OCE_Mark
Topics: 10
Kudos: 1,017
Solutions: 520

Re: Why is Imgur content painfully slow to download?

HI Tom,

Not as of yet, ive raised it to be looked into, im still waiting on a reply.

In the meantime there are other suggestions in this thread

Cheers

:smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
Zulef

I'm also having this issue, it appears that the filter is not just applied to affected subdomains but the whole site imgur.com takes around 3 minutes to load on a fibre connection. Which is pretty ridiculous.

Occasional Contributor
Gezzz

My sincere apologies OCE_Mark 

The intention wasn't to have a pop at you personally. It seems that cynisism has taken over from optimism after many years of having to contact support staff from many different companies but that doesn't excuse my rudeness. I shall try to curb my frustration in future and keep an open mind. 

OCE_Mark
Topics: 10
Kudos: 1,017
Solutions: 520

HI Gezzz,

Dont worry i dont take it personally, i wouldnt still be here after many years if i did :smileyhappy:

@Zulef - i agree and thats what im querying wiht the relevant teams at the moment :smileyhappy:

Cheers

Occasional Contributor
Gezzz

Another workaround I just found is to use Open VPN with hot spot shield vpn settings (all free - just google "Open VPN client" and "Hot Spot Shield VPN". For some reason imgur seems to load far quicker than it ever did even when I was with BT - it is blazingly fast. I'm using the Hot Spot Shield UK specific settings and web surfing in general seems to have got much quicker. Hope this helps som others that are having this problem. I'm a reddit addict so imgur is essential to feed my habit. 

Occasional Contributor
Gezzz

Sorry - my bad - I didn't use Hot Spot Shield after all - I used VPN Book. Hot Spot Shield is ad supported and I had trouble downloading it so I went with the Open VPN client and VPN Book UK server certificate bundle. 

It works, but it's a faff having to log in and it would be better if talk talk got the issue sorted. 

Occasional Contributor
thebritishbloke

I knew this wasn't just me! I spend a hell of a lot of time on reddit, which as many of you may know, imgur is the main source of uploaded images. It's ridiculous that TalkTalk is doing this, there are threads on this forum of the OCE's "letting the relevant departments know" months ago, and nothing's come from it. I've only just signed up to TalkTalk but this may genuinely make me cancel already.

OCE_Mark, you've said that they're blocking relevant subdomains, I hope that you mean specific URL's (i.e. http://i.imgur.com/abcdef.jpg), not subdomains (i.e. http://i.imgur.com)? I can understand blocking illegal content, but that should mean blocking the direct image URL, not throttling traffic from the entire domain when it's one of the most popular websites in the world.

This better not just get brushed under the table, because this is the most irritating thing that TalkTalk could do.

Other threads:

Overclockers post - October 2013

TalkTalk Forums - October/November 2013

More TalkTalk - Today

Please sort this within the next few days, this is a make or break for me, if it can't be sorted then I'll have to go elsewhere, as I'm sure some other people will.

Occasional Contributor
listerdude

I have only recently joined Talktalk to reduce my costs. I am happy with most if the service but this filtering of certain sites is really annoying . I'm a heavy reddit user and as you all know reddits main image source is imgur. Browsing reddit has become a pain in the backside since joining Talktalk. I will not be continuing my sub beyond once the year is over unless they sort out this problem.

Occasional Contributor
tomloaf

listerdude wrote:

I have only recently joined Talktalk to reduce my costs. I am happy with most if the service but this filtering of certain sites is really annoying . I'm a heavy reddit user and as you all know reddits main image source is imgur. Browsing reddit has become a pain in the backside since joining Talktalk. I will not be continuing my sub beyond once the year is over unless they sort out this problem.

I am exactly the same. Very disappointing

New Contributor
amfxc

I'm having the exact same issue here for couple of months now. I can't believe TalkTalk would agree to such a thing. It has severly hindered my internet expierence since I use imgur daily. I hope this is credible cause to cancel my TalkTalk contract early without paying a early termination fee. 

Occasional Contributor
thebritishbloke

Just so everybody knows, you can actually cancel your contracts now without any termination fees if you want to. This is because TalkTalk have just announced they're going to raise their prices on the 1st May.

New Contributor
amfxc

It is absolutely ridicules that all all they have to say about this is that they "have to comply with their ruling" when no other ISP is doing the same. This is definitely a type of monitoring AND throttling of their customers speed which is downright wrong. I will do my absolute best to try and alert different media outlets about this and spread the word online. 

Regular Visitor
RedditUser

I've just signed up specifically to complain about this issue.

This has been going on for months now. Not good enough!

Please get it sorted.

New Contributor
PrimroseCottage

Hi, 

I'm also having troube accessing imgur. 

Is this going to be fixed soon? It's ridiculous that this happens every few months with TalkTalk.. I'm seriously thinking about leaving to a company that values its customers.

Regards, 

New Contributor
theei

Here; I took a screencap to show you just how bad it is for us.

Please do something!

Frequent Visitor
Ashie

Hi all

Also having this problem. I am a reddit junkie and it's so painfully slow. I just moved to TalkTalk on the 25th of this month, and needless to say I'm starting to regret it already. Please sort this problem. What's the point of having fast internet when you can't even use Reddit properly? 

Frequent Contributor
Narzal

I too am having this issue and also being a Reddit addict this creates a huge problem for me.

It's been going on for way too long now.

Contributor
Antagony

The number of 'Me too!' comments this thread is attracting just goes to show the extent of this problem; and I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. I must admit when I first posted this thread I was also tempted to post a request for support from fellow TalkTalk users sufferers on reddit's United Kingdom sub, but decided against it in the end. It's probably a good job I didn't, or else this forum might have ended up getting swamped!

-Ant
Frequent Contributor
Narzal

Antagony wrote:

The number of 'Me too!' comments this thread is attracting just goes to show the extent of this problem; and I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. I must admit when I first posted this thread I was also tempted to post a request for support from fellow TalkTalk users sufferers on reddit's United Kingdom sub, but decided against it in the end. It's probably a good job I didn't, or else this forum might have ended up getting swamped!

Seems someone posted this thread on Reddit already. This will be interesting!

Occasional Contributor
thebritishbloke

[ Edited ]