Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my talk talk service being cancelled

DJJohhnyJetson
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 11

Good evening

Can I please get an OCE to check to see if my account is closing. 

I've had bt full fibre installed,  as talktalk don't offer it where I live,  I was told by talktalk that as soon as my bt service is installed, my talktalk account would be closed. 

I've received no confirmation to this effect, I'm worried my account will be running into my next bill, which is due 11th May.

I've had bt installed since 21st April and told my final bill would appear within 14 days of this, but I've still had nothing from talktalk to say sorry you're leaving, etc. I refuse to pay anymore money to talktalk as my account should be fully terminated by the latest 9th May, depending on whether you see weekends as days or not.  

I've been told by talktalk online chat to ask bt, bt have asked me to contact talktalk,  tried calling talktalk about 40 minutes ago, only to be told customer services is closed, yet on your website it says until 8pm on Sundays.  It's ridiculous!! 

Regards

John

10 REPLIES 10

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 1 of 11

Staff respond Monday to Friday only, @DJJohhnyJetson, during the day. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

DJJohhnyJetson
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 11

@Arne-TalkTalk ... I've sent over the answers on the type form, so what now? 

John

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi @DJJohhnyJetson

Sorry that this is still ongoing.

So the issue is caused as we have not been contacted at all by BT, without the request to take the number we will not know you have left, despite the call you made on the 31st, where actually you where given the correct information as part of the gaining provider process (also backed up by the engineer).  We had no idea what service you requested with BT who should have also given you the cancellation steps to follow. (ie call us and cancel the account) 

Unfortunately the situation remains the same that cancellation cannot be processed via the community, In order to progress this to a conclusion I will need to confirm some security questions so I have sent a PM to you. 

Once confirmed I will see what I can sort out. 

0 Likes

DJJohhnyJetson
Whizz Kid
Message 4 of 11

@Arne-TalkTalk ... I've just spent over 1 and a half hours sitting in a call queue at the front of the queue to finally give up.  That is ridiculous having to sit on a phone for nearly 2 hours to speak to someone about cancelling the broadband and phone. 

Further to conversations of others, I really want talktalk to answer these, not anyone that is not even vaguely connected to billing, cancellations or no real understanding of the conversations I've had with talktalk. 

Start from beginning.....

I phoned talktalk cancellations on the 31st March, asking for my account to be closed, as I've got a new supplier. I was told by the gentleman on the call that I was not to cancel my services at the time as BT would arrange for my talktalk account to be closed, he said it was better for this to happen as I'd have to give 30 days notice and this way it would only be 14 days, he knew exactly why i was leaving and that i was going from faster fibre and going to fttp fibre, so no excuses here that he wasn't aware of the circumstances as to why i was wanting to leave. He said I would be sent a bag to send back my router and this needed to be sent back within 40 days.  I left the call thinking everything was in hand and my talktalk services would end within 14 days of my new BT service being installed. 

I had my broadband installed on 21st April,  all went swimmingly,  the engineer was polite, got it done quickly, he explained my service, he then reiterated that the moment he confirmed to BT that my service was running OK, BT would then arrange cancellation of my old talktalk service.  So I've had this told to me twice so far. 

I decided i was concerned that I'd received no information from talktalk to get the old router back, sorry your leaving etc,  so I started a Web chat. Spoke to someone tried to explain the situation,  they didn't confirm or deny the cancellation in progress,  but they did confirm the process that as I'd signed up with BT that my service should have cancelled within 14 days of the new service going live.  So this is now 3 people singing from the same hymn book.  I've got screen grabs of the chat if needs be. They told me they were arranging a bag to send the router back to talktalk, even confirmed the address where they should send the bag.  I need proper conversations with people that are not going to lie or pass over the questions I ask.  I want my service cancelled now,  like I attempted on the 31st March, I don't need the phone line, I don't need the talktalk broadband,  as I've got a new provider.  I want proper answers, no flannel. 

I'm not prepared to sit on the phone for 2 hours to get nowhere at all,  that is absurd, do you only employ 1 termination agent?  It seems that way.  It really does not make good business practise to keep customers hanging on a phone for hours to just cancel their services, it's unfair, it's a breach to almost stop customers cancelling by forcing them to sit on a phone at number 1 position in the queue for over an hour! No termination of an account takes an hour to process. 

I expect an OCE to contact me back please, no one else. 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 5 of 11

When it's a change to a different infrastructure, which effectively happens moving to full Fibre, and changing the phone number, @DJJohhnyJetson, it's not simply an ordinary taking over of the line. 

It's more similar to a move to Virgin, where the customer has to cancel their Talktalk service.

If you were told otherwise by phone / Chat, then pay, as @martswain has advised, AND argue the case later. 

It will be overall less stressful for you than dealing with debt collectors, @DJJohhnyJetson.

It takes two or three months to unwind Talktalk billing - Talktalk charges the full month ahead, and depending on whether you were in or out of contract, early termination fees  or 30 days notice would be due; if you've overpaid the money will be paid back to My Account on the next bill; from there you can claim it back to your bank account, so keep your Direct Debit in place for now for lots of good reasons. 

Only after all this is sorted out, you can safely close the Direct Debit, after a £0.00 bill.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 6 of 11

@DJJohhnyJetson you need to cancel your TT service and then argue the toss regarding charges.

Moving away from a phone line based service to full fibre does not as yet as far as I know, trigger the gaining provider to contact the incumbent to cancel their service.

If your service remains active and you do not pay the bill, TT will come after you for payment and extra charges and have been known to sell on the debt to a collection agency.

0 Likes

DJJohhnyJetson
Whizz Kid
Message 7 of 11

I was told by a talktalk cancellation agent before I had the bt fibre installed that I needed to do nothing as when my new broadband was supplied, you would get a cancellation request, which means that it would cancel within 14 days. I've spoken to bt, they said the same,  spoke to an agent on chat the other day, they said the same.  So I won't be paying talktalk anymore money, I did try to cancel it myself about 4 weeks ago,  but was told not to cancel it. 

I've not been given a new number, as I've gone for fibre on its own for the same price as talktalk with a phone line I never use. 

Someone needs to sort this as I was told to just order my new service and talktalk and bt would sort it.  

Clearly I've been lied to somewhere.  

John

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 11

Hi @DJJohhnyJetson

Sorry that you want to leave us. 

I cannot see any cancellation on the line or any request from another provider have they given you a new number?

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 9 of 11

If you had a TT service over the phone line then unless you arranged to port your phone number to BT it is unlikely your BT order would generate a cease on your TT service as nothing is being transferred, hence no "sorry to hear you are leaving" email or letter.

If you haven't given TT notice that you are leaving then you will have to do so now and be liable for another 30 days of charges if out of contract, or early termination fees if still in a fixed term.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

The support team here won't be back online until Tuesday and there may be delay after that as they catch up from the Bank Holiday weekend.

Other support channels are available in the meantime:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Ways-of-contacting-us/ta-p/2230529

0 Likes