Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharged, as anticipated several weeks ago...renewed on Faster Fibre at £19.95 but charged at £30

aolmum
Problem Solver
Message 21 of 21

Trust an OCE can sort this out for me, and hopefully before my Direct Debit is taken on or about the 7th of January, thanks.

As anticipated several weeks ago, see post 8 on thread https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Pre-empting-a-potential-upgrade-problem-order-pl... , my first billing date since upgrading to Fibre broadband is today, and charges for both the month in advance and the alterations to last month's charges, are incorrectly based on a figure of £30 per month, rather than the £19.95 offer I placed my order at (I also mentioned this would likely happen on post 3 at thread https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Billing-Your-account-MyTalkTalk/Renewed-Faster-Fibre-at-19-95-bu... ).

First linked thread has relevant screenshots taken at time of placing order and clearly showing £19.95.

It is a pity this couldn't have been sorted when I first mentioned the problem, rather than me now having to ask for help in getting it sorted, when we are in a holiday period. It is also a pity that this is a known problem (as reported by several others recently, as well as myself), yet is continuing to affect billing.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 2 of 21

Thank you. Credit now showing in my transaction history.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Message 4 of 21

@Arne-TalkTalk 

Some of the previously mentioned figures were approximate, but as I am still waiting for a reply to yesterday's post, I've now worked out more accurate figures (give or take a penny or so when rounded up/down). Ok, here goes, in simplified format:

Original Package     -   Fast  Broadband @ £17.00 until 29th Nov

Upgraded Package -   Faster Fibre         @ £19.95 from 30th Nov

Billing Date               -.  28th of month

Billing Period .          -.  28th to 27th month in advance

28th November - Bill. £17

28th December - Bill should have been £22.70

(being £19.95 charge in advance + £2.75* changes last month)

instead was charged £42.15

so this  less £22.70

equals  £19.45 overcharged

Notified you of overcharge and received £10.05 credit and assured balance of overcharge would be made via adjustment to Jan 28th Bill.

Balance due being £19.45 - £10.05   .   =   £9.45

Credit in Jan 28th bill albeit incorrect**  = £6.27

Therefore amount still owed to me      = £3.18 

* calculated as (2/30 x £17 plus 28/30 x £19.95) less £17 paid in advance

**rather than correcting last months overcharge, this seems to be an adjustment due to you changing my contract dates when trying to resolve original overcharge

Realise this post may push thread further down workflow queue, but felt it was necessary to show detailed figures. That said, trusting it will not be overlooked as I am still, as I have said before, out of pocket through a Talk Talk mistake from last month.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

@aolmum I have merged this with your earlier topic for continuity and ease of reference.

0 Likes

aolmum
Problem Solver
Message 6 of 21

Hello @Arne-TalkTalk 

Thread re last month's billing error for reference https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Billing-Your-account-MyTalkTalk/Overcharged-as-anticipated-sever....

At 28th December, I was overcharged (due to a Talk Talk error), by approximately £20/21 in total (being £10.05 overcharge for Faster Fibre 28th December to 27th January and the balance of overcharge being the overcharge in the  "last month's changes" section of the 28th December bill).  The bill, including overcharges, was automatically paid by DD on 7th January.

You then refunded me partially, by raising a £10.05 credit to my account, and stated the remaining overpayment would be refunded by automatic adjustment to my 28th January bill.

28th January Bill now available to view:

Correctly states £19.95 due, in advance,  for 28th January to 27th February, so this has been sorted.

Then it shows a 'last months changes' credit of £6.27, rather than the expected amount of c£10 or so. The £6.27 seems to have been calculated from when you intervened to sort the initial overcharge/payment problem, on 9th January, rather than from when the overcharge arose, 28th December billing date.

Please check and advise when the outstanding amount of just under £4 will be refunded to me

Incorrect 'last month's amendment charges' as at 28 Dec bill.Incorrect 'last month's amendment charges' as at 28 Dec bill.

Screenshot_2019-01-28-13-34-14.png

Message 7 of 21

@Arne-TalkTalk wrote:

Now in order to add the correct discounts for the deal you agreed to,  then the contract end date had to change and the letter was generated automatically, However I have rolled the date back and your contract end date is still 29/05/2020. 

Hello again @Arne-TalkTalk

In this instance, I actually would have had no problem with the contract end date changing, had it been explained from the start, when you intervened to correct the overcharge, that you needed to do this, and had I been asked if I would accept a new contract end date and had I agreed to it.

