Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed term contract price rises before contract ends

fedup
Whizz Kid
Message 22 of 22

Well, I didn't think Talk Talk could get any worse, but they've really excelled themselves this time! Fixed price contracts, for your information, Talk Talk, mean that customers won't be subject to mid-contract price hikes during their contract. Regarding the right to leave, those on a good price deal may not wish to leave until their contract expires, and they should get that price until the end. In view of the price rise, some may have have been better off going with another provider at the time they renewed/took out the contract with TT and there may be nothing in the marketplace now which favourably compares with the alternative deals.

Advertising Standards Authority is formally investigating some of their TV and email ads which refer to fixed prices.

This must be illegal, I'm totally disgusted with them and they should not be allowed to get away with it!

21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

You have my sympathy, Chemitrol - I have endured many similar chats, leaving me fantasizing about throttling the ignoramus responsible. Their inability to answer a straight question is probably only matched by politicians.

0 Likes

chemitrol
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 22

I spoke to "retentions" and was offered Fibre 65; Fixed Price 18 Month Contract: Fixed Price Plus; No Price increases EVER (even outside the 18 months) for £23.95/month. No "Welcome Pack" ever arrived; My Account didn't confirm this offer; Customer Services stated that all calls are recorded, and this was proof of my contract (but I haven't got a copy of the recoding.

Eventually, I had live chat with TalkTalk and an extract follows:

cebolenkosi: Thank you for your kind patience . I can confirm from looking into your Account that you are on Fibre 65 for 23.95 monthly and your contract started on the 01/07/2021 and it will end on the 31/12/2022 12:18, Jul 5

Chemitrol: Can you please confirm the following:

12:18, Jul 5

Chemitrol: 1)The cost of my contract is fixed for 18 months 12:19, Jul 5

Chemitrol: 2) The package now includes Fixed Price Plus

12:19, Jul 5

Chemitrol: 3) Your agent agreed that the annual increase in Clause 9.2 would be waived for the life of my contract

12:20, Jul 5

Chemitrol: 4) The speeds of broadband under this contract (estimated, minimum speed guarantee etc).

12:23, Jul 5

12:26, Jul 5 cebolenkosi: Thank you for confirming .

12:27, Jul 5

Chemitrol: I am asking YOU to confirm those points apply to my contract with TalkTalk

12:32, Jul 5

cebolenkosi: I completely understand your frustration and I would also like to apologize for all that has been caused as well as you where not made correctly aware of the package .

However I can assure you that you are currently on our Fibre 65 at £23.95 this started on the 01/07/2021 and will come to an end on the 31/12/2022. This is a 18 month contract . You can even have a copy of this chat emailed to you by clicking on the plus button on the bottom left of your chat window, then selecting the 'email transcript' option.

In regards to the £30.00 admin fee , please confirm where you made aware of this charges ?

So that I can have further investigation done for you to have this issue resolved .

12:35, Jul 5

Chemitrol: You are NOT confirming points I am asking you to confirm. Please CONFIRM that: 1) The cost of my contract is FIXED for 18 months. 2) The package now includes Fixed Price Plus. 3) Your agent agreed that the annual increase in Clause 9.2 would be waived for the life of my contract. 4) The speeds of broadband under this contract (estimated, minimum speed guarantee etc).

12:40, Jul 5

Chemitrol: I can confirm that you agent advised me that a Contract Admin Fee Credit would be applied to my account to offset the £30 Contract Admin Fee. This is the ONLY point that was mentioned in the email I received after agrreing to a new contract with your agent. The email didn't refer to the ponts I am asking YOU to confirm. 12:42, Jul 5

cebolenkosi: As mentioned above your contract price which is the amount you are going to pay is £23.95 which is for 18 months , your contract is fixed for the duration of your contract which means you will not be effected by any increase further .

Also to confirm you will not be charged the £30.00 admin fee .

12:42, Jul 5 cebolenkosi: As per your account . 12:44, Jul 5

Chemitrol: You still haven't CONFIRMED:. 2) The package now includes Fixed Price Plus. 3) Your agent agreed that the annual increase in Clause 9.2 would be waived for the life of my contract. 4) The speeds of broadband under this contract (estimated, minimum speed guarantee etc).

12:47, Jul 5

cebolenkosi: I have confirmed in the above statement to you that your contract is fixed and you will not be affected by any increase  further . also I have advised of the £30.00 fee that you are not going to be charged .

Highest Download 61.6 , Lowest Download 55.5 , Minimum Guaranteed Download 49.9 .

Chemitrol: Fixed Price Plus?

12:47, Jul 5 cebolenkosi: Yes that is correct.

Chemitrol: Clause 9.2 will not be applied?

12:48, Jul 5 cebolenkosi: Correct . 12:49, Jul 5

Chemitrol: Good, at last! Why haven't I received a welcome pack which I should have? This would give full details of my tarrif, including the speeds you have now provided.

12:50, Jul 5 cebolenkosi: Just to confirm you have not received a welcome ?

12:52, Jul 5

Chemitrol: No, I haven't received a welcome pack. When I called customer support, I was told a welcome pack had been POSTED to me. On my original contract, I received a welcome pack by email.

cebolenkosi: Thank you for awaiting what I can do for you is send you out a welcome pack however this will be sent via post as I will need to raise an escalation for this to be sent however you are to receive it within the next 3-5 working days.

13:01, Jul 5

Chemitrol: Thank you for all your help.

