Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Contract For Two Years Until 23/02/24

Patricia55
Whizz Kid
Message 25 of 25

I received a letter yesterday saying that the price of Unlimited UK Calls Boost will be going up by £2 a month as of 17/06/22. However, I have a set discount of £6.50 a month until 23/02/224, so I just want to make sure that this will be honoured by TT and that it won't be increased until my discount period runs out.

PS - I haven't been here for quite a few years, and things have changed a lot around here!

I've learnt a lot about TT since joining the forum on 30/12/18..........I say no more.
0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Patricia55
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 25

Hi, @fr8ys 

I, too, got the impression that I had a fixed price because of what was printed in My Account. However, I do seem to have fallen into that trap. Never again!

I've just found your message by accident, as I'd left the tab open and had just returned to close it.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Pat

I've learnt a lot about TT since joining the forum on 30/12/18..........I say no more.

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 2 of 25

In my experience, people want to know how much they will pay and not the discounted price off a deal.

It's human nature to take in the information you want and discard information that is, to you, irrelevant at the time.

It's possible that you were told it was a discount off the full price, but focused on the net amount you were to pay.

If you go into billing, there are a lot of people who ask why their prices have increased because they focused on the net price, not the headline price, not the length of the discount or contract.

A prime example of this is a broadband contract for 18 months, but a discounted price for phone for 12 months.

I got the impression from your original post that you had a fixed price and responded accordingly, so to me it now seems you may have yourself fallen into this trap.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Patricia55
Whizz Kid
Message 3 of 25

Thank you for that information, @ferguson .

0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

You can get a fixed price on a broadband package by paying a premium. You cannot get a fixed price on any Boosts.

Patricia55
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 25

Hi, @AllyM 

That's a good question, actually, so I had a look at the confirmation email. However, it only states the discount amount for 24 months, and not the payment amount for that period.

Unfortunately, I discussed and agreed all of my renewal package over the phone, and not via email, so the only thing I have in print is what shows on my account Costs column and, of course, the confirmation email of that renewal. When the chap I spoke to offered me £6.50 a month Calls Boost (not a £7.50 reduction), I didn't think to ask him if that was a fixed cost for the two year contract. However, when it showed up as it does on My Account, as I had expected, I didn't think anything more of it.

Yes, I agree with you about the "£7.50 discount for 24 months" wording being printed twice elsewhere, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that the Costs print specifically states a fixed period of £6.50 for 24 months.

Thank you for getting back to me about that, because I hadn't thought of checking the email. You're right, too, about me "clutching at straws" at this stage, but I'm still determined to make my point to TT about how it has printed the wording, as well as how that wording can be interpreted.

At least there's one thing for sure about all this, and it is that I've learnt a good lesson about ensuring that any print actually means what it says. Oh, and to also make sure that I get a fixed price on everything when I make my next renewal. It's lovely to learn something new every day!

Take care,

Pat

Message 6 of 25

@Patricia55 wrote:

I wasn't offered a £7.50 discount per month, I was offered a £6.50 cost per month for 24 months. Fact.

@Patricia55 , If you are sure of that, do you have proof.

Do you still have the confirmation email from when you renewed, for example? Does it clearly state that?

While I agree that your amended wording in the "costs" column is slightly better, I still think think that the repeated phrase of "£7.50 discount for 24 months" everywhere else strongly suggests that they mean exactly that.

As @Gliwmaeden2 says, that is TalkTalk's usual M.O.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 7 of 25

@Patricia55 I posted no more or less than the position as I saw it. 

0 Likes

Patricia55
Whizz Kid
Message 8 of 25

Hello again, @Gliwmaeden2 and @AllyM 

Yes, @AllyM , I agree that TT's wording, and printing of such, are very poor. Your points are also valid, except for the Costs column. As I pointed out in one of my previous posts.....

Instead of printing "£6.50 a month for 24 months", TT should have printed "£6.50 a month" if it wanted the legal ability to change it at its whim.

Patricia55_3-1653235538060.png

However, it clearly shows in print that my cost will be "£6.50 a month for 24 months." The "£7.50 Discount" was only put there to show the difference between the full cost and my actual payment. When I renewed my contract, I wasn't offered a £7.50 discount per month, I was offered a £6.50 cost per month for 24 months. Fact.

Yes, @Gliwmaeden2 , you're absolutely right about the time and energy needed to pursue the matter as it can be very tedious, especially with TT. However, even though you and everyone here (except for one) has been very helpful, I intend to follow it up with TT.

As for one of the CS's typical and well-known condescending attitude whenever he (she?) decides to butt in where he's not welcome, he rarely has anything worthwhile to contribute, except by stating the obvious and sometimes ambiguous nothingness. Due to his warped pleasure in trying to subtly/obviously insult or annoy people in order to get a response from them, he should know better than to try it here. His nasty habits are extremely boring, and he should have learnt by now that I wouldn't take any notice of them. Inadvertently, or maybe purposely, he is the epitome of everything we don't like about TT.

Anyway, @Gliwmaeden2 , @AllyM , and @fr8ys , I greatly appreciate your input and efforts in trying to help me with this rather quirky little matter. If I do succeed in getting TT to stick to their word(s), I'll certainly let you know.

Take care, and look after yourselves and yours.

Pat

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 9 of 25

I'd agree with @AllyM's interpretation, I'm afraid, @Patricia55.

