Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges Since you Joined after Account Transfer

KirstyChan
Chatterbox
Message 15 of 15

Hello,

I hope you are all well!

My flatmate has moved out and before doing so, we agreed that we would transfer over the direct debit to come out of my bank account. I've been charged £4.44 extra for the first month (on my bank account) but I don't understand why.

The explanations I see online is that these are costs that have incurred between the Go Live date (11 Nonmember) and the billing date (14 November), but none of this was stated when we called up to ask about it in the first place, and I cannot see any information about this in the Broadband Terms and Conditions, or in the Account Transfer form.

Furthermore, why has the billing date changed when all that was done was a change in account holder? It was under my knowledge from the transfer letter and confirmation letter dated the 10th of November that the only thing that would change is which account the money comes out from. 

I'm not happy about this because this looks like a charge that's meant to occur at the start of a contract, not midway through. I'm also not impressed because none of this was stated in the documents we signed or received or during our call with the customer representative and so I would like to dispute this amount.

All the best,

Kirsty

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 15

If they start their own topic, or maybe even post on this one, the support team can help.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Proof of my flatmate not being able to access his account. 😕

IMG-20211118-WA0008_01.jpg

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I wish the documentation and customer service over the phone were as clear as you are.

How would my flatmate claim the credit? He's not able to access his account. 

I'll pay the charge as I understand it now but probably won't renew my contract as I have no idea what other charges might come through in doing so as it's not specifically stated in the documentation. That being said, I've really appreciated all the comments here, you've all been super helpful and I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. Thank you for your patience and I wish you the very best in what you do, I can imagine it can get frustrating out of no fault of your own. 

Thank you once again, hope you all have a good weekend and stay safe. x

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 4 of 15

@KirstyChan, your flatmate wasn't using the service from the date you took over the account, but they had paid for the remaining days in advance. 

The credit is theirs to claim back. You are the new owner from day one of your name being on the account. The date the bill is issued is a separate matter. 

It has to start whenever it is feasible for the company, and is just an administrative manoeuvre. From now on your complete billing cycle will always be the same. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 15

There are no "additional" charges. Setting up a new account inevitably takes time. You are being charged monthly in advance for your service, but on your first bill you also have to pay in arrears for the service from when the change of ownership took place. Your former flatmate will have a credit and can claim a refund for paying the previous bill in full. It all balances out. Credits cannot be passed from one account to another. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi Arne,

When I signed that form I agreed to take on the charges of the service provided yes, and in that form there was nothing to say that there would be any additional charges as a result of the change of ownership. Therefore, my argument is that I should not be paying the additional charge as that is not what I agreed to, and is also why I am requesting evidence of where in the transfer form it states that there will or may be additional charges from this procedure.

Now that my flatmate is trying to log in, they aren't able to due to 'technical issues' on the website. If they do have credit as you confirmed, would it be possible to transfer that credit to cover that additional charge (with their consent of course)?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Im not really sure what your dispute is in this instance,  by signing the change of ownership form you are agreeing to take on the charges of the services provided which is what we have billed you for, Im not sure that has to be specifically told to you, all charges are detailed in your Online account. 

I can confirm that The previous owner does indeed have a credit on their account.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi Arne,

Thank you for your response.

I understand now, but I'm upset that this wasn't outlined to me in the documentation I read in the change of ownership document, the Talk Talk customer terms and conditions, or in the call we had with the customer representative which is why I am disputing this. Especially as Ofcom's Regulation 7(I) states “A seller or supplier shall ensure that any written term of contract is expressed in plain, intelligible language.…” which was not the case regarding this additional charge.

Please highlight where exactly in the Talk Talk customer terms and conditions, or in the account transfer form this is mentioned as I do not believe this is supposed to me customer common knowledge during an account transfer.

The previous owner does not have credit showing in their account.

All the best,

Kirsty

Message 9 of 15

Ask them to look again when they get their next bill. 

Message 10 of 15

Hi ferguson,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I have asked and there is no credit in their account.

All the best,

Kirsty

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply to it.

I appreciate your explanation - it does make sense. However, I think TalkTalk should take responsibility for the fact that this isn't outlined in the documentation, or in our call with a customer representative to double-check the handover procedure - don't you think? Especially when we've gone out of our way to read through the documentation and call them up.

I would be happy to pay it if I was told in advance of signing but now it feels like a hidden cost and goodness knows what else I should be expecting outside of the fine print should I continue using them in the future. 

Apologies for the frustration above, I'm not taking it out on you and in fact, I'm very thankful for your answer. Thank you once again and I hope you have a good day!

All the best,

Kirsty

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 15

Hi KirstyChan

Thanks for your post. 

When a change of ownership occurs the new owner is given a new account, this can also mean a change of billing date, the extra charge is exactly as you have outlined its the pro rata charge from the time you new account went live, up to the next billing date. 

Im sorry that this wasn't explained to you at the time of the change, however the service was used as is therefore chargeable, as ferguson has mentioned the previous owner will have a credit showing on their account for the advanced payment made before the change last month. 

Your bill will be what was agreed next month. 

Regards

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 13 of 15

@KirstyChan Are you able to ask your erstwhile flatmate to check their account? They may well be in credit for the same period.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

@KirstyChan, billing cycles take a little time to set up. There's always a lag between going live and the first bill.

In your case there will have simply been admin to process. If the change of ownership happened on day x, it had to go through and then the bill would have to be calculated. There is bound to be a lag of a few days. 

There's a similar messy period for a month or two, tying up loose ends when customers leave. 

Ticking over month to month during the contract, however, you should see the regular amount, subject to any changes you make yourself to boosts / cost of calls etc.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes