Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Passwords for My Account & Email

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have had a TalkTalk account for many years and I have 3 email addresses registered. My account includes landline and mobile billing. Although I have the app I access billing from my laptop PC. Overall I have been very pleased with the service.

You sent me an email a few days ago saying my landline bill was ready. I followed the link from the email to My Account but the credentials I used were not accepted. I created a new 12-character password using LastPass and then used that to log in. LastPass saves the updated password for next time. I checked my bill as usual and saved the pdf to my PC.

However, the next time I checked my email (on my Android phone) the sign-in credentials were incorrect. I entered the password registered for My Account, which was accepted and I downloaded email as normal.

Why did I use the My Account password? Because this has happened before (for the previous landline bill), and was found to work but only until the next time I logged on to My Account, when the cycle repeats.

I feel like I'm in an endless loop, not knowing how I got in nor how to get out.

Any suggestions?

Richard
Firefox
Win10 Pro
TB
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Rich57 

The answer is to use a non TalkTalk email address as the MyAccount login email address. 

You can then use a unique ultrastrong password as the MyAccount password that's not shared with the email address and only gets changed when you choose to Change password for the MyAccount email address.

When you select a TalkTalk email address for the MyAccount login and billing the password for that email account and the password for MyAccount are synchronised.  You change the email password and the MyAccount password is also changed.  It can confuse you and it's not as secure in my opinion.

Managing your email in My Account 

To change your MyAccount login:

1. Login to My Account
  2. Select My Details from the grey toolbar, then Login details from the drop-down list
  3. Then in the lower My Account email address row, select Edit
  4. Enter the My Account password and the New email address you'd like to use to login to My Account. Confirm that email address and select the Submit button
 Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks @Gondola for your reply. Your advice sounds good, but this behaviour has only started recently. I can't understand why TT suddenly started synchronising My Account and login email address passwords. It makes no sense to me. I think this may have started when I followed some advice to change the password on my email account.

Richard
Firefox
Win10 Pro
TB
Highlighted
Community Star

@Rich57 wrote:..I think this may have started when I followed some advice to change the password on my email account.

Is the email account also used as the MyAccount sign in?  You may have noted, when you changed the email password, that there was a message indicating that if the email password is changed, the MyAccount password will be made the same.

Highlighted
Community Star

NB Don't try making any password changes in the early hours of 1 June as MyAccount is out of action for maintenance.  Service Status has the info in Planned Maintenance.  Try later.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

After adding my alternate email address details and clicking Submit, the whole screen went grey. Refresh cleared it. The list of email addresses looks the same as before.

Richard
Firefox
Win10 Pro
TB