Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Increase during fixed price contract

swaish
Chat Champion
Message 411 of 411

I am 13 months into a two year fixed cost contract. I have today received an email advising my monthly costs will be increasing by £2 a month; not a vast amount of money but unexpected.

Can TalkTalk increase costs during a fixed cost contract? If so can I terminate the contract without penalty? Pleased with the service overall but there are some keen offers around and it may be worth me moving.

Swaish

410 REPLIES 410

Message 121 of 411

@davep wrote:

Received my email today.  Hopefully yesterday's call will be honoured - £28 credit to my account.

I would have hoped all would have been offered the same if they called, but obviously not.

Try my method of email to Ms Harrison.  I got a text shortly after, followed by a phone call a couple of hours later. 

I have followed your advice and sent an email.

I have outlined the fact that I was previously a satisfied customer but disappointed with the change in contract terms, and that others had been given a credit yet I find myself roped into a new contract for Fibre (when ADSL is all I need) paying more than if I had even just done nothing and accepted the £2 per month increase in my old contract.

We'll see what happens.

Message 122 of 411

0345 172 0088

0203 441 5550

0 Likes

0912sfn
First Timer
Message 123 of 411

Hi

I've just put in my details to move house and my fixed price contract has been increased!!!! Not only this but it says we are paying for tv and we've never been sent a tv box!!! Feel scammed and angry as hell that there was no warning of a price increase before I signed up to move house! Also, why on earth can't I speak to a human being on the phone? I don't want to air my issues on a public forum!!! Where are the phone numbers so I can discuss this in private?!? Also, can I leave now you've conned me into a 24 month contract I don't want?!?

0 Likes

Sparkyman2
First Timer
Message 124 of 411

Well it took a 30 minute call to TalkTalk customer services and an upgrade to a manager but finally got a £24 credit (£2 x 12 months) credited to my account.  Also got an email confirmation. It really should not come down to this.

0 Likes

stevieboy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 125 of 411

it's definitely worth calling.
I tried to get a new deal/credit over chat last Friday and got nowhere..... I was on chat for 1 hour and 45mins. Monday I called the loyalty number and after 10mins i asked to be put through to disconnections. I explained the situation and that I was ready to go to Plusnet as they could give me the same (Fiber 65) for £22 per month (including the gift card credit etc). That's when they started to offer the good deals. They were able to beat that price on an 18 month contract and offer a credit to the account. No increase until April 2022 so the price increase would have to go up by 50%+ in April 2022 for me to be worse off.

The good deals exist. You just need to play it cool and maybe mention Plusnet 🙄 🤣

Greenwood
Conversation Starter
Message 126 of 411

Like many others I got the email despite being on a fixed price contract, I called to discuss options, wasn't offered any sort of credit or deal and that I could take a new contract at £26 for 35mb with no tv etc so I cancelled and have gone to Virgin who have a deal provided in this thread for 100mb at the equivalent of £21 a month. I know virgin get a hard time but the router has arrived, speed is approx 110mb and the hub options via app are quite good (certainly being able to set up a guest network is a bonus)

Since cancelling I've had 2 very decent offers via email and letter which had they'd been offered on the phone pre-cancellation I'd likely have accepted but I suppose that's the game. Both the letter and email say to discuss the offers via the number I called to cancel so I don't know whether they'd be honoured but you'd hope so. Logging into my account gives no such options anywhere near the prices in the letter and email.

I've also received a cancellation charge which I shouldn't have according to the email and have raised another thread on here awaiting action.

Good luck to those renegotiating, as commented on here already perhaps if they'd let contracts expire and introduce the new prices & terms into new contracts they'd not have received such negativity.

0 Likes

Message 127 of 411

Received my email today.  Hopefully yesterday's call will be honoured - £28 credit to my account.

I would have hoped all would have been offered the same if they called, but obviously not.

Try my method of email to Ms Harrison.  I got a text shortly after, followed by a phone call a couple of hours later.  Despite how you feel, try to be nice to the caller.

Other providers are passing on similar increases so how long the benefit of moving will last is unknown.  My bill is less than I paid BT for phone and line only some 20 years ago.  Bring back Freeserve!!!!!  Do we really need the extraordinary speeds some seem to get?  My 2.2 meg is quite adequate.

Good luck!

text of my email:

from community:

Hi TalkTalk or community.

I've received suspicious email saying about £2 price increase my TalkTalk Fibre Broadband.

It CANNOT be true as I've received email 9th Sep 2020 -  update from Tristia Harrison CEO - saying " guarantee of no mid-contract broadband price rises, so you'll only ever pay the price you signed up to."

Many on community are unhappy about this.  I now know what the T&C’s say.  As you appear to have lied, would it not be right to resign?

Message 128 of 411

This really leaves a nasty taste. Talk about 'destroying your brand' for the sake of a few extra pennies.

It's a blatant stick up...  "gimme your £2, or *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* off,  hahaha, good luck with the hassle of finding other providers in the middle of a pandemic"

Oh well, I will look to move but even if unsuccessful, Talktalk will just be a tool to achieve internet connection in the short term, no loyalty from me, and a 'zero' in any customer satisfaction survey henceforth. The link of trust is irretrievably broken. 

Oh well. Honest,  I could Iive with the one year advance notice of the CPI + x% increase as I have time to assess my options, and unlikely to move if it is something commonly adopted by the broadband 'cartel' we seem to have sleepwalked into.

