Occasional Contributor
metthusilah

imgur

Is anybody else having issues connecting to Imgur.com? Seems I can only connect through a proxy for the last while.

New Contributor
bv90andy

Re: imgur

[ Edited ]

i'm having the exact same problem. Works fine from my mobile internet (three) but not through talktalk. I can't even ping it. it times out.

edit: I forgot to add that I tried rebooting my router, tried from different devices and tried changing my dns.

Occasional Contributor
heavywater

[ Edited ]

It's flagged by the IWF at the moment so all the traffic is filtering through very slow servers. Obviously someone has uploaded something dodgy so the whole site has been nuked.

Hope it gets sorted sooner rather than later.

Community Star
anker

Looks like they are having problems http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/imgur

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today

I have Just screwed up once again

New Contributor
scottg299

I'm having problems with Imgur too. Works fine on my mobile though (through 3G) and none of my friends (not on TalkTalk) are having issues.

Occasional Contributor
metthusilah

Seems to be working again today.

Occasional Contributor
heavywater

Sorry for the bump but imgur has been extremely slow for the last 3 days for me, I haven't read anything about it elsewhere though. Anybody on here having any issues at the moment?

Occasional Contributor
illshouyu

This has been going on for far too long.

Everything is hosted on imgur these days. I literally cannot accept half the links I see because my connection bombs from looking at the site. It's unacceptable.

OCE_Karl
Topics: 5
Kudos: 1,206
Solutions: 504

Hi, 

Apologies for this, however if some links are flagged by IWF, then it will be blocked by them, and we have to comply with their ruling.

Thanks

Karl

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution

OCE_Karl
Topics: 5
Kudos: 1,206
Solutions: 504

Hi, 

Apologies for this, however if some links are flagged by IWF, then it will be blocked by them, and we have to comply with their ruling.

Thanks

Karl

Occasional Contributor
illshouyu

I have sent off a complaint to them because of how absurd that is.

Do you not realise how absurd it is?

You're allowing them to make you blanket-ban a site which hosts probably billions of harmless images, of which some are disagreeable.

It is not a site for sexual abuse of children, it's a massive community for harmless creativity, and I can't believe you wouldn't ignore their stupidity in cases like this.

New Contributor
scottg299

I can understand blocking the small handful of harmful links which the IWF reports, but that shouldn't slow down the whole site. After all, we can still access Imgur, so it's not an issue with it being blocked outright. The issue is that it is loading disproportionately slowly compared to other sites, and compared to other internet providers.

Occasional Contributor
illshouyu

Dear Complainant,

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to access legitimate parts of the imgur.com website.

IWF does not itself block websites but does provide a list of URLs for Internet companies and organisations to facilitate URL blocking (not IP address or domain level blocking). This ensures that only the exact URLs containing the criminal content are blocked. Please bear in mind that the blocking solutions are owned and operated by the IWF URL licensees (the organisations which take the list) and are not under the direct control of the IWF. Please can I direct you to the IWF website page http://www.iwf.org.uk/services/blocking that explains more regarding the IWF URL list.

With regards to imgur.com we do action specific URLs from time to time on this site, but it is never at the domain level and there is no reason why you should not be able to access legitimate parts of the website based on the urls provided to ISP's by the IWF. Currently there are 15 imgur URLs on the list which all relate to specific images of child sexual abuse images and these are all actioned at image(.jpg) level therefore there should be no issue in accessing any other images on the site.

Please contact your ISP if you continue to have problems in accessing the site. It is unfortunate that occasionally some customer service or support staff at an ISP can misdirect customers to the IWF in relation to these issues.

I hope this has helped however please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions.

Regards,

Hotline Manager
Internet Watch Foundation
Suite 7310, First Floor
Cambridge Research Park, Waterbeach
Cambridge
CB25 9TN

w: www.iwf.org.uk
t: (+44) 1223 203030

Well there you go, TalkTalk, you can now fix this.

Many thanks.

OCE_Mark
Topics: 10
Kudos: 846
Solutions: 426

Hi

The issues the site are due to the application of our blocking of the IWF list of URLs that contain child abuse imagery, and we know that this is resulting in some users having issues accessing the site. We apologise for any inconvenience this is causing and our networks team are working on a solution. Unfortunately at this time we cannot provide a date for this but we will keep you updated as and when we have more information

Cheers

:smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
illshouyu

So for a week or so I could actually view the site fine, but now it's back to being inaccesible.

Occasional Contributor
heavywater

Yeah, this is really getting on my nerves now. A site with tens of millions of users has been pretty much unusable for a month again. I was hoping this had been fixed after it went away the last two times.

OCE_Emma
Topics: 3
Kudos: 538
Solutions: 290

Hi guys,

As we've explained, this is due to the site being listed by the IWF.   As we are associated with the IWF any sites reported as containing inappropriate material will be blocked over a TalkTalk connection.

Cheers

Occasional Contributor
illshouyu

What an enlightening update. It's almost as if we haven't established the real issue already!

Occasional Contributor
heavywater

Several people have contacted the IWF and they have confirmed that you're not supposed to be using domain level blocking, it's supposed to be image level only.

Out of interest, if someone uploaded "inappropriate material" to Facebook that was then flagged by the IWF, would you use domain level filtering on facebook.com and make the site nearly unusable for months at a time?

Occasional Contributor
listerdude

The site has not been listed by the IWF. There are a few images on that site that have been listed. You should be blocking just the urls for those images not the whole site!