Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Price Increase

TangoM
Whizz Kid
Message 17 of 17

I have today 3 April received the monthly TT email advising my bill for April is ready. However it shows an increase cost for my Broadband service of £2. I am on a fixed price contract (for what it's worth looking at other posts) but I have not received any email notification from TT that there was a price increase to be applied to my service. The only communications I have received in recent weeks concerns a 'free' upgrade from ADSL to Fibre 35 which was to come at 'no extra cost'.

As I understand it is an OFCOM requirement for ISPs to advise their customers of any price increases on so called 'fixed price' contracts which then gives their customers the opportunity to go elsewhere within a 30 day period without incurring any exit charges. Therefore I have not been given that opportunity.

OCEs please advise.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 1 of 17

Terms and Conditions can be found at the bottom of each webpage.

This condition has been incorporated for a number of years.

TalkTalk has operated within the letter of the contract. Unfortunately many don't agree with it, me included, but you have options that we're agreed with Ofcom, and the best option is to phone to negotiate a new deal as there are deals to be had.

I'm locking this thread as It is becoming a discussion thread and the OP has had their issue resolved.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

kenwalker
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 17

Taken from Ofcom -

A1.13 The importance of the core subscription price in the subscriber’s choice of contract
means it should be clear to the subscriber before entering into any contract what
the price offered and agreed is. The subscriber should be able to compare offers,
make informed decisions and rely on the price agreed. An increase at the CP’s
discretion, changing it to a price the consumer might not otherwise have chosen to
pay over other offers on the market is, or is likely to be, materially detrimental.

kenwalker
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 17

Taken from Ofcom. I can see nothing in the T&Cs which applied to my contract last year which stated anything like this.

A1.8 These contracts are typically subject to the CP’s standard form terms and
conditions. These often include a term to the effect that the CP may increase the
agreed price payable by the subscriber (including the core subscription price) during
the initial commitment period of the contract (or at any time). These terms are,
however, usually significantly less prominent than the headline terms of the kind
described in paragraph A1.5 and may not be adequately drawn to the subscriber’s
attention.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

@stupideejay3 

TT have not broken their contract with you. You should look up sections 9.2 and 16.2 of the Ts and Cs. 

They are allowed to do this by virtue of a cosy arrangement OFCOM have with all ISPs, see section A1.11 here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/29682/guidance.pdf

This allows ISPs to increase prices mid contract in so called fixed price contracts provided the customers are given a month's notice of any increase, during which they can choose to go elsewhere without any penalty.

This assumes of course that the customer is given notice, which was the point of my OP.

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 5 of 17

@stupideejay3

Your options are in the email sent to you.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 6 of 17

@stupideejay3 

No.

stupideejay3
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 17

Is there any comeback on the CONTRACT BREAKING price rise. I signed up for a 18 month deal promising NO price increase within that period of contract. That Contract has been broken.

Message 8 of 17

That's good to see, thanks for letting us know.  🙂

Message 9 of 17

@fr8ys@ferguson 

I have now talked to the people on the number suggested and have been offered an arrangement I am happy with.

Thanks for your help.

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 10 of 17

As we have said, you need to contact customer services / loyalty team, on the number I posted earlier.

Thank you.

Message 11 of 17
....plus I have been looking out for something relating to a price increase since I was aware that price increases are currently occurring. I had actually thought an increase was not going to be applied to my service up until I got my bill today
0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

OK, well, your options remain the same. Contact the retentions team for a quicker response, or wait a few days for the OCE to advise further. 

Message 13 of 17

@ferguson @fr8ys 

As I said the only stuff I have had in recent weeks is a letter concerning the 'free' upgrade, and emails about the upgrade and bill notifications.

It is something I would have noticed since the email account is only used for TT stuff and little else, and I know what comes through the letter box

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

@TangoM You are right that you should have been notified. Check your emails from early March, look in spam/junk folders. The email should have come from info@consumer.talktalk.co.uk and headed "News about your service."

If you are certain that you haven't received it then notify customer services in the first instance, otherwise the OCE won't be able to advise until some time next week. 

EDIT: Just adding to what Steve said at the same time as he did!

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 15 of 17

By the way, the email is headed, News about your service, and would have been sent one month before your account due date.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Emails have been sent out to the same address as used for billing.

staff here are unable to deal with these price rise issues. You need to speak to the loyalty team.

0345 1725157 is a dedicated number for price rise issues.

0 Likes