Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-selling to aged and vulnerable individual

dapling
Team Player
Message 13 of 13

You read so much bad news about TT sometimes and wonder why, then something happens to make you realise that they only care about sales and not customer care.

my elderly mother in law just called me, practically in tears, to say she had TT on the phone for 40 minutes and they had persuaded her to sign up for Fibre 150, the g.fast service presumably.

she’s almost 80 years old, is possibly suffering the onset of dementia; she  has one tablet, a sky box and family members devices connected to her internet when they visit. Why on earth would she need 150Mbps of internet speed!?

worse, she claims she was told it was a no brainer as she was getting more for the same price. In fact, having just checked her online account, there is indeed a pending order for Fibre 150 for £29.95 on a new 18 month contract (but no way to cancel it), yet she is currently paying £23.50 until 2023 after securing a discount for her when we signed up earlier this year, having left Sky who were also useless in dealing with her account.

this is lamentable and cynical sales targeting of a vulnerable elderly lady without a proper needs assessment, that she would be unable to make. She is now fearful of the engineer visit and what it may entail 

I would appreciate if someone could respond so we can get this sorted, and no, she is unable to come on the phone line to do this herself, as it will simply cause more mental stress.

unless this is resolved ASAP, I will also be contacting the appropriate bodies to complain and escalate this story to the press as an example of the router of sales tactics employed to promote faster fibre to the masses.

12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

The complaint manager will feedback the experience, the order has been 100% cancelled.

dapling
Team Player
Message 2 of 13

That's good news, thanks.

I have a screenshot of the Preferences section of my mother in law account, which shows that the Telephone contact box was definitely unchecked i.e. contact only by other methods. My M-I-L is unable to make decisions on her own about financial matters and I am hugely disappointed that you cold called her to sell a new contract (she would have signed up for anything to get your agent off the phone after 45 minutes), not least the fact you sold SuperSafe Boost at £4pm to an elderly lady with one tablet device and a connected Sky box for downloads / streaming, hardly appropriate and not something for which she had any comprehension.

Finally, we worryingly received a text today confirming an engineer installation visit.  Please reconfirm that order for Fibre 150 is now cancelled and the engineer will not call.

Thanks

Message 3 of 13

Hi dapling

Sorry for the delay.  

A complaint is open so it is being managed by a complaint manager, I can confirm that as of yesterday (17th) the upgrade was cancelled.

Regards

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 4 of 13

I'll re-escalate this thread for you, @dapling, so it should be picked up again in the next day or two. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

I still await a response to this issue. Please advise, thanks.

0 Likes

dapling
Team Player
Message 6 of 13

Ideally the upgrade just needs cancelled ASAP and an apology issued. Otherwise the complaints team could call me directly, once we get the Nominated User form submitted. What on earth are your sales team even doing calling her unless there is an issue!?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Thank you, I will need to log this to one of our complaint managers, will she be comfortable taking a call from them? 

0 Likes

dapling
Team Player
Message 8 of 13

Of her account, you mean? Done, many thanks!

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi @dapling 

Sorry to read of this,  Can you add the landline number of the account to your private notes section of your profile and we can investigate. 

Thank you

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 10 of 13

@dapling, for any problems with her service in future, it's worth adding details in her My Account, to prioritise help:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Registering-your-accessibility-requirements/ta-p/258302...

It's also worth setting up the following for the long term:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Power-of-Attorney-Authority-to-Act/ta-p/2205181

More immediately, please ensure that you have added your mother-in-law's details to the Private Notes section of your community forum profile. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; from the drop down menu that starts with "email" choose Personal Information. Ensure your own details are correct in there. At the end of that section, in Private Notes add her name, address, account number and landline number and best fallback phone number. SAVE CHANGES. 

It can take a few days to get a reply from TT staff on this board. There's a queue for attention and they work from oldest to newest posts, Monday to Friday. Please look out for a reply before posting further, to help move the thread along and reach them sooner. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

dapling
Team Player
Message 11 of 13

Whilst she has the right to cancel, which we will be attempting to trigger, TT have typically required her to speak to them directly.  they have never explained how to set up a nominated user and this is not an online option for some reason. Phoning to cancel is more stress for her, remembering that they cold called her in the first place and she only agreed to something to get them off the phone and for it to stop...

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Sorry to hear this, but she does have the right to cancel within 20 days. This does generally need to be done directly by the account holder, wait and see what the support team advise.

0 Likes