My problem was, you did not mention this at all and gave no explanation, therefore, when the email and then letter arrived,  I had no understanding of how I could have a new contract which I personally had not been made aware of nor agreed to, after all, a contract needs at least two parties -  one offering it, and one accepting it. I, and I'm sure most customers in my position, would have expected that correcting a pricing error could have been achieved without commencing a new contract. Certainly, I don't think an ombudsman would look favourably on any company changing a customer's contract end date without firstly having the customer's agreement.

Thank you, however, for rolling the date back to the end date of the contract I did originally agree to.

All that remains now, is to see if I am refunded correctly at my next billing date for the part of my overpayment that remains outstanding.

Whilst you have again stated that this is the only way this part of the overpayment can be refunded, I obviously remain disappointed that myself, or any customer, should be expected to be out of pocket for an extended period (ie until next billing date), in respect of an overcharge (and associated overpayment), that was clearly due to an error on Talk Talk's part, and think that going forward, this aspect of correcting Talk Talk errors needs to be reviewed and a better system put in place that would enable a customer to receive their own money back in as short a timescale as possible after the error has been brought to Talk Talks attention, and without any associated need to change contract dates either. This would be good practice and good customer service too. 

Message 8 of 21

Hi aolmum

As already advised the overcharge will be returned automatically when you next bill is generated. 

Now in order to add the correct discounts for the deal you agreed to,  then the contract end date had to change and the letter was generated automatically, However I have rolled the date back and your contract end date is still 29/05/2020. 

Regards

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 9 of 21

When mine was incorrectly charged, the correction was sent out as a new contract letter and the adjustment appeared on my next bill. 

This is what I think has happened to you. It's a standard letter whether you spoke or wrote as here.

My bill was corrected and I paid a very low amount the next month. Once a bill has been issued it can't be amended until the next billing cycle.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

With all due respect @Arne-TalkTalk and @StephenF, could one of you kindly let me know what is going on?

Obviously, I am still awaiting replies to my questions in posts 10 and 11 above, but today, in the post, I have receive a letter from TalkTalk, dated 9th January, saying:

"Here you'll see the changes we've made to your TalkTalk package when you spoke to a member of our team."

it goes on to say:

"A new 18 month contract applies to your package."

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but the only recent 'speaking' I have done with a TalkTalk team member is here on this thread (so in writing, rather than spoken).

This was to hopefully resolve the issue of incorrect charges having been made at Billing on 28th December and me then, through no fault of my own, being financially 'out of pocket' on 7th January, as almost double the correct amount of money was taken from my bank account via DD (this having so far been partially resolved by a credit for approximately half the overcharge).

The incorrect figures at Billing on 28th December were brought about not by my fault, but rather  by TalkTalk's fault. That is to say, TalkTalk accepted my upgrade from Fast Broadband to Faster Fibre at a package price of £19.95 in November, yet proceeded to subsequently bill me, on 28th Dec (being for both the difference in package costs for the month just past and the package cost for month in advance) based on an incorrect package price of £30.

My contract for Faster Fibre was agreed and accepted, at £19.95, on 18th November and my Faster Fibre service began at the end of November. I have not asked for or agreed to any new contract for Faster Fibre since then.

I already asked at the end of reply 11 above "does this mean the end date for my Faster Fibre Broadband has been changed as a result of you correcting the Talk Talk pricing errors? ".

If it does, I would now ask, why, especially when I believed that all that was happening was a TalkTalk pricing mistake was being corrected, and at no point was it suggested (or asked of me), that I was agreeing to a new 18 month contract from the date the correction (to something that was not my fault), was made ?

If it hasn't been changed, then why was I sent an email and letter, saying a new 18 month contract applies? Surely, and more appropriately, an email and/or letter saying 'we have corrected our mistakes' would have been more appropriate and accurate.

Message 11 of 21

Hello @Arne-TalkTalk

I see you seem to have caught up with most folks recent/outstanding queries on this board now, so clarification for the questions raised in my last post above would be appreciated.

In addition, and confusingly, I received an email on Tuesday 8th, presumably as a result of you working on the price discrepancy, which stated:

"You are now on a new 18-month contract."

does this mean the end date for my Faster Fibre Broadband has been changed as a result of you correcting the Talk Talk pricing errors? 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Hello again, @Arne-TalkTalk

Ok, just to make sure I have understood correctly, the £10.05 credit you have raised today is actually for the "last month's changes" overcharge (ie for the period 30 Nov to 27 Dec)?  If yes, thank you for sorting this part of the total overcharge at least.  I have now raised a request via my account for this to be paid back to my bank account.

