Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Increase during fixed price contract

swaish
Chat Champion
Message 414 of 414

I am 13 months into a two year fixed cost contract. I have today received an email advising my monthly costs will be increasing by £2 a month; not a vast amount of money but unexpected.

Can TalkTalk increase costs during a fixed cost contract? If so can I terminate the contract without penalty? Pleased with the service overall but there are some keen offers around and it may be worth me moving.

Swaish

413 REPLIES 413

Message 61 of 414

@AllyM wrote: I used to get about 17.5Mbps sync speed (approx 15Mbps download) on ADSL and I now get 35Mbps (33Mbps) on Fibre65.

Sounds like Fibre 35 would be a better package for your connection. No point paying for something you cannot achieve. They should have given you some expected speeds and a guaranteed minimum when going though the T&Cs. If that is not being met you can change/cancel.

0 Likes

Message 62 of 414

@Nexster wrote:

I think its a similar deal towhat AllyM got as I was offered the supersafe boost for an extra £2 a month but I declined.

Im only around 400 meters from the cabinet so I get the full 80 Meg down and 20 Meg up.

@Nexster , I can see why you think the deal looks "similar", but in reality it is a very different situation. You say you are now paying less for your package than before the price increase fiasco hit so that is a very good deal for you, but I have ended up with an "upgrade" to a package I neither wanted or needed and paying more for it. I feel I have been royally screwed over - I would have been just as well doing nothing and accepting the £2 price increase. I am supposed to be getting the Supersafe boost free but to be honest I don't even know what it is and I would rather just have more money off the package price.

I used to get about 17.5Mbps sync speed (approx 15Mbps download) on ADSL and I now get 35Mbps (33Mbps) on Fibre65. Basically, I'm paying more than you for less than half the speed. I've found out where the PCP and fibre cabinets I'm connected to are and it looks like the copper part from the house to the cabined is longer than the Fibre part from the cabinet to the exchange.

0 Likes

Message 63 of 414

Maybe if we hadn't all screwed the company over our low price deals (guilty!), the new venture capitalist owners may not have needed to increase their capital with this price increase venture.

Doesn't seem to have been very successful from what I've read on this thread!

Well done all who have been successful, good luck to others and those who left.

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 64 of 414

@ferguson wrote:

@Nexster Which number did you call? Brilliant deal that btw, very well done!

Thanks

The number is 03451725157

Message 65 of 414

@Nexster Which number did you call? Brilliant deal that btw, very well done!

0 Likes

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 66 of 414

@Gliwmaeden2 wrote:

Just saw your latest post, @Nexster.

You did really well with that! 😊

You are fortunate to be in the position that your line is capable of the upgrade. 

Many customers cannot see any improvement on their line, which was a fact I used as a bargaining chip - so I got my credit, but on the old contract. Happy with that as it gives me time to think about what to do next year.

I know I was pretty happy with that I think its a similar deal towhat AllyM got as I was offered the supersafe boost for an extra £2 a month but I declined.

I think it was at least 2004 before we could even get ADSL in my village and even then I had to have a new phone line fitted just to get the basic half a meg at the time as my old phone lines attention was just slighty to high.

Over the years it did increase to nearly 2 meg but like before it took a very long time compared to other areas to get fibre.

Then when that was avaliable Im only around 400 meters from the cabinet so I get the full 80 Meg down and 20 Meg up.

Crazy the difference over night having speeds 40 times faster then previously.

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 67 of 414

@Gliwmaeden2 wrote:

At least it's worth customers doing considerable research into the Ts&Cs and reviews of customer services before switching, and not just switching on price, @Nexster.

Not all the competitors have applied their price rise notices in quite such a ham-fisted way. 

Some allow the current package to expire and only apply the price increases to new customers and renewals. Basic customer relations nouse.

Many customers will find it easier to swallow a 3.9% + CPI increase further down the road, rather than the immediate £2.00 (approx 10% increase on a discounted package) plus the 3.7% + CPI next year. 

The difference between 3.7% and 3.9% is pretty pathetic!

At least they will be making an informed choice rather than reeling from a shock and feeling poorly treated and misled by previous assurances that their price promise was precisely that.

I totally understand what you are saying.

I dont agree with what they have done at all but at least for me they have come up with a solution that I am happy with.

I totally understand if people feel let down and want to leave because of basicaly being lied to.

I havent used BT in a very long time since the Dial Up days for line rental and they messaed up reparing a fault so bad I swore never to use them again and so far im doing well on that.

So for me that would also rule out using EE or Plusnet as there owned by BT.

Vodaphone reviews at best are no better then TalkTalks I would say and looking at the current ofcom report for complaints them and Plusnet are currenty worse.

I cant get Virgin in my area either.

So that only leaves Sky as the last of the big boys and I have been with them twice and yes the 2nd time for me at least was as huge mistake as when they did the upgrade to Fibre they missed of part of the order and left me disconnected with no phone or internet for just over a week.

I got no compensation or an apology and all they said was dont worry you dont have to start paying for it untill its live. 🙄

I left that contract 3 months early as it was cheaper to break it and come back to TalkTalk due to how much less I would be paying a month.

I get everyone situation and experience is different but for me at least the gress isnt greener on the other side.