They tend to keep the amount that it is discounted by as the constant, rather than the previously quoted actual price, which means the customer does get affected by the increase.

At least, that is to say that this is how it was implemented in the past.

When Talktalk raised the Fast Broadband full price charge from £30 to £32 in April 2021, that is precisely how the discount was applied, so my discounted price went up by £2.00, within weeks of being agreed. The amount of discount remained the same. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

AllyM
Philosopher
Message 10 of 25

@Patricia55 ,

I'm sorry but I think you are clutching at straws. The screenshot you posted from MyAccount strongly suggests to me that the agreement was a £7.50 per month discount rather than a fixed monthly cost of £6.50.

It clearly states in the Boosts and features column:

"unlimited UK Calls Boost - £7.50 discount for 24 months"

It clearly states in the Benefits column:

"unlimited UK Calls Boost - £7.50 discount for 24 months"

It is highlighted in red in the Costs column "7.50 discount" and below that the (current) £14 full price is scored through to indicate your current price of £6.50 after the application of your discount.

After the increase, I would expect the caption to change to the full price of £16 scored through and your new actual monthly cost of £8.50 displayed. Your agreed discount of £7.50 per month will be honoured.

In my personal case, it simply states "Free" under the costs section, rather than a specific discount amount. That's why for me the price increase letter was contradictory stating at one point that my cost was going up by £2 per month but at another point that my discount would be honoured.

Patricia55
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 25

TT £2BoostIncreaseJune22(2).jpg

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Message 12 of 25

@ferguson 

The way I read that, it's not £6.50 per month for 24 months, it's a £7.50 discount for 24 months.

So when the full price goes up to £16, @Patricia55 will be paying £8.50 per month for the boost.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 13 of 25

Seems clear to me. @Gliwmaeden2 @AllyM What do you think?

0 Likes

Patricia55
Whizz Kid
Message 14 of 25

Good morning, @Gliwmaeden2 and @AllyM 

Thanks for your messages. I'll get back to you later.

Meanwhile, I'll try and add that image again. I think it failed the first time because I had accidentally clicked on something, so maybe it'll work this time. Have a good day!

TT £2BoostIncreaseJune22.jpg

AllyM
Philosopher
Message 15 of 25

@Patricia55 ,

Unfortunately, the communications they recently sent out about this matter were poorly worded, making them a bit ambiguous, stating that "The price of your Unlimited UK Calls Boost is going up by £2 a month", although buried in a paragraph at the end they stated that "of course, if you're on one of our discounts, we'll honour it".

I would suggest they should have said "The price of our Unlimited UK Calls Boost is going up by £2 a month" with "of course, if you're on one of our discounts, we'll honour it" stated right after it.

Better still, they could have sent out properly personalised communications to every customer confirming how their personal bill will actually be affected (or not) by the price increase.

If your deal stated £6.50 per month for the length of the 24 month contract then TalkTalk should honour that, so perhaps it would be best to see what you actually get billed in the next month before taking any action.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 16 of 25

The specific circumstances of my own case were much like everyone else's, so I am simply citing a relevant example of my own experience, @ferguson! I was in fact replying to the OP's post as your own was not showing at that point.

And I am simply sympathising with the OP's frustrations. 

@Patricia55, in the past most people had a good grumble about this, but got nowhere. 

A few doggedly followed it up through Chat. A very few reported success in hanging onto the previous price.

So, really, it rather depends on whether you have the time and energy to pursue the matter in the light of your other options eg simply to ditch the boost altogether and use the landline very sparingly etc.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 17 of 25

@Gliwmaeden2 With respect, "taking this on" where? No ADR would look at this before any internal complaints procedure had been exhausted as I am sure you know. And what were the specific circumstances of your own case, are they relevant here?

@Patricia55 Unlike others I don't want to give you false hope. You mentioned that you have long had the Calls Boost and never encountered this before, but these changes have been a regular occurrence going back over many years. If you do intend to pursue this further you really need to follow the internal complaints procedure first, you can find a link at the bottom of the page to get this started.

Finally, any luck in sharing what it is you wanted to post in support of your argument? The only thing that came to mind was the email confirmation I got last time I renewed which included this:

Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 19.00.30.png

0 Likes

Patricia55
Whizz Kid
Message 18 of 25

Thanks, @Gliwmaeden2 !

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 19 of 25

I remember when they changed my £5.00 to 50% off during a contract, @Patricia55 - actually fiddled with what was showing in My Account in order to change the price. They have been doing this ever since the invention of the Fixed Price Promise deals several years back.

One or two people have fought it and won. Most of us kick and scream and then keel over in exhaustion. 

I absolutely agree with your understanding of what the principle should be. Good luck taking this on!

Message 20 of 25

All prices are subject to change I'm afraid, it's as simple as that and this is made clear at the point of sale, even if only by a fleeting reference to T&Cs. Your recourse depends on whether it applies to what Ofcom define as the "core package," which is basically broadband and line rental charges extending over a long-term contract. Not other optional features such as call charges, which can be casually incurred on a PAYG basis. Or paid for upfront, but only with a 30 day commitment.

The other key aspect is whether a contractual obligation will directly lead to your "material detriment" over the course of a contract. As you have received notice of the increase in the Boost charge at least 30 days before it occurs and you can cancel it if you prefer not to pay the higher price, that does not apply. 

I don't know what you are trying to show us, but try a selective screenshot and use the camera/image icon to embed it if you wish to share. 

0 Likes