Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

£4 increase for TV? Are you kidding me?

20 REPLIES 20
Glauco
Team Player

I renew my contract (including TV!) for 18 months, and a few weeks later you change the price, and not just by a pound or two, but by £4?

And to add insult to injury, you send us one of your really misleading and confusing emails trying to make it sound like a positive thing!

"To keep bringing you these benefits" - what benefits? I have a basic package with the same channels you get on any smart TV or set-top box - FOR FREE! What exactly am I paying you £4 a month for?

How are you justifying this increase? Changing price mid-contract is either illegal or at least deeply unethical, in ether case I fully intend to report this to Ofcom. I urge everyone else here to do the same. Oh, and I am switching to another provider as soon as my contract ends. You have taken me for the very last ride TalkTalk, enough is enough!

ferguson
Community Star

First of all I have removed the foul language from your post, there is no need for it and it is an obvious breach of the community guidelines.

The £4 TalkTalk TV fee is not linked to your contract. If you do not wish to pay it and forego access to TalkTalk TV services then you simply have to contact customer services and they will arrange that for you.

Glauco
Team Player

There was no foul language, I deliberately censured the word you are referring to with asterisks, as you well know.

How exactly is the fee not linked to my contract? When I signed up to renew, I was quoted a certain price INCLUDING TV services, so of course I expect to keep my V service and I should not be expected to pay more for it.

All I am asking is to be given what I agreed to, at the price I agreed to. I don't think I am being unreasonable and I think Ofcom will back customers up on this.

ferguson
Community Star

Your TV box will continue to operate as a PVR and you will retain access to on demand players from third-parties such as the BBC, Netflix etc. The £4 fee covers access to TalkTalk TV Boosts and the rent/buy service available via More TV. And as I already said you can cancel that if you do not wish to have access to those services. So unless I am misunderstanding you, what is the problem?

Glauco
Team Player

In that case my problem is not one, but three:

1. Nowhere in the email I received does it explain what you just told me, i.e. "The £4 fee covers access to TalkTalk TV Boosts and the rent/buy service available via More TV". It just says "From 11th February 2019 TalkTalk TV will cost £4 a month" so I don't think I am the only customer who will be confused by the email. Why not explain it properly?

2. The "Opt out" option is in very small print at the end of the email. Clearly TT are not exactly keen to highlight it, but I think this is really underhand.

3. I should not have to "opt out" of a price increase, it shouldn't be added to my bill unless I "opt in".

martswain
Philosopher
ALL boosts are subject to change and have been since the introduction of FIXED PRICE BROADBAND contracts.
Martin
Glauco
Team Player

But I don't have any boosts, I am on Essential TV with just freeview channels and on demand players like iPlayers. Why should I pay £4 for that?

ferguson
Community Star

@Glauco Well now you know, well done for reading the small print. My posts and those on numerous other threads on the subject are in large print. 😉

I understand the confusion around this, I have been on a learning curve myself. But I find it best to check all the information out there before going off on one. 

ferguson
Community Star

@Glauco wrote:

But I don't have any boosts, I am on Essential TV with just freeview channels and on demand players like iPlayers. Why should I pay £4 for that?

You don't have to, as I hope we have now established. And from the price you mentioned I doubt you are on Essentials TV which is a long gone legacy package.

Glauco
Team Player

Sorry my bad, I am on "TV, Broadband & Calls" whatever that means. All I know is, I don't have any TV boosts.

By the way, just tried to opt out of the £4 fee and the agent on chat didn't even know if I can still use the YouView box to pause live TV and access BBC iPlayer after I opt out.

"As of this time, we do not have exact details for this concern. However, this has been raised already to get this updated as soon as possible."

Absolute joke. They roll out a price change without giving their reps the correct information.

I go "How will I be updated?"

Reply: "This will be posted on TalkTalk Community section."

Give me a break.

ferguson
Community Star

Yeah, well there have been issues with front line staff around this apparently and that I agree is poor.  But rest assured all the information I have given you is correct and verified by the community management. 

i have flagged this up in light of your chat experience, don't be surprised if one of the team here come back to you on this.

Glauco
Team Player

Ok thanks, in that case I'll go ahead with the opt-out. I would have preferred to have it confirmed by the agent that was processing the cancellation, then have the chat transcript forwarded in an email, as is my custom (call me old-fashioned but I like things in "black and white"). Just in case of any problems and also for myself to remember what was said.

But I'll trust your information and opt out now before I get charged anything. I know it's just £4, but it would really annoy me!

ferguson
Community Star

I agree with you about chat, I prefer that record myself. You can try again and may get a better briefed agent and you can of course refer them here if that might help. But you do have to be proactive in cancelling.

Glauco
Team Player

Indeed, the second agent seemed a bit more sure of herself.

Agent: "So you don't have any TV boosts?"

Me: "No"

Agent: "Rest assured that you will not incur the £4 charge".

Now, I don't know if that means she opted me out of the charge, or that I was never going to be charged anyway because I don't have any boosts. Either way, I now have it confirmed (even though I haven't yet received the chat transcript I asked for).

Community Team

Hi Glauco

I once the  request to opt out is processed you wont get charged the £4 and eventually the access to TalkTalk TV will be removed.

Just to Clarify the situation, as there has no doubt been some confusion, (me included)  All customers regardless if you have boosts or not, that have TV active on their account  will be charged £4

Sorry for any confusion caused.

Glauco
Team Player

Ok, so now I am not sure if the agent I chatted to actually opted me out of the £4 charge, or if she was just misinformed. Here is the complete transcript:

Glauco: Hi, I want to opt-out of the TV service that is going to cost me £4 more every month.
Princess: I understand that you are enquiring about the new TV charge, I will certainly advise.
Princess: If I may ask, do you make use of the TV services?
Glauco: Just the free channels.
Glauco: Are you still there?
Princess: Sorry for the delay.
Princess: So you do not have any TV boosts.
Glauco: No
Princess: Thank you. Rest assured, you will not incur the £4.00 TV charge.
Glauco: Ok thanks, that's all I wanted to know.
Princess: You are most welcome. Just to recap, you came on chat with regards to the TV charge. I have assisted you.

I just want to make sure that all your queries are answered whilst I have you online. Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Glauco: Yes thanks
Glauco: Sorry no, nothing else

So that was it. What should I do? I don't think the agent actually did anything, I think she (wrongly) assumed that because I don't have any boosts, I won't get charged. Should I open a new chat and go through it all again? I am now thinking I will just keep talking to people who don't know how the new charges work. Why not let us opt out ourselves via My Account and give us a link to THAT instead of asking us to chat to confused agents?

Community Manager

Hey @Glauco,

It's difficult to say from the transcript as she may have processed the required change however she doesn't appear to have asked for any details like your phone or account number and if not then i don't see how she could have removed the fee. 

For this, I'm very sorry however rest assured we'll get this sorted for you, i need you to answer some questions before i take a look at your account so I'll send you a PM now and then I'll get this sorted for you. 

Thanks 

pete 1
Participant
The first I heard about the £4 was when I got my bill yesterday, phoned Talktalk and they promised to refund / adjust my next bill. I never received an email about the £4 rise. Just when I thought that I could recommend Talktalk again they pull a money grabbing stunt like this. The last problem that I had with Talktalk was them cancelling my mobile sim part way through the contract. On the plus side I cannot fault my broadband connection, but it took a few years to get it right.
Community Team

Hi @pete 1

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

pete 1
Participant
thanks for the reply, I just wanted to agree with the original poster, I hope your advisor has sorted my problem.
you have millions of customers that this rise will effect, so expect plenty of complaints.