Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early termination fees

jrdixon1
Team Player
Message 10 of 10

My broadband and phone contract is up for renewal on 14th November but I can get cheaper elsewhere that talktalk  won’t match.

before I switch provider, do I have to wait until my contract ends to avoid an early termination fee or am I able to switch now considering I have less than 1 month left to go on my contract?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

jrdixon1
Team Player
Message 1 of 10

Thx @Debbie-TalkTalk , but I have already instigated a switch away from Talktalk due to horrendous customer service provided by the company

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Hi jrdixon1

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you contact our Loyalty Team by phone, they can take a look at this and discuss this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 10

I am not absolutely certain on that last point, I will leave it for the support team to answer. 

0 Likes

jrdixon1
Team Player
Message 4 of 10

Thanks @ferguson , I am assuming that even though talktalk will accept the switch in lieu of the 30 days notice they will still charge an early termination fee unless I can organise the switch to the new provider to take effect the day after my contract with talktalk ends.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 10

You have to give TalkTalk 30 days' notice of leaving. Alternatively, if you are switching your service including taking your existing phone number with you then you don't have to do that, the new provider should notify TalkTalk of the switch on your behalf and TalkTalk will accept that in lieu of the 30 days.  That should ensure a seamless transition and your TalkTalk service will cease on the date that the new provider takes over.

You will continue to get billed by TalkTalk on your usual monthly date, after the switch has gone through the following bill will show any credit adjustments for the period between the switching date and the bill. 

0 Likes

jrdixon1
Team Player
Message 6 of 10

Yeah I was actually trying to find out if my contract ended on the morning of the 14th, or at midnight of the 14th.

A simple enough question, but obviously one they couldn’t answer.

it’s an indication of the level of customer service I have had from Talktalk everytime I have needed to speak to them. This is now compounded by the fact that they seem to have removed all phone customer support phone numbers from their website so it is nearly impossible to get to speak to speak to anyone. 

all ‘get in touch’ links now seem to take you to either FAQ documents or the community forum.

Unsurprisingly Talktalk have today emailed me with a better offer to renew, which I will not be accepting.  I would rather spend an extra £1 a month to get good customer service, and not end up frustrated and angry every time I try to contact the company.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 10

Doesn't sound like you got very good advice there I must admit. What they were probably trying to say is that when your contract ends you would automatically move to the 'standard' tariff, so you would have part of your billing month at your current discounted 'contract' rate, and part of the month at the new 'standard' rate (unless you renewed onto a new contract with a discounted rate). But yeah, if you have found a better offer elsewhere then that may tempt you away !

jrdixon1
Team Player
Message 8 of 10

Thx @Skynet_TX, but to be honest due to the lack of customer support received today and the total lack of knowledge the staff had as to the date my contract ends I will be switching away from Talktalk regardless of what they offer me.

Even though I knew the exact date in November (14th) my contract ends, I  was told the contract would be wound down during the month of November during which time my discounts would gradually reduce. And my contract would end ‘towards the end of November’!!

this is just totally ridiculous and shows the totally lack of knowledge and inept customer service talktalk provides

needless to say the Customer service rep couldn’t answer my questions, and I ended up just closing the chat down mid conversation with frustration.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi @jrdixon1,

If you cancel your service before the end of your contract you could be changed early termination fees, full details here : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Cancel-your-TalkTalk-service/ta-p/2204737

Have you actually tried calling TalkTalk to see if they can offer you a better price, as they may be able to offer you a better deal than is offered to you within 'My Account'. If you wanted to speak to someone you could call 0345 172 0046 and then ask to speak to the Loyalty Team when prompted.

0 Likes