Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Account Has Suddenly Changed

piston
Philosopher
Message 10 of 10

Renewed my bog standard 4mbps broad band service in Jan 2021 (for 12 months) and it has bobbled along nicely, still 4-5 Mbps a couple of days ago.

Did a speed test this pm and got 30-ish Mbps download and upload way faster than 4Mbps download a couple of days ago! Nice but ...

Just logged into my account and find my service is now listed as Fibre 35 at £22 per month until Jan 2022. I haven't asked for this, it's just been changed overnight! By whom and why?

Are TT now altering accounts without asking (plausible) or by mistake (quelle surprise) or is the Account system breached (yet again!!)? Needless to say TT cannot be contacted in a hurry (as ever) despite  unexplained Account changes being a potentially serious matter. What is going on?

I'm delighted that FTC can make such a difference and am happy with extra bang for no more bucks but not if some child with an SQL toy is playing with the accounts system.

'I can hear music coming out of my printer. I think the paper’s jammin’ again'
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 2 of 10

Hi Arne, long time...

Thanks for the reply, good to see you're still in harness.

It was a missed opportunity for TT to gain some much needed positive PR by bringing  "upgrading lines at no extra cost" to customers' notice. Ah well, plus ca change...

Take care,

P.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi @piston 

I will pass on your feedback we are upgrading lines at no extra cost. 

Sorry for any confusion.

0 Likes

piston
Philosopher
Message 4 of 10

Ah...thanks folks. 

' The communication around this programme could doubtless have been better.' was a generous sentiment. Never a mention of this being even pending, despite the monthly 'your TT bill is ready' often having jolly snippets of price-change news etc included.

Typical TT: If they can make a pig's ear out of something then they surely will.

Just as well the forum soldiers on or else there would be no customer service at all!

Regards

P

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 10

No issues with that at all @Birchcroft , perhaps I was just alarmed at your use of the somewhat tabloid headline-esque "stripping out," when "switching off" is the Openreach term.   🙂

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 6 of 10

@ferguson true they do want us to carry using phones a bit longer (although some might say they aren't too worried as people are moving away from landlines to mobiles), but they are striping out the copper backbone to the cabinets, hence the move to FTTC.

By April 2022, not to far away, Copper products will not be available in 221 locations and from Sept 2023 they will only provide digital phones across the UK.

Also current policy is that when 75% of the homes and businesses connected to a particular exchange can get Full Fibre you won’t be able to buy their old copper products if Full Fibre is available at your premises, this includes Gfast, Superfast Fibre and Standard Broadband. 

More information can be found here.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 7 of 10

They are not quite "stripping out" copper just yet @Birchcroft , I guess they want our existing phonelines to carry on working a little longer, along with the run from the cabinet to the home.  🙂

0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 8 of 10

TalkTalk are in the process of retiring their Copper Network and moving customers onto FTTC (Due to Openreach striping out Copper from the exchanges).

Most of the posts about this have been from longstanding customers who have been sent a new router out of the blue and been told they will loose their service if they don't use the new router.  Your post is the first I recall seeing where you have just noticed the change without any prior notification of any sort, presumably because the router they supplied you was capable of supporting FTTC so they didn't see the need to say anything 😁  It doesn't surprise me though as TalkTalk have said elsewhere they are unable to tell individual customers exactly when their line will be switched.

I would say that in general Communications regarding the move to FTTC could/should have been better.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

TalkTalk have been upgrading customers from ADSL to FTTC at no change in cost, or contract. The forums have quite a few bemused posters who have reported this. Most were advised in advance, but it does seem to be a case of told, rather than asked. The communication around this programme could doubtless have been better.