cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Query about boost price increase and my account.

53 REPLIES
Highlighted
clearmarble
Super Duper Contributor

Hello, just would like clarification on price increase of anytime call boost price increase.

I got an email announcing price increase but I am on an 18month contract which includes guaranteed anytime boost at "£5 for 18months" so I am expecting this to continue without price increase til the end of my contract in May 2018. Could you confirm this for me please as the email was a bit confusing. Thanks!

Community Team

Hi 

The boost price will increase, currently you have a £2.50 discount, so with this discount you will pay £6 from the 3rd of Jan.

Regards

clearmarble
Super Duper Contributor

Ok thanks. So the "£5 for 18 months" wasnt true then! That's really bad. Difficult to trust these contracts, when they are worded like that.

martswain
Insightful One
I think you will find, if you look in My Account, the boost will show as the price along with "Discount of £2.50 until *date* "

You have to go into a detailed bill to find the discount.
Martin
Community Team

Boost are not part of the fixed price plan as boosts can be removed at any time during the contract.

Sorry.

clearmarble
Super Duper Contributor

Well I was given to believe the boost would be fixed when I took out an 18month new contract and the wording was :"£5 for 18months" so I did take that to mean what it says.  It does mean I will be very wary about a further contract.

Community Team

Hi 

Do you have your order confirmation email which states this? 

clearmarble
Super Duper Contributor

Yes I do have the email.  If the price goes up I will be making a complaint.

martswain
Insightful One
Does the email specify the discount amount and period ?

As the OCE says, it is the discount that is guaranteed, not the price of the boost which can change provided TT give you the required notice.
Martin
Community Team

Can you please send a copy of it to me on a Private Message in the community.   From January the price is going up. 

clearmarble
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Arne I have tried to send copy of email to your pm. I was having difficulty so not sure if you got it ok. sorry if I made a mess of it!!

hadfieldjohn
Popular Poster
Hey Clearmarble, It's amazing that companies like TalkTalk don't seem to understand the concept of goodwill. I too will, after just two months of an 18 month contract, be seeing a reasonably significant increase to my monthly bill. It's not even really the money. It's that all the trumpets were out for the "fixed price" that turns out to only be as fixed as they want it to be - which obviously isn't fixed at all. I'll be looking to refer every "Fixed "Price" advert I see from now on to the ASA - though clearly that won't do any actual good either. They really should be *forced* to point out that the price of boosts can change whenever we feel like it. That way you can factor in the risk. I'd argue there are grounds for leaving your contract if the increase is a significant enough percentage of your bill over all. Regardless of what TT say, if your monthly call charges would be greater than RPI or the percentage change in your monthly bill by retaining the more expensive "boost" is greater than RPI then you should be allowed to cancel without penalty. The fact inflation is relatively high won't help there though. I realise the boost doesn't form part of your contract as such, but you can hardly go buy that boost from BT for example. As such it would represent a material increase in the monthly cost of your product for no additional service. Hence you could leave penalty free. I'd recommend you use resolver (https://www.resolver.co.uk/) for your complaint and just keep on following its process and not taking no for an answer. Good luck! J.
hadfieldjohn
Popular Poster
And customers would go down - but that'll be taken care of by offers I suppose. It's a real shame because the price is still not that bad, just the horrible feeling of being taken advantage of. The thing is, anyone asks me what I think of TT and it's this that will form the response rather than "it's reasonable service for reasonable money".
specop
First Timer
"Difficult to trust these contracts" Tell me, I joined TT when they first started. "Free Broadband For Life" was the deal, so switched from BT Now they are charging my bill c£20 a month more, almost 10% of my State pension.
ferguson
Community Star

@hadfieldjohn The small print does it make it clear that the Fixed Price Plans cover Broadband only, Boosts are specifically excluded. Boosts can however be cancelled at any time after the initial month.

hadfieldjohn
Popular Poster
Oh the small print. I don't doubt you.
Perhaps it should be in the big print?

But realistically I can't cancel because I can't afford to pay for calls individually. I believe it's what's known as "being over a barrel" or "between a rock and a hard place".

A 13 percent (or so) increase to something I can't realistically do without!
hadfieldjohn
Popular Poster
By the way. Does it not cover line rental as well?
ferguson
Community Star

OK, well in the "big print" it says:

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 11.17.51.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 11.18.05.png

Line rental is included in all Fixed Price Plans.

hadfieldjohn
Popular Poster
Thank you. At least I can't get turned over on line rental. And I can see now that there is a small implication that "extras" (such as being able to make calls) might not be included in the fixed. But given that's an essential part of the service it really beggars belief that the term "fixed" can apply at all. But for now, I'd encourage anyone finding this discussion to do one of two things. Agree with you that it's all spelled out clearly and fairly and they should have thought about it more carefully. Or take a chance that following TalkTalk's complaint procedure will bear fruit and possibly encourage a change in the employment of what I'd consider to be sharp practice. Or to put it another way "Shut up and pay up" or "Try to stand up for yourselves". Thanks again for the useful info.
ferguson
Community Star

"Being able to make calls" is part of the service, but all calls are chargeable, save those to other TalkTalk customers and 0800/freephone numbers. It is your responsibility to acquaint yourself with the T&Cs when you agree a contract, or take out a Boost.