Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threat of late payment fee - but direct debit was taken??

gutt3d
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 6

I'm having a bit of a mare, here.

DD payment was taken today.  So far as I can tell from my account (according to latest PDF bill) the DD was for full amount, which includes a supplement because I requested a change in bill date.  So - normal amount, plus supplement of £6.21 is total amount that was taken by DD today.  All good.

Except this afternoon I got an email warning that I owe £6.21, and if I don't pay it today I'll get a late payment fee.

I tried the web chat.  All they were able to confirm is that direct debit is set up and working fine; and that yes, I do somehow owe an extra £6.21.  I called the customer service, and they confirmed same.  I went through automated payment system which confirmed I owed £6.21 - which I duly paid (because I'd rather that than pay £12.50 "late payment" fee).

My question(s) is/are:

How come the DD apparently took the full amount (according to my PDF bill), yet they still want more?

What's the point of a DD if they're not going to take what they need, and they're going to try and stitch me up with a "late payment fee"?

If they really did need more, why wasn't it itemised on my bill, and taken by the DD?

I have to admit I was actually pretty angry with the threat of a late payment fee when DD is set up: they can clearly take money from my account because they did this month and last month (and there's plenty in there to cover it - but even if there wasn't enough the DD would just bounce, right?)  But I'm also mystified by this extra amount.  It's already itemised in my latest bill, and I can see it's included in the DD they took today.  So what - they want it twice?? What's going on??

Web chat is unhelpful, phone chat equally so.  I need to send someone an email with PDF attachment.  Anyone know of an email address I can contact to find out what's going on?

5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi gutt3d

It would be worth speaking to our Customer Service Team again so they can look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Thanks, but if it's the webchat then I already tried that (see original post).

Message 3 of 6

Hi gutt3d

I'm sorry to hear this.

If you still need help with this then our Customer Service Team can look into this further for you.

If you have a chat with our team here (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Chat/bd-p/socialchat), they’ll get that sorted out for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Thanks, @I8this.

The PDF bill shows the amount due (including the supplement), but doesn't show the amount taken.  I messed up - for which I'm a bit embarrassed - and when going for a screenshot of my bank account, I see that only £31.45 was taken (not the full amount).

So question #1 is answered - the answer is that I'm wrong.  My apologies!

Questions #2 and #3 are still puzzling me though: why didn't they just take the whole amount in the first place, rather than send me a letter warning of a late payment charge??

At least I'm not paying the same fee twice, which is an improvement on where I thought I was a bit earlier! 🙂

I8this
Philosopher
Message 5 of 6

@gutt3d 

See if you can Copy and Paste just the bit, from that PDF, that shows that the full amount was paid. Do not include any of your personal details, name account number etc, If an OCE needs this they will ask for it.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. Now a wizard.