Contributor
crmpicco
Founder

new Huawei 533 router turns "internet" light red

My new TalkTalk Huawei 533 router arrived today and I set it up seemingly with no problems. I tried my Wii, phone and laptop through it and it worked fine wirelessly.

Then about 30 minutes later I noticed the "Internet" light, which is the third from the left went red. Ever since then the light has been red solid and no mater how much I turn it off, change the ADSL filter for a new one, do a reset at the back or a "restore to factory settings" it has no effect.

I can plug my old Netgear router back in and it works, so it's clearly the router but I have no idea why or how to remedy it.

How can I go about troubleshooting this? Is there something I can do to resolve this?
Contributor
Modelman
Founder

Re: new Huawei 533 router turns "internet" light red

I've just sent a HG532 back to TT with the same problem. The router ran for many months before the internet light went red. There it stayed with not internet connectivity. The router still connected to my pc through wifi and I was able to change settings just no internet.
The only logical explanation I could find was the HG532 was running quite hot and I'm wondering if something was breaking down over time causing a heat related issue. I did leave the device on 24/7 however was told this is normnal practise as the routers are designed for this.
This however does not account for your failure in 30 mins.
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan
Founder

It is possible that you have a faulty unit, they are mass produced so you could be unlucky, however before you do that, check the router is set to 'always on' (they are set to time out after 30 mins of inactivity)

Open a web browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, then press enter
Type "admin" for the username and password (case sensitive) and press OK
Click on advanced in the left hand side menu
Click on OK to the advance user warning
Click on "Basic" in the left hand side menu then WAN
In the main window go down to "Connection Trigger" and select "Always On" from the drop down menu
Click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen to save settings.

If that doesn't sort it, then try a hard reset, use the reset hole with a paperclip press and hold that button for 10 seconds to fully reset the router.

You may have to enter the router settings again afterwards;

Username: Your telephone number@talktalk.net, for example 01234567891@talktalk.net*
Password: Your TalkTalk broadband password*
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
MTU: 1432
DNS settings: Set to obtain automatically (or equivalent)
Encapsulation: PPP over ATM (PPPoA) using VC-MUX
Modulation Type: Auto

*We sent your TalkTalk broadband username and password to you in a letter when you joined TalkTalk. If you can't find this letter or can't remember your details, please call our automated password retrieval on 0870 0875 562 at any time FOR FREE from your TalkTalk home phone line or change your password in My Account here;

myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/accountdetails/Editaccountdetails/getaccountdetails#bbpwd

You can use any name/password you want to for the wireless network, this can be changed in the first menu you accessed earlier via 192.168.1.1

Let us know if this has helped
Contributor
crmpicco
Founder

Thanks for the replies. I tried calling TT late last night, but got through to them this morning at 9am sharp.

Their support line ran through the checks including a router hard reset, but they ended up advising that they'd need to send another router out as the one I have is likely faulty. So it looks like I'll have to wait another week to find out if my original reason for changing routers (VPN dropped connection) is fixed.
OCE_Michelle
Topics: 2
Kudos: 800
Solutions: 350
Founder

Hi crmpicco,

Please let us know how you get on with the replacement router.

Contributor
crmpicco
Founder

Originally Posted by OCE_Michelle
Hi crmpicco,

Please let us know how you get on with the replacement router.

I received my replacement Huawei 533 router today and go it installed and setup and running about 6.30pm tonight. I've had it on and downloading since then to keep the line active for testing.

I can report that all is going well so far, so hopefully the light stays green and this router isn't faulty like the last one. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
jr20089v2x2x
Founder

Originally Posted by crmpicco
I received my replacement Huawei 533 router today and go it installed and setup and running about 6.30pm tonight. I've had it on and downloading since then to keep the line active for testing.

I can report that all is going well so far, so hopefully the light stays green and this router isn't faulty like the last one. :smileywink:

hi crmpicco make sure u set the router to always on as per fred's instructions

that way it should always remain green and not go red again unless u lose sync
Packard Bell EasyNote TJ65
Windows 8 Pro X64 With Media Center
8GB DDR2 Ram
500GB WD HDD
Sony Optiarc DVD/RW
Contributor
crmpicco
Founder

Originally Posted by jr20089v2x2x
hi crmpicco make sure u set the router to always on as per fred's instructions

that way it should always remain green and not go red again unless u lose sync

Thanks for this, I have just updated the setting.

