Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Scam phone calls.

22 REPLIES 22
givenup
Conversation Starter

Hi, I am getting scam calls all the time. There is no point in blocking the number as it displays as different every time. Can I suggest you set up a system, that when a scam number (That doesn't exist) is reported, the system dials the number and if it comes up as unobtainable it gets automatically blocked. All the numbers I have had in the last few days start with 0138 xxxxxxx. It should not be too difficult to block a call if the incoming number doesn't exist.

In the last hour I had these scam calls:
I the space of 30 minutes I had four calls:
Yersterday I had:
01384974968 - there must be some way for talktalk to block this range of numbers?

Arne-TalkTalk
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi 

You could also try activating CallSafe , which has been proven to deter scam calls and allows you top block any number, You can read about it on our help page About CallSafe

Regards

givenup
Conversation Starter

Thank you for your suggestion but, I don't think it is reasonable to expect me to block over twenty numbers a day. I think this is something that talktalk should be finding an automated solution to.

ferguson
Community Star

CallSafe screens calls from unapproved numbers before they can get through, so if you are being plagued on the scale you mention then it must be worth a try. 

givenup
Conversation Starter

Sorry, that is not enough. I often get calls from withheld numbers, doctor, hospital, dentist etc. I also get calls from phones on individual numbers through a switchboard. There should be a way for the provider to check if a caller's number is genuine before it is put through. Call screening does not stop the problem as they just keep calling back. My answering machine allows me to screen calls.

ferguson
Community Star

Well, there isn't the "way" you suggest, sorry, all one can do is mitigate.

givenup
Conversation Starter

Sorry, I wasn't aware that you programmed telecoms systems.

ferguson
Community Star

How did you guess?

givenup
Conversation Starter

That is strange, because power diallers can be programmed to reconise the intercept "The number you have dialled has not been recognised" and move on to the next number.

ferguson
Community Star

Well why don't you move on to the next thing, rather than suggesting an imaginary solution?

givenup
Conversation Starter

You know what they say.

"If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem!"

givenup
Conversation Starter

I just got an email with the subject "Did you get the answer you needed?". There is no way to reply to the email, so I will reply here. No I did not get an answer. The suggestion made does not stop the calls and I think Talktalk can do more to prevent them.

Arne-TalkTalk
Community Team - TT Staff

Sorry that you didn't get the answer you wanted,  We introduced CallSafe in direct response to an increase in scam callers, Sorry that its not suitable to you.

Did you report the numbers into the Check and Report Site?  

givenup
Conversation Starter

Yes, I reported most of the calls, but as they display a FAKE number I can't see how it would make a difference. They just use another fake number the next time. If fake numbers were blocked automatically they could only use them once and would have to change tactics.

ferguson
Community Star

How do you imagine you can block fake numbers at a network level? That is unfortunately a major part of the problem. This is why CallSafe could be a useful tool.

givenup
Conversation Starter

I have already answered this question. Because fake numbers, when dialled, give an unobtainable signal. There is no need for any other checks, if it doesn't exist - block it.

ferguson
Community Star

How?

givenup
Conversation Starter

Why, are you authorised to investigate and put it into action?

ferguson
Community Star

No. But as you keep on about this I wonder how you imagine this could be done.

All the major telephone networks in the world are plagued by this. And devote time, energy and money into making their systems better. Sadly the criminals will continue to act in this area as they do elsewhere.

So if you have an easy solution do let them know.

givenup
Conversation Starter

OK.

When a call comes in the CLID is compared to a blocked (Black) list for all phone numbers.

If it is not on the list, it is checked against the blocked list for the recipient number.

If it is on either it is blocked.

If it is not on either and the CLID couldn't be a valid number, too many or too few digits, invalid area code etc. It should be blocked.

If the number is not blocked it is then dialled, if it returns the "number is invalid" tone (Not busy or ringing), the number gets blocked.

If the number rings or is busy the call is passed to the recipient and white listed (Until further information).

Most of the CLID's created by power diallers will fail the first three tests. If they pass, then the recipient can report the number for it to be put on a "grey list" until it meets the criteria for the black list.

If someone finds their number on the black list and wants it unblocked it should be moved to the grey list until validated (And could be blocked again).

This should block a large number of the 22% (Approx) of fake and scam calls in the UK.

I know it is not a complete solution. This system should cost a lot less than the costs of trying to manage the large number of fake calls that happen now and could be managed and funded by all the UK telecoms companies.

Now I will wait for you to "shoot me down in flames".