So, I will still be out of pocket by the £10.05 that has also been overcharged (and already debited from my bank account) for the "charges in advance" (ie for the period 28 Dec to 27 Jan),  and this will not be paid back to me until next month's bill (28th Jan billing date/ 7th Feb DD date), is adjusted to clear the Dec to Jan overcharge, even though the mistake was Talk Talks, not mine? 

In addition, the 28th Jan bill will then show the correct "charges in advance" of £19.95 for Jan to Feb (and each month thereafter)?

It does seem unfair to leave someone out of pocket for a month, when it was not their mistake. 

Thank you, though, for sorting the free Anytime Calls, it is appreciated.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hi @aolmum

Because they where advance charges your next bill will have the over payments in the December bill I cant credit them back as it will be done automatically. 

I will re-add the boost discount today.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hello @Arne-TalkTalk

Thanks for ensuring I get the 18 months @ £19.95 deal that I upgraded on.

I've just gone into my account, though, and can see you have raised a £10.05 credit, but that only covers my month in advance charge (ie Dec to Jan).

As I said in my opening post of this thread, my Fibre went live at the end of November (the day after my November bill for Fast broadband), so my December bill also included an adjustment charge (headed last month's changes) for the period from my Novemer bill to my December bill which was also calculated on the incorrect £30 price, so a credit is also needed to correct that too.

Overall, as at December billing date, I was overcharged by c£20/22 or thereabouts.

Re the free 18 months Anytime Calls boost. Thank you for agreeing to sort this too. Rather than my relying on remembering to get back to you in November, please just go ahead with your second option of re-adding it from today.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Hi @aolmum 

Ive amended the discount to ensure that you get the 19.95 deal as agreed. In relation to the end date of the unlimited calls free discount, Unfortunately I cant amend the end date of the discount so there are 2 options 

1. on or near,  the current end date (2.11.19) post here An I can re-add the remaining 6 months free discount 

2. I can re-add the boost discount today making the end date 18 months from today

Let me know. 

Message 16 of 21

Hi @aolmum  Happy new year to you also.  

I will get onto this today.

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 17 of 21

Hi @aolmum, I have escalated again and hopefully you will get an answer soon

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 18 of 21

Hello and Happy New Year @Arne-TalkTalk

Hope you enjoyed your break. As no OCE has been replying to posts on this board whilst you have been away, some customer queries from before you went off have dropped back, although I see you have been answering other more recent queries today (even if those queries have had no financial impact on the customer posting them).

Could you possibly also have a look at some of the older ones, please, especially if there is a potential financial impact, as some folks, like myself, are now 'out of pocket' financially (eg my monthly DD was lifted today, at almost double what it should have been)?

Thanks, in hope.

ps 

My situation was similar to the customer on thread https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Billing-Your-account-MyTalkTalk/Problem-with-bill/m-p/2286214#M2... . When I was intending to renew/upgrade, there was an offer which was originally including 18 months free Anytime Calls Boost too, but I was having repeated problems trying to get this to apply, as the offer kept changing once clicked through (possibly because I was already on a free boost). As I was wary of removing my existing boost and re trying, I gave up, intending to hopefully get it sorted afterwards, but forgot to do so. In post 6 of that thread, you were able to sort this for the customer, so that their free Anytime Calls boost now runs to same end date as their Faster Fibre. At moment, my Free Anytime calls boost is showing as running until November 2019, whereas my Faster Fibre is running until six months after that.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

@fr8ys

@fr8ys wrote:

Each thread is owned by the original poster and help can only be given to that person per thread.

The OCE will sort this for you, but not be able to adjust your bill as this has now been produced.

Any adjustments will be on your next bill, so you will have a small amount to pay in February. This happened to me so I am talking from experience.

I have escalated to an OCE for a response next week.

I am the original person who posted the first thread I have referenced.

The difference in my case is around £20, so not a particularly small amount to many people, especially at a particularly costly time of year (Christmas/New Year), in other areas of spending.

With all due respect, and especially given the problem has been raised several times over the past month or so, by numerous customers, no one who availed of the particular £19.95 Faster Fibre offer should be continuing to receive bills on the incorrect basis and then be expected to wait for a refund. The 'problem' is the fault of and known to Talk Talk and there has been time, in many cases, for the 'problem' to be fixed/corrected, and certainly before most bills were due.

Anyhow, thanks for escalating, it is appreciated.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

Each thread is owned by the original poster and help can only be given to that person per thread.

The OCE will sort this for you, but not be able to adjust your bill as this has now been produced.

Any adjustments will be on your next bill, so you will have a small amount to pay in February. This happened to me so I am talking from experience.

I have escalated to an OCE for a response next week.

0 Likes