Thanks for the advice, Fred!
Occasional Contributor
DoctorG
Founder

Originally Posted by fred sheehan
It is possible that you have a faulty unit, they are mass produced so you could be unlucky, however before you do that, check the router is set to 'always on' (they are set to time out after 30 mins of inactivity)

Open a web browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, then press enter
Type "admin" for the username and password (case sensitive) and press OK
Click on advanced in the left hand side menu
Click on OK to the advance user warning
Click on "Basic" in the left hand side menu then WAN
In the main window go down to "Connection Trigger" and select "Always On" from the drop down menu
Click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen to save settings.

If that doesn't sort it, then try a hard reset, use the reset hole with a paperclip press and hold that button for 10 seconds to fully reset the router.

You may have to enter the router settings again afterwards;

Username: Your telephone number@talktalk.net, for example 01234567891@talktalk.net*
Password: Your TalkTalk broadband password*
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
MTU: 1432
DNS settings: Set to obtain automatically (or equivalent)
Encapsulation: PPP over ATM (PPPoA) using VC-MUX
Modulation Type: Auto

*We sent your TalkTalk broadband username and password to you in a letter when you joined TalkTalk. If you can't find this letter or can't remember your details, please call our automated password retrieval on 0870 0875 562 at any time FOR FREE from your TalkTalk home phone line or change your password in My Account here;

myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/accountdetails/Editaccountdetails/getaccountdetails#bbpwd

You can use any name/password you want to for the wireless network, this can be changed in the first menu you accessed earlier via 192.168.1.1

Let us know if this has helped

I too noticed the internet light being red in the morning. When this happens my youview box gets very confused; all ondemand functions fail, the TV guide is a blank screen. Even after getting the internet going (by using the internet on my laptop) the youview box still refuses to work properly until I reset the box.

Will change the modem settings to always on; thanks for the info on this. However, there is a software bug in the TalkTalk youview box, regarding losing the internet. It should be able to recover from the internet going down (which will happen from time to time).

DoctorG
OCE_Michelle
Founder

Hi crmpicco,

How are you getting on? :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
DoctorG
Founder

Originally Posted by DoctorG
I too noticed the internet light being red in the morning. When this happens my youview box gets very confused; all ondemand functions fail, the TV guide is a blank screen. Even after getting the internet going (by using the internet on my laptop) the youview box still refuses to work properly until I reset the box.

Will change the modem settings to always on; thanks for the info on this. However, there is a software bug in the TalkTalk youview box, regarding losing the internet. It should be able to recover from the internet going down (which will happen from time to time).

DoctorG

This is exactly my situation. The router was set to turn the internet on/off on demand, so overnight the internet light goes red.

Can not understand why TalkTalk provide a router with a default setting that will cause the youview box to constantly fail. Very poor indeed.

It is 2 days since I changed the router setting to 'always on', and I have not had to reset the youview box once. Great.
Super Contributor
unicorn77
Founder

DocG, my youview box behaves fine on loss of internet. Of course, you lose catch-up / on-demand type stuff, but the guide shows up OK and live TV is accessible. On re-connection to the internet everything comes back fine.

But I do have a different modem in use.

It's likely that, if you want to persue your issue, the OCE's will need you to raise a new topic.
OCE_Michelle
Founder

Hi crmpicco,

How are you getting on?

Contributor
crmpicco
Founder

I received my new Huawei 533 router and it has been working fine since day one, and that's about 7-10 days since I installed it.
So i'm happy to report that the replacement router works well, the previous one must have just been faulty. :smileysad:
I should point out that I didn't need to change any settings during installation either.
OCE_Arne
Topics: 0
Kudos: 541
Solutions: 392
Founder

Hi

Thank you for the update, glad everything is working fine.

Kind Regards

Super Contributor
petera
Founder

Thank you, Fred Sheehan, for very helpful instructions for adjusting the Huawei 533 router. I have followed them and so far the red light has not reappeared.

Is there any reason why the router is not sent out set to "always on"?

Petera

OCE_Michelle
Founder

Hi petera,

This is a business decision, the router will automatically disconnect when not in use and should automatically reconnect when required.

Super Contributor
petera
Founder

Thanks very much Michelle for your reply.

Unfortunately my router does not seem to reconnect when required and has to be restarted to reach the internet. It is therefore particularly useful if it is "always on".

Petera

OCE_Michelle
Founder

Hi 

I'm sorry to hear this. Is your connection ok at the moment?

Super Contributor
petera
Founder

Thanks for your reply.

The router has been fine and has not diconnected for several days since the setting has been altered to "always on". On the original settings it would disconnect from the internet if not used (which I assume it is intended to) but would not reconnect without turning the router off and turning it on again.

Howver, everything is fine set to "always on".

Petere