Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Increase during fixed price contract

swaish
Chat Champion
Message 414 of 414

I am 13 months into a two year fixed cost contract. I have today received an email advising my monthly costs will be increasing by £2 a month; not a vast amount of money but unexpected.

Can TalkTalk increase costs during a fixed cost contract? If so can I terminate the contract without penalty? Pleased with the service overall but there are some keen offers around and it may be worth me moving.

Swaish

413 REPLIES 413

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 81 of 414

Been with TalkTalk for years on good old ADSL (fast broadband) paying £17 a month and renewing every year. Sure it was slow (I only get 5Mbps), but it was reliable and all I needed.

Now out of the blue they decide to break their own T&Cs and raise the price despite promising "no price rises throughout the life of the contract"

Absolutely disgusted with these double standards. I just cancelled.  Getting disconnected 16th April.

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 82 of 414

That sounds very messy indeed.

Its been a long time since I switched providers and I cant honestly remember how long the average time takes athlough I know its not overnight.

So the reality is 30 days isnt really 30 days as for example you cant wait till day 30 then put in a request with your new provider as for me that would be classed as giving my 'notice to leave' within the time frame specified?

0 Likes

Message 83 of 414

@Nexster You have 30 days' notice to leave. It could end up being messy i.e. you can cancel within the 30 day notice period, but if your new provider cannot switch you within that period then you would need to lose your service in the interim.

0 Likes

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 84 of 414

@GORDONHASKELL wrote:

Problem is, my date is the 1 April.  There are no more choices for me to get out now.  Before is before, now is now.  Who do I beleive?  One of them is lying and I know who's lied to me before.

How long were you into your 30 day notice before you decided to switch?

Ive still not had the email regarding the price rise!

0 Likes

Message 85 of 414

@GORDONHASKELL Plusnet say TalkTalk "are not responding to their emails?" I don't know how exactly the Ofcom gaining provider led process for switching is supposed to work, but I am surprised to see that it may be that way. 1 April is the general date for price increases, is your usual billing date the first of the month?

0 Likes

Message 86 of 414

Problem is, my date is the 1 April.  There are no more choices for me to get out now.  Before is before, now is now.  Who do I beleive?  One of them is lying and I know who's lied to me before.

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 87 of 414

@GORDONHASKELL wrote:

I got an email from plusnet, they have to push back my date.  I called them.  You can't do that, I said TalkTalk will charge me £238+ if you do.  They said TT would not answer their emails about the transfer.  Called TT, chat said they were waiting for the transfer to happen.

You can see what will happen next.  I won't be able to transfer in time and will be stuck.  What a nightmare.  If only the regulators would help!

Who would want to stay with these people!!!

You make it sound like Plusnet is your only choice should you wish to switch which clearly isnt the case as there is loads of different providers.

Jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire springs to mind for me here especially consdering Plusnet has more complaints then TalkTalk currently for Phone and Broadband issues.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/telecoms-and-pay-tv-complaints-q3-2020

0 Likes

Message 88 of 414

I got an email from plusnet, they have to push back my date.  I called them.  You can't do that, I said TalkTalk will charge me £238+ if you do.  They said TT would not answer their emails about the transfer.  Called TT, chat said they were waiting for the transfer to happen.

You can see what will happen next.  I won't be able to transfer in time and will be stuck.  What a nightmare.  If only the regulators would help!

Who would want to stay with these people!!!

Message 89 of 414

Lovely.

Apparently I owe Talktalk £118.04 in early exit fees....

Or I can ring them for another 45 minutes?

All this in an email titled 'We'd Love You To Stay'. Priceless 

🤣

Message 90 of 414

@Nexster   Sorry this thread keeps getting away from me.  its possible for me to add notes, but the loyalty team can ensure the charge is waived , which I cannot do. 

Message 91 of 414

@AllyM strictly speaking not all ISPs are implementing an annual price increase.  Zen have a Lifetime Price Guarantee, of course they are more expensive than the likes of TalkTalk & Plusnet and there is a get out clause.

0 Likes

Message 92 of 414

@TallTrees wrote:

Hi @Budgie3 

Glad to hear you have had a refund to cover the unexpected charges applied from April this year. 

I  have settled with TT in the same way. I would prefer that option. 

However if that had not been  available I had thought to pay the extra until end of contract then claim that sum at the small claims court on the basis that it was not in the spirit of the agreement.

Sensibly TT are working all the options and some customers taking options for extra good deals which is excellent. 

I am sure that the Small Claims Court would wonder why you did not exercise your option to cancel?

0 Likes

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 93 of 414

Hi @Budgie3 

Glad to hear you have had a refund to cover the unexpected charges applied from April this year. 

I  have settled with TT in the same way. I would prefer that option. 

However if that had not been  available I had thought to pay the extra until end of contract then claim that sum at the small claims court on the basis that it was not in the spirit of the agreement.

Sensibly TT are working all the options and some customers taking options for extra good deals which is excellent. 

Happiness is Bee shaped
0 Likes

Message 94 of 414

@Budgie3 wrote:

Keep on to them I got a refund covering all the £2 till the end of contract. They know they are wrong and will not stand up in a court of law 

Any concessions made are ex gratia, you have the right to leave the contract within 30 days if you do not accept the change of terms, there is nothing that needs to stand up in a court of law. 

0 Likes

Message 95 of 414

Keep on to them I got a refund covering all the £2 till the end of contract. They know they are wrong and will not stand up in a court of law 

Message 96 of 414

It only applies if you have received a free replacement TV box outside of any warranty period, which seems perfectly reasonable. 

0 Likes

Message 97 of 414
That's the first time I have seen that justification.
0 Likes

Message 98 of 414

@Anonymous, quote their Ts&Cs at them:

EQUIPMENT PROVIDED BY US
7.1 To receive a service you may need to use certain necessary equipment provided by us and this
may include a router or a set top box.
7.2 All such necessary equipment will be owned by us apart from the following equipment which
you will own:
(a) any router and/or set top box that we send you as part of a new service with us; and
(b) any equipment that you have paid for.
If we choose to replace your router or set top box outside of any warranty period (which is
usually 12 months) without charging you for it, we’ll own such replacement equipment, unless
we agree otherwise.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 99 of 414

thanks i have already done that, i cannot remember if i paid £12 or £24 for it, but it was to upgrade from the free standard box to the tv plus recorder??

0 Likes

Message 100 of 414

@Anonymous If you paid for the TV box it should be yours to keep, you may wish to start your own topic in the TV section to clarify this. 

0 Likes