Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Direct Debit not on time

22 REPLIES 22
Alex_TT
Team Player

I remember changing my Direct Debit (DD) due date some time ago, to be a few days earlier than it used to be.

Now, when I select this option 'change payment due date', I can see: "Currently, your monthly landline bill payment is due on or around the 5th of every month."

Today is the 8th and I can see in my bank account a pending transaction for TalkTalk which will trigger tomorrow (the 9th).

I looked now in my bank account history and in March TalkTalk payment was taken on the 8th.

Why this is not happening on 5th each month (or 6th since we had Easter Monday on the 5th this month)?

OCE_Arne
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Alex_TT

Your payment has been taken today (9th) 

Sorry for any confusion. 

Alex_TT
Team Player

Thank you for your answer. I think I responded to this answer already though I cannot see it now (removed?) so I am going to repeat it again. Is my DD going to happen this month on 5th and if not, why not please?

OCE_Arne

There is no reason to believe that it wont be taken tomorrow.  

Alex_TT
Team Player

There is a reason to belive it will not be taken today (5th May) neither tomorrow as I cannot see any pending transaction for today/tomorrow in my banking app. According to my banking app, it will be taken on Monday the 10th. Why not today?

ferguson
Community Star

What is your billing date?

Alex_TT
Team Player

from TalkTalk web page when I click: Change Payment Due Date:

Change payment due date
Important notice

Currently, your monthly landline bill payment is due on or around the 5th of every month.

Simply, select a new payment date from the list of available dates below to change your monthly payment due date.

However when I see the main page, it reads:

I did change due date months ago to be the 5th.

ferguson
Community Star

What is the billing date i.e. the date when the bill is produced?

Alex_TT
Team Player

Latest:

28 April 2021 - 27 May 2021

Due on: 07 May 2021

Upcoming:

Your next bill will be issued on or around

28 May 2021

And when I look at the history (previous bills) they are all created on 28th each month.

ferguson
Community Star

OK, thanks. TalkTalk usually give 5 days between bill date and payment date, subject to weekends and Bank Holidays. So that does explain the gaps here. 

EDIT: oops!

Alex_TT
Team Player

Does it really? So what is the point of going to: "Change paymnet due date" option since that chosen date is not respected?

And also, 5 working days from 28th would be today/tomorrow (depends if you start counting 28th inclusive), not on 7th. 

OCE_Arne
AllyM
Wise Owl

@Alex_TT , My bills are all produced on the 2nd of the month but the DD due dates are not on a fixed date. I've had a look at several previous bills and have seen DD dates ranging from the 8th to the 14th.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if you check your bill each month it will tell you when the payment is due to be taken, so while it may not be taken on the 5th as you had hoped, you will still be informed of when it is due to be taken, so I'm not quite sure why it is such a big issue for you.

I could understand it might be a problem if they were taking it earlier than you wanted before your pay had gone into your bank account or whatever, but a few days later?

@OCE_Arne , As far as I'm aware, the DD process usually takes about 2 to 3 working days from a company submitting the request to the payment coming out of the customer's bank account. Could it be that when the OP has requested a payment date of the 5th, TalkTalk is stating the DD claim process on that date, resulting in the payment coming out of the customer's account around the 7th or 8th?

ferguson
Community Star

@AllyM That is the way it works. But customers need to have more notice than that in case they have any billing queries to allow them time to raise any issues so that they can be dealt with before the payment process has started. 

AllyM
Wise Owl

@ferguson  I think you're missing the point I was trying to make.

If his DD payment was taken on the 5th, as he would like, then the process would have to be started 2 or 3 days earlier than that so he would get less notice.

His bills are produced on the 28th, so he's getting the same notice as the rest of us get.

ferguson
Community Star

@AllyM Not at all, you're missing the point that notice from billing to DD has to comply with the period I mentioned, rather than just the processing period. 

AllyM
Wise Owl

@ferguson wrote:

@AllyM Not at all, you're missing the point that notice from billing to DD has to comply with the period I mentioned, rather than just the processing period. H

I'm not getting your point.

If his bill produced on the 28th tells him the DD will be taken on the 7th, when he was expecting it to be taken on the 5th, that's giving him more notice. Is that not better than getting less notice?

ferguson
Community Star

Yes, of course. And then you flagged a separate point to the OCE about the processing time, which is otiose. 

AllyM
Wise Owl

@ferguson wrote:

you flagged a separate point to the OCE about the processing time, which is otiose. 

I was trying to help get to the bottom of why there appears to be a discrepancy between OP's selected payment date and the actual payment date, which I thought was the original point of this thread.

ferguson
Community Star

It is. And the reason is that months vary in days/length/holidays etc. At the end of the day I would love to hear from the OP why it matters if it fluctuates by a few days, as long as it is never earlier than expected?