Message 68 of 414

Just saw your latest post, @Nexster.

You did really well with that! 😊

You are fortunate to be in the position that your line is capable of the upgrade. 

Many customers cannot see any improvement on their line, which was a fact I used as a bargaining chip - so I got my credit, but on the old contract. Happy with that as it gives me time to think about what to do next year.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 69 of 414

At least it's worth customers doing considerable research into the Ts&Cs and reviews of customer services before switching, and not just switching on price, @Nexster.

Not all the competitors have applied their price rise notices in quite such a ham-fisted way. 

Some allow the current package to expire and only apply the price increases to new customers and renewals. Basic customer relations nouse.

Many customers will find it easier to swallow a 3.9% + CPI increase further down the road, rather than the immediate £2.00 (approx 10% increase on a discounted package) plus the 3.7% + CPI next year. 

The difference between 3.7% and 3.9% is pretty pathetic!

At least they will be making an informed choice rather than reeling from a shock and feeling poorly treated and misled by previous assurances that their price promise was precisely that.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 70 of 414

Just got of the phone to the retentions team.

Wasnt to bad as I got straight through to someone and was only on the phone for just under 24 mins.

Came away with a new 2 year deal.

Fiber 65 with line rental and the anytime call boost for £20 a month.

The anytime call boost is free for the 24 months so there will be no price increases on that.

Of course my price will increase next April but considering im now paying £4.50 a month less that what I was before im happy with that.

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 71 of 414

@stewartrodgers wrote:

Did not TalkTalk lie to us?

Indeed they did.

But I think personally some people are in for a rude awakening if they think its going to be different with any of the other big providers.

0 Likes

Message 72 of 414

@GORDONHASKELL Glad you are happy that Plusnet were lying to you.

Why would anybody be happy that they had been lied to⁈

~R.

Message 73 of 414

Did not TalkTalk lie to us?

Message 74 of 414

@GORDONHASKELL Glad you are happy that Plusnet were lying to you.

0 Likes

Message 75 of 414

Thank you very much for that clarification.  If things were clearer at the beginning this would not be such a stressful thing.

Message 76 of 414

I think that is helpful clarification generally as well as individually in this case, thank you @Arne-TalkTalk.

@GORDONHASKELL So it seems Plusnet are the ones who are lying: "Who would want to stay with these people!!!"

0 Likes

Message 77 of 414

@GORDONHASKELL  We can see an order to transfer your line to Plusnet, your 30 days started on the 8th so you have till the 8th of April,  However even if Plusnet delay the take over we can see the order received on the 16th and you have notified us and notes are on the account. 

So in this instance contract breakage fees are not valid. 

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 78 of 414

@John_G wrote:
@NexsterUnless things have changed, there's a 14 day "cooling off" period when switching so most switches take about 16 days from placing the order.

Ofcom don't state how long much notice you must give an ISP when leaving due to contract change. See https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints/complain-about-phones-or-internet-services/contracts

TalkTalk say "can leave without any early termination charges by the date stated in their price change email or letter.".

So, say you initiate a switch on day 20 and actually switch on day 36. I'd hope that would go through without incident. TalkTalk would know you're switching away on day 21 or 22, they're notified by the gaining provider.

Could they cease the line on day 30? Probably not, there would be an open order on it.

Could they charge you a fee for leaving after the 30 days? It doesn't seem reasonable but I suppose they could, their wording does indicate that they need you to leave by 30 (and you haven't in the above case).

Ofgem specify how this case is handled for energy switches, with Ofcom and broadband switches it seems less defined.

Looks like were thinking along the same lines.

I mean say for example you dont switch till day 36 after initiateing it on day 20 then I could understand if you were billed for those extra few days.

But like you say if you just decide to cancel your serivce on day 30 its not going to be cut off at midnight is it athlough I suppose they could put a block on your internet and phone services untill it is.

It would be very harsh on anyone who would have to physically cancel there service just because there new provider cannot switch them in time.

Message 79 of 414
@Nexster Unless things have changed, there's a 14 day "cooling off" period when switching so most switches take about 16 days from placing the order.

Ofcom don't state how long much notice you must give an ISP when leaving due to contract change. See https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints/complain-about-phones-or-internet-services/contracts

TalkTalk say "can leave without any early termination charges by the date stated in their price change email or letter.".

So, say you initiate a switch on day 20 and actually switch on day 36. I'd hope that would go through without incident. TalkTalk would know you're switching away on day 21 or 22, they're notified by the gaining provider.

Could they cease the line on day 30? Probably not, there would be an open order on it.

Could they charge you a fee for leaving after the 30 days? It doesn't seem reasonable but I suppose they could, their wording does indicate that they need you to leave by 30 (and you haven't in the above case).

Ofgem specify how this case is handled for energy switches, with Ofcom and broadband switches it seems less defined.

Message 80 of 414

@Nexster wrote:

So the reality is 30 days isnt really 30 days as for example you cant wait till day 30 then put in a request with your new provider as for me that would be classed as giving my 'notice to leave' within the time frame specified?

You have 30 days notice in which to leave without penalty. If your chosen new provider cannot switch you within that timeframe then you would haver to cancel directly. That's my understanding anyway. 

0 Likes