Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Emails older than 2 months missing from inbox

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Chatterbox

I have gone into my emails online to look for an old one and cant see any emails since before 1 sept 2019. this is around the time i was told my email was being updated to the new app.

my sent items are all there, and some in a folder. 

how can this be fixed as i need to download them before my email account is deleted by talktalk in a few weeks time.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff
Highlighted
Chatterbox
Hi. Yes they're not on webmail.
Highlighted

Hi Gareth4, have you searched in all folders to make sure the mails haven't been sorted into other folders? When you do a search after the text box change inbox to all folders. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Yes! I have done all the obvious things. They are not there.

I have been onto TTs tech team by phone and they are reluctantly looking at it. 

The service has been terrible. At first i was told ' sorry theyre not on the server so we cant find them' but they also agreed they were probably lost on the mail upgrade by talktalk given that happened around that time!. I explained that i wasn't accepting that, and TT could not simply lose 2 years of emails and expect me to go away.

Anyway, when i wouldnt go away and accept they had been lost, they have now referred it to a team in manchester to look at and apparently they are going to find the backup copy from before my mail was upgraded and restore them. 

i cannot believe how poor the service has been to resolve this. I just hope they can find them, or an official complaint will be coming TTs way and i will be on the phone until they are found. You cannot lose peoples emails doing an upgrade at your end and just expect them to accept it.

Highlighted

As we don't do mail backup if the mails aren't in your mailbox then it's unlikely you'll see them again. The reason I asked about searching using ALL FOLDERS is that many customers found that the mails had been dropped from the former directory and were in generic folders in the mailbox. 

If you use a mail client with POP settings the email admins will bounce any tickets we raise straight back quoting that you do that and that your mailbox will have downloaded all the mails to your device, which to be fair to them is most often what's happened. If you've only used webmail or IMAP settings then they are able to see that too and will reply appropriately. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chatterbox
I dont see your point and your answer is at total odds with what the tech team advised me on the phone as they agree it is likely to do with the upgrade given I dont use pop3 and was on holiday in the week upto and inc when the emails are now missing to. So they are looking at the migrated data to look for the missing inbox which presumably has not been copied when all other folders were.

I do t see the point in this board to be honest if it takes a day for someone to reply and when they do they then trot out the usual 'oh well'

In sure the information commissioner and press would be interested in how lightly talktalk appear to take loss of peoples personal data.
Highlighted

Hi Gareth4, I can't tell you why frontline have told you what they have, but I've been working on Email specifically for over 6 years and have been involved in the email project to implement the new platform and manage the migration of accounts. The information I've provided is accurate, it may not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. We don't provide email backup as a service which puts the onus on the customer to ensure that their emails like all other data on your devices are backed up to a suitable device or cloud space. 

Highlighted
Chatterbox
So your saying you've upgraded my mailbox. Haven't copied my inbox itself, which is why there aren't any pre 1 Sept, and that's supposed to be reasonable? I dont believe for one second a platform was upgraded and no copy was kept of the old platform, for instances such as this.
Highlighted
Chatterbox
This isn't about routine backup. This is about upgrading a platform and failing to secure people's data during that process.