Occasional Contributor
jeannie

no wireless connection

my laptop has stopped reconising my wireless connection.i have a echolife hg520s. it picks up my neighbours wireless connections ok so its not the wireless adapter i dont think. the router works fine with my other wireless laptop. the only way i can connect this laptop is by using my ethernet cable. I am at a loss what to do can someone help me please thanks
Super Contributor
barney

Re: no wireless connection

Occasional Contributor
jeannie

the operating system is windows vista
Super Contributor
barney

ok - could you please open the "open network and sharing center" in "control panel" on your start menu.

Then please run the diagnostic tool and report what it says.
Occasional Contributor
jeannie

it said there were no problems with my connection
Super Contributor
barney

ok - do you not see your wireless connection at all when you click on the wireless logo on your task bar?
Occasional Contributor
jeannie

no it shows other wireless connections in the area but not my talktalk connection. the router is working wirelessly with my other lap top though
Super Contributor
barney

go back into the "open network and sharing center" and click on "set up a new connection or network" and then "connect to the internt" and follow the instructions.
Occasional Contributor
jeannie

i tried this but it justs directs me to the other wireless connections. ive just realised i am connected by the ethernet cable so i am going to disconnect this and try again to start a new connection. i will find my other pc and come back online with that while i try to connect with this thanks for your help so far.
Super Contributor
barney

Occasional Contributor
jeannie

thankyou i do appreciate it
Occasional Contributor
jeannie

when i try to set up a new connection it gets to the box showing the other wireless connections that it is picking up execpt mine. i cant get passed this boxi cant understand why it is not seeing talktalk I am online now wirelessly to you through my other pc so the router is working ok if i find my old disk that i got when i joined talktalk would going through that again helpme
Super Contributor
barney

If you reinstall using the disk it will chasnge the wireless name and security key for the router. In itslef this is not a problem because the installation process will place a document on your desktop named "talktalk settings" - this gives the name and security key which you can then use to connect your other laptop
Occasional Contributor
jeannie

I dont really want to do that unless i have to I can connect via the ethernet but i just cant understand why it has suddenly stopped seeing my wireless connection when it picks up others further away
Super Contributor
barney

Jeannie - I've just had another thought (multitasking is not a male forte)!

Could you open your start menu and type in "manage wireless networks" and then click on the program - this should then show you any preferred wireless connections you have used in the past.

If your connection isn't shown in this list, then I'm afraid you may have to do a reinstall.
Occasional Contributor
jeannie

done that it shows my talktalk connection is this good news?
Super Contributor
barney

hopefully! Can you right click on it and bring up "properties"?

If so make sure it is setg to connect automatically.
Occasional Contributor
jeannie

it is the only connection in the list but i still cant get it to connect
Super Contributor
barney

The next thing you can try (assuming you can right click that connection and see the properties) is to go into the properties and write down all the parameters shown for both tabs (connection and security).

You can then remove the original wireless connection and then select add using all the parameters exactly as you have written them down.

This may work.
Occasional Contributor
jeannie

i think i will leave that untill tomorrow I am tired now and think i need to be wide awake to try this maybe tomorrow i will switch it on and it will work i,m not holding out much hope though ! tbank you very much for your help barney I wish i knew as much as you do about these things. pcs are great untill things go wrong its great that people are willing to help each other thanks again. hope have good news tomorrow thanks again