Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Increase during fixed price contract

swaish
Chat Champion
Message 414 of 414

I am 13 months into a two year fixed cost contract. I have today received an email advising my monthly costs will be increasing by £2 a month; not a vast amount of money but unexpected.

Can TalkTalk increase costs during a fixed cost contract? If so can I terminate the contract without penalty? Pleased with the service overall but there are some keen offers around and it may be worth me moving.

Swaish

413 REPLIES 413

Message 181 of 414

@TallTrees I don't think it's controversial. It is easy to take these actions and activities from TalkTalk personally. They are not. They are the result of cold-hearted business decisions and inadequate staffing levels. I find that if I need to contact customer services, even if feeling aggrieved, that a controlled and polite approach on my own part tends to be rewarded in kind. 

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 182 of 414

Hi @Gliwmaeden2 

Probably controversial here at the moment, but in the defence of "Chat" I negotiated my new contract in August 2020 in a pandemic with shortage of staff etc. and I found "Chat" to be very helpful very courteous ~ I didn't get cut off and they told me when they needed to leave me once or maybe twice and apologised upon return ~ I didn't find it very long.

It must be more than stressful now for agents in  "Chat"  with angry TalkTalk customers.

More than ever people need to be considerate of one another everyone is stressed.

Happiness is Bee shaped

Message 183 of 414

@alared, yes, they can be incredibly slow.

I've seen hours of my life slip away while trying to negotiate my contract in the past, which is why I am not looking forward to having to contact them again so soon after renewing!

If they are dealing with more than one customer at a time, it's asking for more mistakes and muddles to be made!

And the annoying thing is that they tick us off if we take more than 30 seconds to reply! It can be impossible to finish a full sentence sometimes. 

Very rude of them, and I have sometimes told them that it's a bit rich when they have not given me time to reply, but have taken so long to get back to us!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 184 of 414

I agree that webchat email is hit and miss, although I did get mine on Thursday, using Chrome.

I always take copy and paste or snapshots as I go along.

I`ve found you have got plenty of time to kill chatting to TT because it always takes so long between replies.

I sometimes wonder if their "advisors" are web-chatting to 2 or 3 people at the same time.

0 Likes

Message 185 of 414

@John_G wrote:

@AllyM 

Yes, ISPs can pay Openreach more for a higher service level.  See here

I don't know what level TalkTalk pay for compared to Zen, I suppose they may keep such information confidential.

Yes, they can and do pay more different SLAs, but this is around business services and does not affect us mere mortals in the domestic consumer sector. Read your own link. 

0 Likes

Message 186 of 414

@AllyM 

Yes, ISPs can pay Openreach more for a higher service level.  See here

I don't know what level TalkTalk pay for compared to Zen, I suppose they may keep such information confidential.

0 Likes

Message 187 of 414

Openeach are a problem, not the problem.  The problem is customers want, but not necessarily need, the higest possible performance backed up by the best possible customer service while paying next to nothing for it, thus everything is cut to the bone.  It's a bit like expecting to get a Mercedes S-Class for the price of Dachia, it just doesn't happen.

@ferguson This is where the relevance of Zen comes in.  Yes they are small which in some ways makes it easier to provide good customer service but one of the reasons they are small is that they do not really choose to compete on price, rather to go for providing a quality service and in order to do so they need to charge appropriately.  Of course If they grew to the size of TalkTalk or Plusnet its a reasonable bet that they would see declining levels of customer satisfaction and service.

0 Likes

Message 188 of 414

@AllyM wrote:

@ferguson wrote:

Nope. Wholesale prices are regulated. 

And they couldn't possibly be giving backhanders?

I seem to remember you accusing me of being silly one time. What kind of leverage do you imagine that a small ISP like Zen has? They are charging high retail prices to fulfil their particular niche. Openreach are the problem. 

0 Likes

Message 189 of 414

@ferguson wrote:

And they couldn't possibly be giving backhanders?

0 Likes

Message 190 of 414

0 Likes

Message 191 of 414

Do some ISPs perhaps pay Openreach more money to get a higher priority service from them, and pass that on in higher package prices for end users?

0 Likes

Message 192 of 414

@Nexster wrote:

I have been with Zen athlough we are going back some years now.

I wouldnt think twice about recommending them or going back myself if money was no object.

But when I switched from them to TalkTalk as at the time they had just enabled LLU at my exchange my monthly bill halved.

They were good but not that good.

At the end of the day it’s the same network. I guess their customers are paying premium prices for better customer service in the sense that it must be quicker and easier to get in touch. If there are any real issues though they still have to go back to Openreach. 

0 Likes

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 193 of 414

I have been with Zen athlough we are going back some years now.

I wouldnt think twice about recommending them or going back myself if money was no object.

But when I switched from them to TalkTalk as at the time they had just enabled LLU at my exchange my monthly bill halved.

They were good but not that good.

0 Likes

Message 194 of 414

@Birchcroft  I don't disagree with much of what you say, other than that Zen had 120,000 customers as of June last year, so not really relevant in these comparisons. 

0 Likes

Message 195 of 414

@ferguson  Crap is of course a subjective term, and doubtless there will be support for that view but by the same token all the major broadband companies have a large number of customers, the silent majority, who are content with the service they get and see no reason to complain.  Those customers tend not to come into contact with customer service and therefore how good/bad it is is not relevant to them. 

So while the main point of competition for broadband companies is price there will be a race to the bottom when it comes to them investing in things like good customer service, and of course as you point out ultimately most of them are dependent on OR and the quality of its network and service.  That said aledgedly there are companies out there, like Zen, that provide good customer service but they tend to be a bit more expensive and I'm pretty sure even they will have some dissatisfied (ex)customers, maybe/maybe-not because of their dependency on OR.  Interestingly Zen go one better than offering no mid-contract price increases in so far as they offer a Lifetime price guarantee (with a get out clause of course😁).

My own exprience is that over many years I have had both good and bad customer service experiences with both BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Plusnet.  I would say that overall the quality of customer service depends on how realistic your complaint/requirement is, how you communicate with the person handling it and of course the freedoom they have to do something about it.  The best broadband company I have personally come across for customer service was f2s who of course were taken over by TalkTalk. 

0 Likes

Message 196 of 414

@Birchcroft So, basically, they're all crap? One day, when the dead hand of Openreach becomes a true independent network provider rather than a cash cow for BT, things may improve. 

Message 197 of 414

@NexsterI was not commenting on which company may, or may not be, the best I was just responding to @AllyM 's comment and pointing out that just because something is the best it does not have to mean it is good, it could be as the saying goes "the best of a bad bunch". 

Currently the most complained about  Broadband Provider is Vodafone ("Vodafone was the most complained-about broadband provider. Half of all these complaints were about faults, service and problems with connecting services.")  and Plusnet is the most complained about landline provider.  That said the difference in the number of  broadband complaints betwenn TalkTalk and Plusnet is only 5/100,000 so not that different really.  And of course second best in the table is EE which is part of BT just like Plusnet.

0 Likes

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 198 of 414

@Birchcroft wrote:
Best does not have to mean Good, its just less bad than the rest

Not according to Ofcom

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/telecoms-and-pay-tv-complaints-q3-2020

Plusnet currently appears to be worse.

Not suprised to be honest considering there owned by BT

0 Likes

Message 199 of 414
Best does not have to mean Good, its just less bad than the rest

Message 200 of 414

That is from a provider who claim to have won awards for best customer service 8 years in a row. And people say TalkTalk customer services are rude and unhelpful!

0 Likes