Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of landline to keep telephone number

jonwort
Whizz Kid
Message 6 of 6

Hello

Does anyone have experience to share on this scenario please ...

We are intending to move into a new property which is adjacent (same post code) to our current house. The new property does not yet have a telephone line.

We need to order telephone/broadband for the new property but want to keep our existing telephone number. The incoming owners in our property will want to have telephone/broadband. 

I am trying to avoid the situation of a new number being allocated to the new property, such that it becomes difficult to transfer our existing telephone number to it.

I am thinking we are best to wait until our move is certain, and then request a new line and re-assignment of the telephone number. I think this should result in a new number being assigned to the existing line.

Will this approach work, are there any other process gotcha's to think about to avoid losing our existing telephone number?

Thoughts appreciated, Jon

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi @jonwort

14 days is calendar , 10 is working days, its same timescale as OR generally don't work weekends. Unless there is ducting or routing work required by Openreach we would give the standard timescales, any extra work wont be known until the order is placed.

If you add the new address to the private notes section of your community profile I can ask someone to have a look.

Regards

0 Likes

jonwort
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 6

Thanks for the feedback Arne.

Actually, the home move team said the timescale would be 14 days to establish a new service (not sure whether working days or calendar).

In reality, I am sceptical whether TalkTalk can get BT OR to move that quickly, as I know it took many weeks to get BT OR back to restore the permanent connection to our property (a temporary connection being in place during the build of the new property). 

However, I remain an optimist and have a SIM modem as an interim Internet solution if needed. I'll see what happens once the move is confirmed.

Jon

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi jonwort

If it just needs a master socket fitting, it should be standard times scales which around 10 days from the order being placed, The homemove team will be able to confirm it. 

Regards

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Thanks Arne. It sounds like safest option to keep the number is to wait for a confirmed date.

The new property has never yet had a telephone service so BT OR will need to install a new connection. However, the overhead connection to our house has an intermediate support point on an external wall of the new property.

When BT OR was putting up the support point the guy confirmed to me there is a spare copper pair in the cable, so the physical job of fitting a new master socket is straightforward (assuming an available port at our fibre cabinet around 700m away).

I am just worried about the lead time for BT OR to respond to a TalkTalk request for a new connection. We just need to use a SIM card connection as a temporary workaround.

Jon

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Hi @jonwort

Do you know if the new property has ever had a telephone service, if yes the process will be easier, as this requires a restart of a stopped line.

Best option would be to wait for the move in date to be confirmed then speak to our home move team and ask them to transfer the line to the new property with the same number. 

Regards

0 Likes