The full conversation lasted from 11:41 - 13:01. and I ended up with a transcript confirming:

• Fibre 65, 18 month fixed price at £23.95/month
  • Fixed Price Plus included at no extra cost
  • Clause 9.2 waived (annual increases) for life of my contract

I initially accepted this contract, but have cancelled as I don't trust TalkTalk - they have Clause 16.2 which allows them to renege on any terms of the contract at any time.

Note!

1. I never received a Welome Pack which was meant to arrive within 5 working days of 5 July.
  2. I have, however, received letters offering Standard Broadband @ £17.95 and Faster Broadband @£19.95/month.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 22

@fedup A good attitude, our mutual friend Martin Lewis cautions against making such hasty decisions! 🙂

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Sorry - I should have explained that when I looked I was searching for broadband, not fibre, but then TT told me they won't let people renew with broadband if fibre is available in their area. Topcashback give £100 for new TT fibre 35 customers. I agree with you about the hassle of leaving - every time I have a problem with TT that they don't resolve I vow to leave at renewal time, but temper usually abates by then.

Message 5 of 22

@MichaelRG, there are lots of potential one-off fees with Talktalk. 

Check here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-pricing/ta-p/2212258

They are not always waived!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 22

I had a quick look at MSE and Topcashback, couldn't see anything  better than the deal you got. Unless there was a truly significant and substantial saving, the hassle alone would deter me from leaving. Maybe that will change if Ofcom ever get their act together with ISPs, as they have done with mobile providers, where switching is a cinch. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Fibre 35 - Before renegotiating, I always find the cheapest deals elsewhere, which I think helps get the price down. Topcashback always gives high cashback for ISPs & Martin Lewis's site is invaluable.  Still have to haggle, though, as they never give me the best price straightaway.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 22

Which version of fibre do you have? That looks like a pretty good deal. People regularly post their outcomes on here, I have rarely seen better. 

0 Likes

fedup
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 22

After a lot of haggling, I was offered a 2 year (unfixed price) contract for fibre, with free UK calls, for £21/month. (Started at £28, then £24 - which I was told was their 'rock bottom' price). Could have got it cheaper with Shell Energy or PlusNet (that is, by going through Topcashback and receiving Amazon or pre-paid mastercard). The only reason I renewed is because of the YouView box (I've had to have several replacements due to  breakdown, which is why I'm reluctant to buy one). They told me they no longer supply the TT Plus Box which records.

However, if I can find a reliable device to buy which will be suitable for my 11 year old TV (I don't understand these things), I'll cancel TT within the time allowed & switch.

I suggest others put prices they've been offered here to help others haggle.

0 Likes

MichaelRG
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 22

Hmmmm, just an obvious word if you DO consider leaving TalkTalk . . . 

MY opinion only, but while there are slightly cheaper alternatives, these others frequently have additional charges like a 'Set-up' fee, Postage charges, Router cost, etc, and small-print that shows there will be a price increase during your contract anyway. 

With TalkTalk, there are NO additional charges at all, even the Phone Line, if necessary, is installed without charge.

In addition, if you switch to another provider, you probably know a little less about their reliability, speed, service etc.

For me, TalkTalk are competitively priced, VERY reliable, and, (on Fibre 65), I'm getting pretty much the advertised speed 99% of the time, (57-59MB).

This Viewpoint Is Not (c), and may be reproduced freely, subject to a £1/month reduction to my contract. 😉  😄

chemitrol
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 22

lmao

" stop spamming other people's topics with your own opinions? ", says the clown who spends all his/her time doing exactly that!

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 22

Fair point. So perhaps you could do likewise and stop spamming other people's topics with your own opinions? 

chemitrol
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 22

myob @ferguson 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 22

@chemitrol Who are you switching to, out of interest?

0 Likes

chemitrol
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 22

@Arne-TalkTalkGood luck to the remaining TalkTalk customers - they'll need it!

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

chemitrol
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 22

There in a nutshell is TalkTalk ethics policy:

chemitrol_0-1626703337469.png

"...terms and condition are ALWAYS subject to change, it is completely legal as long as we give you 30 days notice and the option to leave penalty free."

You can go to Customer Services (retentions) as @Arne-TalkTalk suggests, and you WILL be offered a better deal. You may even be offered Fixed Price Plus which "guarantees" that prices wil NEVER rise during your contract...but, as @Arne-TalkTalk states:

""...terms and condition are ALWAYS subject to change, it is completely legal as long as we give you 30 days notice and the option to leave penalty free."

So TalkTalk are able to renege on any promises they have made and breach your contract penalty free at any time!

How can you trust any company who includes a breach of contract clause (Clause 16.2) in their Terms & Conditions?

I don't, so I'm leaving for good, despite the much cheaper contract they offered me - which I expect to be breached before it ended.

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 22

Hi :@fedup 

Sorry that you are unhappy with our price increase announcement, terms and condition are always subject to change, it is completely legal as long as we give you 30 days notice and the option to leave penalty free. 

So I would suggest calling our Customer Loyalty Team during Business hours (Monday to Saturday 10:00am to 18:00pm) on 03451720046 

They can help. 

0 Likes

chemitrol
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 22

They do offer a better deal...and Fixed Price Plus

...but there is still Clause 16.2!

ferguson
Community Star
Message 20 of 22

@fedup Nobody is happy about these changes, I can only suggest you take the path which many others have followed and speak to the customer loyalty team to express your displeasure, chances are they will offer you an improved deal to stay.