor
bluey1

Hi. Thanks for the reply. 

The landline phone handset is connected to the same phone socket & filter as the router via a cable. But there are 2 additional handsets which are connected to that phone base unit wirelessly. There is only 1 phone socket in the house so this is the one that the phone & router are plugged into. The phone base unit is right next to the router but it has to be really becuase the cables both need to go into the socket.

As the BT Home Hub seems to be working fine even when a phone call is made then I can't imagine that there is any fault with the phone socket or line. I'm going to give the Home Hub a few days to see if the error (or any other error) returns. If this has solved it then I will just leave it becuase I just want a working broadband system. But if it does recur then I will need to probably get an engineer out 

Valued Contributor
Crusher2011

bluey1, Realise you are prepared to press on with the BT Home Hub 3 but found this case interesting and might be worth you following up. http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Unlimited-Broadband/Any-phone-activity-causes-broadband-to-drop-o...

OCE_Michelle
Topics: 4
Kudos: 888
Solutions: 354

Hi bluey1,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you update your forum profile to include your name and we can send you a replacement router for testing purposes. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add your details.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution

Community Star
jbuchanangb

PMFJI

I'm absolutely sure your BT Home Hub will continue to work fine. I have been with TalkTalk since the Tiscali days, and never used any router supplied by them. Still don't.

In the unfortunate situation where you may have to call their technical support, (if the broadband was down for instance) however, you will need to unpack the TalkTalk router from wherever you've stashed it, because the technical support team work from scripts which only fit their own routers!

John

surfing the net from my trusty Laptop.
http://www.toshiba-europe.com/computers/products/notebooks/satellitepro4600/techspecs_5.htm
OCE_Debbie
Topics: 1
Kudos: 838
Solutions: 367

Hi bluey1,

Please can you also update your forum profile to include your name, please bump this thread to advise once this has been updated.

Thanks

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution