Did you mean: 
Need help?

Technical

ANSWERED
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi Community 

I have a charge on my latest bill for a 4 hour phone call ,i used the number but not for 4 hours any ideas .

malcolm x

Highlighted
Wise Owl
Did not hang up properly? Although I thought lines are now supposed to drop when either party hangs up.
Technical clitch, but virtually impossible to prove.

If you do not normally incur charges one thing you could do to help protect you from similar occurrences in the future is to log into your account and reduce the account spending limit from the default £100 to the minimum permitted £10.
Highlighted
Repeat Guest
Thank you for your advice i did hang up and so did my bank .My bill said a four hour phone call that for me would be impossible.
Malcix
Highlighted
Wizz Kid
"If you do not normally incur charges one thing you could do to help protect you from similar occurrences in the future is to log into your account and reduce the account spending limit from the default £100 to the minimum permitted £10."
I wouldn't advise that at all because -
It doesn't prevent a call from going over the £10 limit. What it does is allow a call to blow the limit then prevents you from making any more outgoing calls.  If you attempt to make a call after the limit has been exceeded you get a recorded message telling you to call TT customer support (fat chance of getting any answer from TT support at the moment).
I know, it happened to me. I wasn't able to make any outgoing calls until the next billing run completed. I also posted here, took 3 weeks before I got a response then the billing run sorted it anyway.

Highlighted
Wise Owl

@jaspertat thanks for your update based on actual real-world experience, rather than my mistaken belief that a spending limit was exactly that.  It is always valuable to learn form the experience of others.

Highlighted
Wise Owl

@malcolmx wrote:
i did hang up and so did my bank

If the call was to a bank then would they not record all calls for quality and/or training purposes as many large businesses do?

I wonder if they could provide some evidence proving the time and duration of the call?

I'm not actually sure if that's at all possible, but just an idea.

Highlighted
Wise Owl

@malcolmx , @AllyM could well be correct you might well be able to make a Subject Access Request under the provisions of the GDPR.  Such requests are free.  An example of how to do this, for NatWest, can be found here.  Under the Write In section it states:

• Please note if you would like a copy of specific information such as a single call recording or a copy of documentation we can usually provide this more quickly without a full Subject Access Request.

Thus implying that calls and the related data are available.

Of course the process will be different for each bank, but it might well be worth contacting your bank and seeking their help with regard to the call details.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi malcolmx,

We'll look into this. Have sent you a private message requesting some further information. 

Thanks,

Jo

Highlighted
Repeat Guest
Solution

Hi 

I have wrote to my bank asking for details and time of conversation and i have contacted Salford by post but i have not had a reply.

p s both our phones were put down correctly .

Malcix