The (UK) regulator is useless and gone are the days we could rely on some obscure EU regulation for protection. 

MS

Message 129 of 411

@Birchcroft wrote:

Based on my experience and what others have mentioned on other threads you should be able to get a credit equivalent to £2/m for the remainder of your contract by talking to the loyalty team.  

I tried that after seeing a few people claim they did this but it didn't work for me. That would have been a great result.

0 Likes

Message 130 of 411

Based on my experience and what others have mentioned on other threads you should be able to get a credit equivalent to £2/m for the remainder of your contract by talking to the loyalty team or CEO's Office.  So it probably comes down to what deal you can get that meets your needs and which company you are happy with.   Given that your on the forum you are probably aware that, despite your own experience, there are people who do not rate TalkTalk but of course Virgin were recently rated as the most complained about broadband provider, but undoubtedly the have quite a few happy customers.

So basically if your TalkTalk contract has a long time to run and you can get a package elsewhere which better meets your cost/performance requirements then you have the opportunity to jump ship without penalty.  But if your current package meets your needs and your happy to stay to the end then negotiate your "credit" , stay and negotiate when your renewal is due.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 131 of 411

well i have just received the same email 10 minutes after my monthly bill, so like everyone else in this predicament, do i pay the extra £2 even though TT have broken there own contract, or do i bin them and go elsewhere, the upside i have for TT apart from a dodgy modem which i replaced with a better one at my expense, i have never really suffered any outages, all the time i was with sky prior to TT i had a full week of no internet due to the floods like 150 mile away from me but that what sky told me, and randomly loosing internet, never had an issue with PlusNet another one is Virgin media have just cabled our area and everyone is going on how good they are (supposedly) and getting a good deal due to being a new area, so decision time i suppose 

0 Likes

Message 132 of 411

The problem with regulators is that they move at glacial speed. In my opinion it is one thing to index link prices to inflation, quite another to add a random number on top. Maybe they will get around to it eventually, by which time TalkTalk and all the others happily writing  this into their contracts will have made many extra £Ms and will then come up with some new creative stunts to squeeze everything they can out of us.

Do  remember why they are in business and that is to maximise returns for shareholders, no more, no less, That's what corporate Law requires. That's how capitalism works. Except for the occasions when some important bit of it fails and the rest of us are all expected to bail it out and pay for it, obviously, without a choice.

0 Likes

Message 133 of 411
As well as speaking to the CEO's Office, where the staff are pleasant but constrained in what the can do, ( IE offer a £2/m credit for the remaining period of one's contact and repeat the sorry but we had no choice mantra ) I've also sent a complaint to the Competition and Market Authority. However I don't really expect anything to happen as the CMA don't respond to individuals, rather the just compile complaints and decide whether or not to do anything, so they will probably just take their time to decide to do nothing like most regulators. So it's no wonder that companies can get away with morally reprehensible practices given the risk of consequences is low.
0 Likes

Message 134 of 411

@davep wrote:

I reckon the staff are really brassed off with this one that's effectively been dumped on them by idiots at the top.

I suspect you're right. All they had to do was to let existing Fixed Price Plan contracts run their course and then introduce the annual increases thereafter. Then they wouldn't have found themselves in the impossible situation of defending the breaking of a guarantee. 

Message 135 of 411

Following my email to Ms Harrison, I got a call from a lady at the CEO's office.  I wasn't that bothered about it so gave her a very easy time, apart from putting the point about "no increases" and my thought that the CEO should resign.  Got a credit of £2 / month of my account remaining (14 months) so a bit of a result if you look at it that way.  I reckon the staff are really brassed off with this one that's effectively been dumped on them by idiots at the top.

The company was supposed to be going private, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Hope everyone gets as easy an outcome.

Message 136 of 411

Yes I did - WHOLE Scotland Council Tax freeze - why?!

0 Likes

the_bart123
First Timer
Message 137 of 411

OH MY GOD!

So that email I've received today (mid term price increase) despite CEO email September 2020 cursing quote "guarantee of no mid-contract broadband price rises, so you'll only ever pay the price you signed up to." ......... was not a joke.

Oh wait - even REAL SCAMMERS got some rules.

This is SCAM on new level.

Message 138 of 411

@davep, it will probably arrive soon and kick in on the first day of your billing cycle. 

As I pointed out, this meant it was not the full minimum 30 days, and a note is now supposedly allowing me a couple of extra days to make up my mind.

Not that that is actually much use, as the bill will come in with the extra £2.00 automatically applied to the new bill in April.

I suppose it gives me 2 more days to leave without termination fees, if I choose to.

So, an adjustment was made but not a proper apology for not allocating 30 days in the first place. Very poor.

They do whatever they think they can get away with.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 139 of 411

Yes, my Council Community Charge increased by 4.2% which is less than the 10% being imposed by TalkTalk. The main difference is of course I don’t have a fixed cost contract with my local authority which I did with TalkTalk.

In the end TalkTalk have credited my account with an amount equivalent to the price increase across my remaining contract period.

Message 140 of 411

@Birchcroft   If it starts April they won't be giving me due notice.

I just read this:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Let-s-beat-the-scammers-together/Is-2-mid-term-price-increase-SC...

I was moved to email the CEO and suggest she resigns for lying.  It won't have any effect but bookies and golf courses closed so I've got time!!!