Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed-term contract price increasing!?

dannieller
First Timer
Message 14 of 14

Hi all, 

I am a student living in rented accommodation and my 18-month fixed price contract is apparently increasing by £2 a month from April, next month. 

1) How can this be possible when my contract is for a fixed term price for 18 months!?

2) Where can I find the ins and outs of my contract to contest this?

3) I got varied responses from different talktalk representatives. One via the online chat function told me this email was sent to all customers but it would not affect my tariff considering my contract is a fixed term. However, a different representative via twitter messenger told me that this will affect me despite my fixed-term contract status. How can they do this!? Why would I bother signing a fixed-term contract if it wasn't indeed, fixed. 

13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi @toppen 

We are just TalkTalk customers like yourself & we have to pay the same price increases as you. @martswain is only trying to point out the situation we are all in & Talk talk are operating within the terms & conditions that you have signed up to, just like ourselves, he is not being rude at all.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

The official TalkTalk position has been posted in this and other threads.

It doesn't matter who you talk to, the story is going to be the same.

Most people would agree with you that TalkTalk's behaviour has been morally wrong, but legally they are covered by the terms and conditions we all signed up to, simple as that.

Message 3 of 14

@toppen this topic belongs to @dannieller and was answered by a staff member in post #4 several months ago.

If you want a specific question answered please start your own topic as per the community guidelines.

However, do take time to go back through the hundreds of posts regarding the price rise and perceived breach of contract, you will then see you don't have a leg to stand on.

All you can do is moan about it 😜

Message 4 of 14

Martin,

Who are You? You are a rude person, but You are not a TT staff. If you are not able to discuss polite, please leave me alone.
I would like to talk not with you, Mr Rude.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

@toppen 

It was NOT a breach of contract.

It was a change to the Terms and Conditions to which we all agreed.

Nobody will have any success in any court.

OFCOM have not censured TalkTalk.

If you want to be Mr Angry that's fine but by your own admission you are also Mr Lazy and haven't bothered to do anything about what you see as such a gross injustice.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

martswain
"You see it as a breach of contract which does not have any basis in law or everyone would be taking TT to small claims court."

Yes, it is breach of contractand unethical business conduct. You have right, I am not going to SCC, because Iam lazy despite of angry.

"If you want to sit on your backside and have a moan so be it, some of us got off our proverbial backsides and did something about it."

I don't understand why are you so rude?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

You see it as a breach of contract which does not have any basis in law or everyone would be taking TT to small claims court.

It may have been a bit sneaky and annoying but it wasn't illegal.

If you want to sit on your backside and have a moan so be it, some of us got off our proverbial backsides and did something about it.

Some customers left, some negotiated away the increase and others like myself screwed the loyalty team into an even cheaper deal.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

martswain wrote
"As with any utility, sitting on your backside and moaning is useless, you need to act !"

I repeat, this is a rather cynical attitude. A fixed term contract is a contract between two parties, all points of which must be complied with by both parties. The service provider will provide the service at the agreed fixed price for the contracted period.
This price variation is a contract breach. All right, this price increase of a few pounds doesn’t cut me to the ground, but it is a reason for lost my trust.
And the statement that not only should I sit on my backside, but do something, is not really kind. Is it explicitly means that I shouldn't worry, if there will be breach of contract again and again each month. In this case, what is the point of a fixed term contract? Can the fixed term contract tie the consumer’s hands only?
I repeat, this is still not fair. That's unethical.
The company’s costs didn’t rise overnight, it was obviously included in the business plan. The new price should have been agreed with the new contractors, unilaterally amending existing contracts is unethical.
And if that cynical statement meant I couldn’t complain, leave it speechless, or step down, I’d note that I wasn’t going to step down, but it was frustrating me to lose trust. I don’t like business partners who can’t be trusted.
Stepping down would obviously be a lot of difficulty for me, not just a stroke of a pen, as the company simplifies it so easily.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

@toppen none of us liked the unexpected price rise, however once you looked at the Terms and Conditions it became apparent they were allow do it so we all had to suck it up.

OFCOM guidelines were followed as they offered the option to leave without penalty.

Some left, some accepted it and the savvy rest of us called them and negotiated a deal, they even had a special number open for a while.

My bill for the 12 months from April 2021 is now £3.95 less than it would have been with the increase and only subject to the CPI + 3.7% from April 2022 for the final 6 months of my 18 month agreement.

As with any utility, sitting on your backside and moaning is useless, you need to act !

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

"Re: Fixed-term contract price increasing!?

Please also note in addition to what @martswain has said, if you decide to leave (most other ISPs have put their prices up as well), it is not just good enough to join a new ISP & think that you won't face early leaving penalties. To leave without penalty because of this situation, you must first inform TT customer services of your wish."

I do not like this answer. This is sarcastic answer.

The fix term contract means obligation for both parties.

My obligation is: I will not leave TalkTalk, TalkTalk obligation means the company will provide service with fix price.

During the fix term Talktalk will do each 3 month, maybe each month? If I don't like it, let's go. This is not fair. This obligation only for customer, and company can change if wants.

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 14

Hi dannieller

Thanks for your post

I understand your frustration regarding our decision to change our terms and conditions and end our fixed price promise, for fast broadband and faster packages this will result in a price increase for you,  our terms a conditions are subject to change and because of this, we have to give you 30 days notice of this change, and also give you the option to leave.  

We are still offering a very competitive price compared to other providers, and we also offer our fixed price plus option, where you pay a little more each month throughout your minimum contract term and we guarantee to completely fix your price. Once your contract ends your broadband will only increase in line with inflation.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Please also note in addition to what @martswain has said, if you decide to leave (most other ISPs have put their prices up as well), it is not just good enough to join a new ISP & think that you won't face early leaving penalties. To leave without penalty because of this situation, you must first inform TT customer services of your wish.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 13 of 14

It's been discussed in many posts over the last couple of weeks.

They can change their Ts and Cs with notice as they have done.

If you are subject to the price increase then as per the Ts and Cs you can either accept it or leave without penalty in the 30 days following notification of the change. 

0 Likes